The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECMlink aem failsafe

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The AEM failsafe has a ground output, so its very flexible in what it can do. Depending on what you are trying to do it may or may not work.

I'm not familiar with the AEM Failsafe, but you aren't going to shut the car down within ECMLink. My guess is you would use the Failsafe separately to control the MPI or ignition circuit through a separate relay. If it has a 0-5v wideband output, you could feed that into ECMLink to monitor AFR... but not control anything with it.

With that said, there are ways that you CAN do some of that with ECMLink, by using the programmable EGT or FPS solenoid outputs and a bit of creativity.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=products/gauges/failsafe-gauges/wideband-failsafe-gauge

@Calan

After the engine is tuned and a safe operating window of AFR is established, the Wideband FAILSAFE Gauge continually monitors AFR and boost or vacuum to make sure that AFR does not fall out of the defined operating window at a given boost or vacuum level. If the Wideband Failsafe detects an out of range AFR reading, the gauge triggers a low side output (ground signal with a 1.5 amp draw max) that can save your engine from catastrophic damage (see example strategies, below).

Use the gauge’s intuitive software to configure the low side output, create a user-adjustable time delay strategy to prevent false alarms, and customize the gauge lighting to flash and alert the driver if an alarm is triggered.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Use the Wideband Failsafe gauge's intuitive software to establish a safe AFR operating window, configure the low side output to trigger a failsafe strategy and set a time delay strategy to prevent false alarms

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The Wideband Failsafe Gauge contains an on-board data logger for logging over three hours of data recording (20 Hz per parameter) of AFR, RPM, boost, alarm, and others. Data logs can be downloaded for viewing in AEMdata software.

Additionally, the Wideband Failsafe Gauge is an ideal engine tuning tool. The highly accurate Bosch AFR wideband sensor is maintenance free and never requires free-air calibration, enabling you to fine tune AFR from an AEM programmable engine management system, any other programmable EMS or piggyback programmer. For carbureted applications, it can tell you when it’s time to swap carb(s), change jets or simply modify fuel pressure.

EXAMPLE ENGINE PROTECTION STRATEGIES
NATURALLY ASPIRATED, TURBOCHARGED OR SUPERCHARGED WITH STAND ALONE EMS OR PIGGYBACK CONTROLLER: Can use the low side output to cut revs, retard timing, trigger a separate fuel or ignition map and activate an ancillary warning light. Users with turbos can also trigger the device to cut boost (may require separate solenoid). The aforementioned strategies are provided as an example. Available failsafe strategies will ultimately be dependent on the capability of the EMS or piggyback engine controlle

My question is whether or not you think this would be or could be interfaced to easily interact with DSMLink to save the motor.

So from the basic understanding it seems that I need to do more research and see what can use a ground signal within ECM link or perhaps the boost solenoid in my car to either cut timing or perhaps reduce boost to stock waste gate pressure in the event of a lean condition,In regards to the output of a failsafe guage within the vehicle

So from the basic understanding it seems that I need to do more research and see what can use a ground signal within ECM link or perhaps the boost solenoid in my car to either cut timing or perhaps reduce boost to stock waste gate pressure in the event of a lean condition

I already gave you the answer:

...you aren't going to shut the car down within ECMLink. My guess is you would use the Failsafe separately to control the MPI or ignition circuit through a separate relay.

The only thing you can do within ECMLink is use the programmed condition windows to control the EGT or FPS outputs, and then use those to drive an external relay....but they don't have an AFR condition that you can test. You may be able to tap into the idle switch input and use it to cut fuel through the auxiliary fuel mapping, but that is a bad idea IMO.

Just use the failsafe independently. Route it's output to a relay, and run the ignition or fuel control signal through that.

Sorry @Calan I am new to this , I appreciate your patience and detailed response. Im just finally getting around to dropping my motor in my car and want to get as much of an understanding as possible going on I am trying to protect this investment as much as i can

@Calan I was thinking in my my mind that if i ran a Boost control solenoid on a relay as suggest that I could use the group signal to shut the boost control solenoid off and it would default back to the base pressure of the wastegate spring therefore cutting out the high boost level?

I know this is dragging up an old thread, but I was just searching for this information myself. Expanding a bit on the idea to use an ignition cut:

You can use the ground trigger on a NC (normally closed) relay connecting ignition or spark. Then the relay opens if it gets a signal and cuts spark, while you could achieve this from fuel cut it could spike a lean condition worst case scenario. This is the option I like and as a bonus you can place that relay inside the cockpit and pull it out when parking your car for added protection. Not too many car thiefs will know to look for it or have a spare relay on them.

Bonus: I also installed a fuel pump kill switch when I did the fuel pump rewire.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back