The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

AEM UEGO- Never Again!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I bought my car about two years ago. One of things included was a new AEM wideband gauge and sensor (aka UEGO). The kit was literally spankin' new, but had been removed from the packaging and stuffed into a small box. It was one of the first things installed when I got the car running for the first time a few months later. The gauge was powered from the kick-panel fuse box using a 10 amp pigtail fuse. It was grounded straight to the chassis with a spade connector. The sensor was installed into a bung I welded into the dowpipe right after the flex section.

Right from the beginning I had problems with the gauge logging correctly in DSMLink (which is a very common problem). After tinkering with all the different AEM inputs, the closest I could get it was within .1 between the gauge and Link. About a year later the gauge suddenly began reading differently and I had to mess with Link again to get it to work. This time even more innacurate than before (within .2).

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. While driving down the road the gauge suddenly went black. I figured the fuse might have blown or something like that. After inspecting the wiring and finding no issues, I pulled the gauge and hooked it straight to a power source. No change. Testing with a voltmeter shows zero continuity between power and ground pins on the gauge. So the conclusion is the gauge simply broke. So I decide to try and call AEM. Apparently the warranty period for AEM electronics is 12 months. Even if I had the original purchase receipt, they won't replace or repair the gauge. After only 2 years and 5k miles, the product is considered well past it expected lifespan and the failure is not a surprise to its manufacturer.

Thanks to AEM's poor manufacturing and even worse warranty policy, I'm now out $200 for a new wideband. Will I buy another AEM? Absolutely not.

Small update to this. A friend of mine was interested in buying the sensor and wiring, and he would source a new gauge himself. However, a quick search of AEM's site and forums revealed that AEM does not sell replacement gauges at all. They won't even sell replacement black gauge faces and bezels.

So buyer beware, your purchase comes with very little protection and even less replacement options. They might as well be sold "as is".

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back