The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Aftermarket Front Case with OEM Oil Pump? 6-Bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greekgodchaos

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 4, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
Hello fellow Tuners,

I am coming to the last leg of my build/restoration and I was looking at my front case earlier and am thinking of replacing it. I don't really feel comfortable re-using it becuase there is a small nick on one of the holes that feeds oil to the OFH which ended up being one of the oil leaks I had prior to tearing the engine apart, but I also cringe at the fact that a brand new OEM Front Case for a 6-bolt is around $200.

So my question is this: could I use a Topline (or other aftermarket) Front case, but use the OEM Oil Pump Assembly, OEM Stubby Shaft, and OEM Seals with it?

Has anyone done this before? I have read the horror stories about the Topline Oil Pumps and also read that many have been running the aftermarket Cases and Pumps for several years without a hitch, but I am wondering if this combo would work considering the only thing I really need is just a new front case, and the rest of the parts are either new or reusable. Also this will have the Balance Shafts REMOVED so none of those components would be used.

Here is a link to the Front Case I am looking to use: FITS 2.0L MITSUBISHI EAGLE TALON & HYUNDAI SONATA TURBO DOHC 16V OIL PUMP 4G63 | eBay

Personally I'd stay as far as I can away from any Top-line part. I've seen about everything of their's for DSM's Fail at some point... From Pistons with casting flaws to Water pumps that seized up.

OEM is always the best bet.

I Don't have any first hand experience with the Front cases. But keep in mine sometimes you really do get what you pay for and YMMV... .

Honestly, I would cringe more at skimping out on something like that and having a whole build go down the drain... .

Long as you replace the pump with an oem one you will be fine. Replace the rubber parts aswell, because these cheap aftermarket parts dose not use real rubber and will not handle oil well. They will harden quickly and start leaking (from what i have seen in the past like valve cover gaskets).

The aluminum front case will be fine, just replace the rubber pieces and the pump with OEM ones.

It said 14 of it had been sold so i am sure somebody on here must of used one: I think they will be okay.

Oem pump i spent the money and called it a day, not to worry about it again for a long time, versus taking chance on saving a few bucks.

I have bought timing components, water pump, front case and lifters from parts dinosaur.com for my Tacoma, 2001 Galant V6 & a 300+ HP DSM.

Probably would stay away from the oil pump on a 9k rpm 500-600 whp build, but a 300-400 hp build I would feel comfortable. Heck I have the timing bearings & lifters from there on my 550 whp DSM that I take to 8.5k, so I might even think about it myself if I need to replace it one day...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back