The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

afc 1g, 2g or 3g?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

out there

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 8, 2002
Fargo, North_Dakota
can anyone offer me any insight as to what afc i should buy? the older all dial one, the blue screen, or the latest? if they all do the same thing... it would be much cheaper to get the older one, right? or do the newer ones have more features?

here is a summation to my understanding:

1st gen (black box w/ knobs)
-8 adjustment points @ 500 rpm increments
-only can adjust +/- 30% from stock
-not sure on price

2nd gen (blue VFD)
-8 adjustment points @ 500 rpm increments
-can adjust +/- 50% from stock
-can be had NEW on ebay for ~$220

3rd gen (blue or black VFD)
-12 adjustment points @ 200 rpm increments
-can adjust +/- 50% from stock
-can also hold two separate fuel maps (nitrous/non-nitrous map, pump gas/race gas map, etc.)
-ability to read timing (not sure how this feature works on DSM's)
-can be had NEW on ebay for ~$300

hope this helps some.

~matt

yeah, that does.... does anyone have the newest afc yet? any opinions of one against the other from experience?
i am kind of tempted to go for the newest one because it offers different fuel maps... but it wouldn't be that hard to just write down the settings and change them, right? so far, i think i'll go after a used 2g (maybe new), unless someone can offer up some info to shift my mind around

Originally posted by andol469
I *believe* the latest version of the S-AFC can interpret readings from the knock sensor (it can display knock counts.) Only on 1gs though.

i haven't heard of anyone (neither 1g nor 2g) getting this feature to work correctly. no one seems to know whether the AFC tries to interpret the signal from the knock sensor on it's own, or whether it reads the ECU's output (which has already been interpreted)

~matt

Damn, I remember when S-AFC II first came out, everyone was excited it could display knock counts. So no one's been able to get it to work then? Oh well, if that's the case I'll save some cash and buy the 2nd generation S-AFC :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back