The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

AEM wideband controller

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autronicDSM

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 4, 2002
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Anybody seen those available anywhere yet? Looking on google I only found one place selling these. http://www.ks-motorsports.com/ has it for under 400 which is not bad since on AEM site it says it includes Bosch sensor.

I am running one along with my EMS. I used the TechEdge before that and while the TE was awesome I wanted the AEM version for compatibility reasons. I recommend checking with RRE for prices, as mine was under $350. Any other questions just ask. BTW, there is no gauge with it right now, so its only useful if you have other logging means. -Ian

I realize AEM EMS is junk along with their wideband controller but they're only other one I Know that has 0-1V corrected output. My top choice is http://www.aussieimportsllc.com/Analyzer.htm but it's $1700. I'm going to tune my car soon and guy at the dyno shop told me he can't output 0-1V so I'm screwed on logging A/F. I'd like to try new feature in the softaware for my ECU that uses log to calibrate rest of the map based on set and logged A/F.

Uhhhhh, WTF are you talking about? The EMS is the most advanced and easily usable tuning solution EVER. John Shepard switched to one and that kept him competitive through the end of last year. The EMS is perhaps the single greatest mod I have ever done. Their WBO2 is AMAZING for that or any price. It comes pre calibrated to .1 AFR accuracy and I have no question that when I check it against a Horiba unit next Friday that it will be dead on. The TechEdge unit also has 0-1V limited output.

Do some freaking research before dissing a product like that. -Ian

Maybe you should do some research before you call this thing the most advanced.

AEM wideband is a true wideband. You can find them for $325-350 with the sensor and everything ready to go.

Has a 0-1v and 0-5v output. They also have a dual channel controller that controls two widebands with the same box.

I used the autotronic one posted above. Its a pain in the ass and the AEM/FJO are way better. The autotronic takes 5-7 minutes to heat up before you can even start the car. So if you don't mind just chillin each time you have to do something. Plus, its made to tune, then take out. Its not a solution to leave in the car like the aem/fjo or others.

AEM is nice for leaving in the car. For other uses I got a new one on the way that is just plain awesome. Uses the same bosch sensor, with a display. Has built in logging, knock sensor (with head phones jacks to listen), inputs for 4 other 0-5v sensors, logging to laptop, and a pimp single din graphing display. The display can pause, rewind, and do all sorts of stuff. Still a few weeks before they are pubically available, but they rock.

Why in the world would you want to drive around with a wideband all the time besides 'cool-factor' at the rice meets? Once you tune you don't need it. What's so great about AEM/FJO? I've used Autronic wideband before and it's great, first it doesn't take 5 minutes to heat up, 2 at the most. Since controller has a built in display you can use it on any car unlike AEM box so you could rent it out to your buddy with SAFC if he wants to.

How about so the car can do open loop when cruising around.

AEM will have a display soon enough. If not, FJO, TE and the others all have a display. Plus, there are others coming out that have many more features.

I've used the autronitcs, and it does work well, but the others work better.

Maybe, but you don't need wideband for open loop since AFRs are like from maybe 13.0:1 to 15.6:1 and regular narrow band is just fine for open loop feedback. How much are those Bosh sensors anyways? Aren't they like over $200 and last lot less then regular narrow band, especially when you have it in O2 housing? High temps will kill them quick. Then again you might want to impress all the ricers so it might be worth it :)

Care to share what other 'top secret' new widebands are coming out besides HKS?

Its not HKS.

Bosch sensors are $40. They have a good life and can be used daily driven.

Originally posted by Unreal
Bosch sensors are $40. They have a good life and can be used daily driven.

Define 'good'?

(not trying to be a wise-ass, just want to know)

$40 for a wideband :cry: Show me the link.

Then what other brand is coming out that you refuse to share with the rest of us? Perhaps you should quit talking out of your ass.

The bosch widebands are $40-45. I paid exactly $40 for one. It doesn't matter if you believe me or not, thats reality.

when someone refers to the wideband unit that needs to warm up.....does that mean literally? u mean u have to warm up the unit before u can drive around? im sorry about the newbie questions, but i would like to get a WBO2, but im on a strict budget.

Yes, you have to sit and wait as the heater wires in it actually warm it up to operating temp. If you start the car before then, you damage it.

No you will not damage it. I have driven around with the Horiba Lamda sensor in the car before and I did not have it on. Anyways the warm up time is only like 2 mins. Just who here gets in their car and starts gunning it with in 2 mins when you are trying to tune it. If you do then you do not need to own a car period. Now the AEM is not a TRUE wide band it is a ueigo (sp) type. So it is not a true wide band. There for it is not as precise as a horiba or true wide band. The AEM uegio (sp) will not long knock, but it does have a 0-1 volt out put and a 0-5 volt out put, and yes you can use it as a o2 input of a Haltech or AEM or any sandalone that uses a o2 sensor in the system that thake a 0-1 volt input. Now that is nice about it.
Now I kinda agree with not having the wideband in the car at all times, And I kinda do not agree with it also. For Me I like to see air to fuel ratio. I am running a Haltech so I know exactly where the timing is at. But on hot days or cold (but I am in Hawaii no cold days here) the Air / Fuel Ratio can be off. While timing remains the same. So you may need to do some adjusting on the fuel trim. But if you do that then you need to know where you are at on it also.
Now as for Shepard running better on the AEM. Hell I wonder why... Anyone who goes from a EFI PMS to a 100% true standalone unit will do better. I guarantee that the AEM that he is running is not the Plug and play one. It is more than likey the full on race version. But that is just my assumpution on it. I am a Haltech person I like them they are tried and proven. Extream went 8.??? something, Magnus is running 9.4s on it so I guess it works ok. I know I know what about KNOCK.... Well most well tuned car are not using a knock sensor. But if you rally must have on the Buick boys have a knock retard box out. Or the J&S works just fine.
Sorry for the long post . I hope I have put some light on the subjuct, or I may have made it worse. And if I miss spell words or skiped a few words OH F****n well.

Luke
LILGSX96 haltech, 6bolt, 272,272 cams and stuff.....

Shep runs the "aem" because he already had a gems ecu. The aem ecu is a gems unit, aem only makes the hardware interface. Before Jason started working for aem he sold the same unit with different software under the name "proefi". That's what John had. He simply switched his software.
Haltech E6k is easy as hell to use. All you have to do is move some bar graphs, wow that's confusing :rolleyes: . The only hard part is getting an intial base map setup, but if you can't do that you honestly shouldn't have a stand alone anyway.
I'd rather had DOS software too, windows is a PITA and causes more errors than it's worth.

Another option is the TE version 2.0 and the FJO.

Version 2.0 uses a bosch sensor.

Bosch sensors are less than the NTK but their are two versions. The more expensive one is a bit more accurate. It's still cheaper than the NTK. I think it's mostly supply and demand issues. As run of the mill cars begin to sprout these type of sensors the prices will likely continue to drop.

FWIW I think AEM, TE and FJO all three are good units.

The FJO is probably top and the AEM beats the TE.

Originally posted by NJR Racing
does anybody know a site to buy the techedge or fjo widebands.....

Magnus motorsports sells them with the accompanying accessories like a LED display.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back