The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Aftermarket oil cooler setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttravis88t

Proven Member
Jul 25, 2021
Jacksonville, Florida
So I’ve tested my oil cooler and it’s bad, it was allowing oil to mix with my coolant and I’ve decided it’s better to get an aftermarket solution with an air cooled setup. Anyone know some good ones?

+2
Thats what I run, 90 oil filter housing and AN fittings and lines to the B&M cooler located where the SMIC used to be, but it can be mounted just about anywhere.

You will need to buy a 1990 oil filter housing in order to do this. Then any cooler will work with the right hoses and fittings. Lots of guys use B&M coolers.
Does the 90 housing fit onto a 7.bolt?

Damn, Marty! You run oil lines all the way over to the passenger side of the car (original SMIC location) just for a cooler? OMG

For a 7-bolt, you would need an Evo III or Evo 8 or 9 oil filter housing.

Damn, Marty! You run oil lines all the way over to the passenger side of the car (original SMIC location) just for a cooler? OMG

For a 7-bolt, you would need an Evo III or Evo 8 or 9 oil filter
I got this but I’m not really wanting to change my housing, it’s perfectly fine and is only a few months old. My question is can I use one of these aftermarket oil coolers to mount on the stock one and run it through a air cooler? (See picture)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Only looking into it a little bit, it sounds like something like that might work. The only thing I can say with certainty is that you're introducing more possible leak points going this route rather than simply using a housing built for an external air cooler.

For a 7-bolt, you would need an Evo III or Evo 8 or 9 oil filter housing.
For extra oil capacity Brian.......ROFL
I really didn't want it out in front of the car so I just put it there. The original 90 is almost in the middle of the car anyway, I just went with AN fittings and a nice B&M cooler from one of our vendors and a few extra feet of line.
To the OP, that sandwich adaptor, you realize, will extend the filter out and closer to the downpipe, potentially heating up the oil you are trying to cool.

Only looking into it a little bit, it sounds like something like that might work. The only thing I can say with certainty is that you're introducing more possible leak points going this route rather than simply using a housing built for an external air cooler.
Yeah that is certainly true, but I’m having a hard time wanting to buy another housing after forking over so much to Mitsubishi for a new one that I just got. Think I might try this route and see how it works

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back