The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Aftermarket 1gb Headlights W/HID's and W/Out

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InfiniteGSX

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 10, 2002
Tijeras, New_Mexico
I don't have photos of the headlights with HID's in them, But I will take some tomorrow.

Here is the thread I made when I picked these guys up:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/appearance-interior-exterior/318019-new-1gb-headlights.html
I thought the light output was nice, until I had the HID's installed.

I been having some issues with my old HID kits. They still work, but sometimes flicker off and on. Can't have that. So I felt like putin the Halogen bulbs back in the headlights and fog lights until I can get two new kits for each. I got all but one fog light deprived of the HID bulb and I felt like showing how horrible the light is without HID's.

First Picture is just Silverstar Low Beams, without any fog lights on. Notice there is hardly any light. You can't see the surrounding area's, just a small patch infront of you.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Now this next picture, I already had one of the Fog Lights turned over to Halogen, and the one on the right is still an HID. But this shows you how bad the light is. Honestly, I could get rid of the headlights all together, because these H3 HID Fog Lights, made by AutoZone Fog Lights are killer for light. PERFECT for dark night time driving.

The Headlights with HID's do not put out any glare to oncoming cars. Honestly they just look white and dim. As if I put led's inside. But with HID's, the beam pattern is different so it puts all the light on the road, non into the eyes of other drivers. Which is why I love these headlights. However they SUCK for holding Halogen bulbs. I almost wanna go back to stock if I'm stuck with these halogen bulbs very long.

The Fog Lights with HID's put out alot of glare, but they glare anyways with halogen bulbs. They are just much brighter with HID's. And the range on these fog lights with HID H3 Bulbs is intense. It lights up a huge 180 degree spectrum infront of the car so its easy to see if there are pedestrians or animals about to jump out at you.

Like all warnings say, HID's are Illegal and only intended for off road use unless you got DOT Approved Modified D2S PRojectors retrofited. However with these headlights, there is a very clear and crisp cut off line. So well that oncomming drivers don't see the headlights as bright. I had my brother drive the car towards me while I was half a mile down the road and the headlights were not bright. With Halogen bulbs, they look like they are about to die. But they put out a great light patern on the ground, where light should be.

I hope this was helpful to anyone. If you have any questions, feel free. I know the first question is, where did I get those headlights. Well, Ebay! I know right now there are non visible. But just keep your eyes out, they pop up and down every once in a while. You know how ebay is.

Also about my knowledge of HID's. I've installed tons of aftermarket kits on numerous cars. including everyone of my own. I know all about glare, what causes it, what prevents it, and how to prevent glare with HID kits or even Halogen bulbs. The technology is inside H4 Bulbs! Its why HID bulbs come in two kinds, D2S for Projectors, and D2R for Reflector Housing Headlights, which have a cutoff plate on the bottom of the bulb so it doesn't put light where it shouldn't.

This is not for city use, you can get pulled over and cited. It is strictly for off road use. I have to make sure to say this, even tho I know nobody will listen, cause neither will I haha. I've only been pulled over once, and that was in my accord that had JDM Headlights which have a beam pattern that actually produces more glare on the driver side of the car, because they drive on the opposite side of the road.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Image130.jpg
    Image130.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 829
I'm about to grab me a set when I noticed how pathetic my light output truely is last night.

Well your gonna have to wait a while. Motor is being ripped out of the car, again.

97 GSX 97, you talkin about the aftermarket 2gb headlights? I think there is a thread goin on about their light output being just as bad. My official suggestion for anyone with these headlights, is to pickup HID's. Cause with regular halogens you can barely see during a clear dark night.

yes please tell and find link to them, im very interested in these fogs

i put hid's in my 2g and they look amazing def a good upgrade to our stock headlights well worth the money sorry i know the thread is about 1g;s

Agree with the others, my fogs suck and have been looking for those headlights for a while. What brand and temp are your hid's and where/how do I find the fogs? :pray:

VatoZone! I just was in autozone and saw these fog lights that were similar to the stock Marshals so I picked them up. Had a H3 HID Kit already, and shoved them in. Light output on the fogs are insane. But do glare. The headlights, you just gotta keep looking, or pickup the chrome ones. Honestly unless you get HID's, the headlights aren't really worth it. Light output sucks! But I have 6000k HID's.

Here are the install of the new Fogs:
I cut a little of the plastic off of the bumper so that the metal bracket would fit the HID's right. And I used some spare bolts to bolt through this hole that was avail.

Stock Marshal Fog:

Awsome thread Josh...Great write up.. Awsome information.. Do you have any pics of your hid's in your stock housing, when you didn't screw it up like I did?

I didn't screw my stock housings up like you did! LOL And no I don't. But when I blacked out my stock housings, I didn't lose any lighting. Cause I didn't paint the reflector like you did! LOL.

Well your gonna have to wait a while. Motor is being ripped out of the car, again.

97 GSX 97, you talkin about the aftermarket 2gb headlights? I think there is a thread goin on about their light output being just as bad. My official suggestion for anyone with these headlights, is to pickup HID's. Cause with regular halogens you can barely see during a clear dark night.

No. I want to try a true retrofit in mine, but temporarily I'm probably just going to run an HID kit in the stock headlights. I'm well aware of glare so if anyone wants to grow some hair on your peaches and tell me otherwise don't try. I'm aware of the positives and the negatives of running HID's in non HID headlights.

Where did you put the ballasts for the fogs?
I bolted the Balasts temporarilly on the bumper support. It was just temporary. I plan on getting an aftermarket bumper frame to replace the heavy beast.
No. I want to try a true retrofit in mine, but temporarily I'm probably just going to run an HID kit in the stock headlights. I'm well aware of glare so if anyone wants to grow some hair on your peaches and tell me otherwise don't try. I'm aware of the positives and the negatives of running HID's in non HID headlights.

Well I've spoke of a few ways to properly reduce said glare with small modifications to the stock housings that aren't hard at all. You could try them. Just look at a H4 Bulb's low beam up close, you'll see what you need to do to reduce glare...

All you have to do is create some sort of Shield on the 9006 bulb, to block the bulb from the bottom half of the Reflector Housing. The best you can do this, the better you can reduce any light aiming up towards anyone's eyes (oncoming cars)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back