The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

AEM Stand Alone <===Need Input/Opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayHass

20+ Year Contributor
May 29, 2002
Metro_Hartford_CT
Hey guys, my plan was to do a 2g maf, and AFC BUT some mice chewed on my harness and the stock ECU is dead.

For the cost of a new ECU and the above mods, I'm halfway to the AEM's cost.

Just looking for input from anyone who has used it in a 1G. I'm not concerned about stand alone vs AFC as I'm familiar with programing from scratch. I'm more looking for info about the unit's flexibility and abilities to run the car. Any problems, any downfalls with the unit etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by JayHass
BUT some mice chewed on my harness and the stock ECU is dead.

WFT?? How did that happen.

For the cost of a new ECU and the above mods, I'm halfway to the AEM's cost.

WTF??? thats one hellava expensive ECU you have there!

Btw, I've nothing but praise when it came to the AEM. If I had the dough that would def. be my first choice!

Originally posted by airbrat

WTF??? thats one hellava expensive ECU you have there!

Btw, I've nothing but praise when it came to the AEM. If I had the dough that would def. be my first choice!

Huh? The AEM is $1100-1350. Add up an ECU, 2g maf, and an AFC and you are half way there.

Regarding mice...it happens more than you think. Some little bastard made a home under the intake plenum near the coilpacks and then decided to chew his way inside through the heater core.

My car was/is parked for a while as I don't drive it every day...sometimes it'll sit for a couple weeks. It is/was just a beater but I've decided to put some cash into it and do another project car....sigh, why not. :cool:

Originally posted by rdrkt
Jay the AEM forums are your best bet. A lot of really good tech is found there give it a try :thumb:

i was just about to say that, for questions regarding the EMS, AEMs site is the best resource. Ive heard that the stock maps have been doing pretty good lately though.

Originally posted by rdrkt
Jay the AEM forums are your best bet. A lot of really good tech is found there give it a try :thumb:

Yea thanks...I've been over there already. I just wanted some opinions outside of AEM's site.

So far it looks like a go...I can't find another set up for the money that is as flexible and powerful. Plug and play...how can you beat that!

You can do so much crap with the AEM that's almost overwhelming.

I'd go with something else, since you stuck using the now chewed-up stock harness with the AEM-

E6k with harness is probably $1100-

Originally posted by Dyre
I'd go with something else, since you stuck using the now chewed-up stock harness with the AEM-

E6k with harness is probably $1100-
While I understand exactly where you are coming from. Most people would view having to redo your engine harness a big negative.

Huh? The AEM is $1100-1350. Add up an ECU, 2g maf, and an AFC and you are half way there.
What makes you think that the price you quoted for AEM comes with all you need? You will still need to buy the optional sensors to convert to MAP.

i would bite the bullet and go AEM, it's important to remember that all the SAFC is doing is tricking the stock ECU and that you would still be running a MAF. the 2G MAF is good for some pretty descent power, but it's still a intake restriction. Another added benifet of AEM EMS is all the added features and adjustability, but with that in the wrong, untrained hands, could cause an engine blow.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back