The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

1G After warming up and driving around car struggles to start once turned off

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91tsieli

Probationary Member
Oct 24, 2022
Colorado, Colorado
After the car is fully warmed up and has been driven and then turned off once you try to start it again it will idle rough and at lower rpm (about 400 to 600) and die within a few seconds. And if you try to give it gas it will die. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Still figuring out thease cars. Thanks

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of car, and what kind of modifications does it have
It's a 91 tsi. I'm not sure about injectors or anything internal like that I'm still new to these cars. But it's got a gm maft and boost controller. I did have to hood all the emissions things back up on it and the fiav to the throttle body. All of that was deleted when I got it.

I can't make it out in your video but there are several warning lights on when it fails that aren't on when it started. I think the one of them is the Check Engine Light. It also sounds like it's not firing all the cylinders.

Before I'd spent any time or money on anything else I'd pull the ECU and look for corrosion cause my leaking capacitors and make sure there isn't any other damage or burn marks.

Next step would be to try and inventory what's on the car and get pictures. If this isn't the ECU then it could be almost anything and we'll need to know how it's different from stock to make good suggestions.

Sorry for getting back late. But the car has some mods but their old and done poorly. It has a GM MAF with MAFT, when I got it the IAC and FIAV were deleted and the EGR was plated off and full emissions were deleted.

It also had a Megan 3in turbo back but I switched it all back to stock except the GM MAF. And it still has the crappy boost controller

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back