The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

After market stereos outdated?? thing of the past??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2geclipse565

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 23, 2006
Menifee, California
Is it just me or does any one else think the aftermarket stereo companies have pretty much ran out of luck when it comes to selling outdated technology in overpriced stereo? I was in my car the other day and was seriously considering duct taping my ipad to my dash to have one of the most advanced cars stereos in the city. I mean really whats missing a speaker amp?!? I dont get how alpine and companies like it can charge over $1000 for a piece of brand new equipment that is outdated by the time you bring it home. I think and hope its do or die time for these stereo companies its time for upgradable equipment. NO replacement is not an upgrade, software updates. I think this is the one electronic that has just been left in the dust. And by the looks of it the car companies are stepping in to fill the void the aftermarket companies left out. You can get an ipad or android powered tablet which is about 10% of the size of any stereo available and around 210% more functional for about $500. So why do i still have to pay the same price for a 4x7 screen that only plays cds?!?

OEM is best EM.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My car came with oem radio. I replaced it with my old pioneer cd/mp3 and usb. All I have to do is upload songs to my flash drive. Its cool,but it can take awhile to get to the song you want to hear.

I'd rather have the clean OEM look and burn a few CDs than have to deal with the cost, installation, and "flash" of most aftermarket units that offer nothing I want.

I'm actually going to crack mine open and try to change the backlight color some time in the future.

If you really think our OEM sound systems don't suck, you are delusional. It will do what it needs to do, but it certainly doesn't do it good.

Guess I'm not a sound system guy, it plays CDs and doesn't crackle, it's enough for me.

I'd rather have the clean OEM look and burn a few CDs than have to deal with the cost, installation, and "flash" of most aftermarket units that offer nothing I want.

Agreed.

I'm actually going to crack mine open and try to change the backlight color some time in the future.

I'm planning on attempting the same thing. Let me know if you have success.

I have mine open right now, it looks like it's pretty easy.

I agree i think they look cheap and silly with all the flahing lights. All new cars have nice stereos and nice surround systems. In the next few years these companies will no longer be making them.

the only reason why they had aftermarket was if the car only had a tape player? right or wrong? if you have a cd player why go out and spend 100+ on a cd player?

My 90 still has the OEM Radio. Doesn't play CD's though and can't hook my phone/ipod up to it. LOL I'll probably get rid of it (but gonna keep in my possession) for a nice Alpine Double-Din.

Better skip protection? The ability to play ripped CDs? MP3 options? The built in amp on an aftermarket unit is almost always better than the OEM crap you get? A head unit capable of some good sound out of your new speakers? HD radio? Satellite radio?

Not all OEM units come with this stuff, even today.

It doesnt sound like any of you guys except maybe a few know anything about car audio? You should do some research. It's kind of like asking why anyone would put performance parts on there cars.

It doesnt sound like any of you guys except maybe a few know anything about car audio? You should do some research. It's kind of like asking why anyone would put performance parts on there cars.

I do know quite a bit on car audio, it really depends on what the user needs it for (just like performance parts as you mentioned). Sure you get better quality but not everyone needs that.

I think I paid $150 shipped for my simple looking Kenwood that has a USB port. I have a 8GB flash drive loaded with random music that I always keep plugged in. Music for days without ever burning/buying a CD and without spending big bucks for a deck. I hit shuffle and drive. It was and still is the perfect solution for me.

Not all aftermarket units are all flashy either. Sony and Pioneer offer many reasonable options. Especially the AVH series from Pioneer.

I love a good stereo system. I listen to music a lot of the time I'm driving and I can't stand bad stereo systems but that's just me.

I do know quite a bit on car audio, it really depends on what the user needs it for (just like performance parts as you mentioned). Sure you get better quality but not everyone needs that.

You'll find the vast majority of users here aren't really "in" to car audio. Music when I'm driving is just background noise, or something to turn up to drown out my girlfriend. It's usually about the furthest thing from my mind.

I want my car fast because I want to race it, I can't think of any exciting competitive way to use a stereo system, short of those neon-filled thump contests.

You'll find the vast majority of users here aren't really "in" to car audio. Music when I'm driving is just background noise, or something to turn up to drown out my girlfriend. It's usually about the furthest thing from my mind.

I want my car fast because I want to race it, I can't think of any exciting competitive way to use a stereo system, short of those neon-filled thump contests.

I know most users on here aren't into car stereo I just figured this was a thread about it.
I guess it's just because its my DD. I do find myself listening to my car more than my stereo but I like that it's there and when I listen to music it sounds good. It's nice to just pop the hatch and have clear good sounding music at the lake too LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back