The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Aftermarket Oil Cooler Questions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolv4v8

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2002
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I am putting a 6 bolt in my 2G and I want to put in an aftermarket oil cooler such as Setrab or B&M, but I can't seem to find what I need or what sizes I am to use. For one, what size cooler do most people use and what size fittings are people using? I was thinking -6AN, but I am not sure. Also, what are the fittings that go into the oil cooler housing? Thanks

My Aftermarket Kit was a Bumper 2 Bumper P/N 459 - came with 2 threaded hose adapters that threaded into the Oil Filter Housing (you pull the plugs) & some H/D Oil Proof 1/2inch ID Hose & stainless hose clamps - That was the Heavy Duty Kit - Oil Cooler barely fits at an angle in the Drivers side scoop where the Fog Lamp was (relocating) - I probably should have gone with the Lighter Duty smaller Cooler & particularly on a 2G body that would be the way to go. The Kit also comes with an adapter to use in place of the water Cooler which I didn't use - I just cut the threads off the Oil Filter Bolt & loctited it into the housing & spin my filter straight onto the Housing like a 90 Housing or an N/T.

There's a 90 Oil Cooler relo using fancier plumbing on an old Starion at:

http://www.vfaq.com/FAQlocator-index.html

Don't be too concerned with airflow through an oil cooler on a DSM: the additional cooling area and ambient air temp will probably be more than enough to bring about more cooling than the engine can use.
If possible, try to get a thermostatically-controlled oil cooler, too. Especially in Wisconsin. I've been there in the winter. Move away.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back