The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

After market stereos outdated?? thing of the past??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alright, it looks like the whole display and illumination is a soldered unit. I am changing my previous opinion to that this won't be as easy and may not be worth the trouble.

Ever hear a stock head unit next to a decent(not uber high priced) Kenwood or Alpine? Or even Pioneer? It's like finding out you were born with cotton wads in your ears, night and day difference. I always was and still am a huge fan of aftermarket stereos, and will have at least a good headunit and speakers in whatever I drive. A motor can only be entertaining for so long, and besides, a "true" enthusiast doesn't have to listen to their engine, they can feel it LOL.

I've been more than happy with my sony that has the ipod hook-up that charges my ipod and allows me to control it from my radio. 'Bout the best radio I bought yet. Rarely ever use it for the actual radio or CDs.

Actually, that does look nice. If it weren't blue/green lighting, I'd snatch it up right now.... well that, and no Bluetooth (wirelessly play grooveshark from my phone)

That stereo does look really nice and oem. But I agree, I hate having different colored lights and gauges. I like everything to be orange.

And Bluetooth audio is the best! I got a new car recently and it starts playing my music from my phone automatically when I start the car. :rocks:

I'm not too sure about the LCD display color, but in the product description, it says it can have red backlit buttons. It would be a little closer to stock at least.

I sell audio/video equipment for a living, and while the market has faded its not completely gone. I have a DD touchscreen DVD/Sat unit in my Redline that sounds head and shoulders above what GM called their "Advanced Audio System" (which included a factory amp, 4 2ohm 6.5's, and tweets).

I replaced all the factory speakers with MB Quart components, and put two entry level Power Bass 12's in the trunk. 240 watt 4 channel for the mids & highs and a 1000 watt mono for the subs. Sound is crisp and clear and more bass than any person really needs any way.

Check around your local shops and look online, there are reasonably priced head units out there that have a ton of features, and it is simple to install a deck and four in a DSM.

I just think its funny that speaker/amp/head unit tech hasnt improved since I bought my first stereo, but prices sure havent dropped that much, and considering most people just want the thing for a single headphone jack in the front. The whole industry cant be doing good, new cars stereos are nicer than most aftermarket ones.

While I like having a screen in my car, I typically buy the refurbished 2-3 year old stuff. Save some cash, have the ability to watch DVDs when stuck in traffic and hook up the ipod. Like that one energy shot company slogan, "it works for me".

i got a pioneer 6000 all nice blue im going to change all the lights in the car to blue real soon...:)

I am running a 88$ special from Crutchfield's. Its got rear usb so I am happy. Got a 32gb thumb drive that still isn't quite full. It does everything I need it too, and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than an iwhatsit.

Like Absit said, I'm also not a sound guy. I like my background noise and that's all.

That said, my 1g had the stock stereo in it and stock cd player from 1993. The stereo barely barely worked, the cd-player only played one cd, a early 90's black sabbath cd. And it skipped through it and randomly spit it out. So I did throw a $40 wal-mart head unit in it. Plays cd's fine, gets reception good, plays my ipod. minimal crackling during bass due to stock speakers. More than enough for me.

Like Absit said, I'm also not a sound guy. I like my background noise and that's all.

That said, my 1g had the stock stereo in it and stock cd player from 1993. The stereo barely barely worked, the cd-player only played one cd, a early 90's black sabbath cd. And it skipped through it and randomly spit it out. So I did throw a $40 wal-mart head unit in it. Plays cd's fine, gets reception good, plays my ipod. minimal crackling during bass due to stock speakers. More than enough for me.

Ill be doing this, only becuase my stocker wont get the radio.

Buy a head unit with an auxilary in or bluetooth support and get a subscription to Grooveshark.

Bam, all the music in the world, streamed right down your 3g/4g connection

I would be interested in a media deck. I don't play cd's, DVD's or any sort of compact disk. I would want it to have remote ipod/flash drive inputs. Maybe a double din so you could load movies or music videos and play it through the screen. Do they make something like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back