The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

AEM AEM EMS Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4TireFire

Probationary Member
Nov 22, 2003
MaineUS
I am purchasing a AEM EMS for my 91 Eclipse. I decided to go stand alone as i plan on building a 10sec. car over the next couple years and dont want to spend money twice or run out of options with whatever i buy. I have 2 questions on this unit.

First: how well will this system work with minimal upgrades for now including free flow exhaust. fuel system and air upgrades, and 17PSI. I assume with the range of adjustment this would work fine with proper tuning but wanted a few opinions...

Second: Are items like MAF translators, AFCs, dataloggers, ect. still necessary with a stand alone AEM unit? I wasnt sure if the AEM would control everything or if a piggyback setup with some of these items was preferred or necessary. I want all the tools i need to have the car properly tuned at a Dyno shop and be able to compensate for any mods throughout my process of upgrades. I also want to become educated along the way to decrease tuning costs in the future!!!
Any input much appreciated!
thanks guys

first off.....congratulations on the aem that you just bought, those things are the shit, i might look into one of those next year, my buddy has one for his supra and its awesome, by purchasing the aem, you no longer need any of those devices you mentioned above like the afc and other electronic devices like that, the aem controls everything and even nitrous, if you plan on using it later in the future, you can have it kick in when it reaches a certain amount of boost.....like i said, the aem is cool and you have total control of the cars engine with it, as well as other things.

Later

The AEM is not a novice device. It is a hard item to tune even for people with prior standalone experience. Make absolutely sure that your deal to buy the AEM also includes tuning time, otherwise you have done yourself a great disservice.

You will end up liking the AEM EMS very much, but only after some teething time. IMO it is a great tuning item, especialy if you use a UEGO unit with it, however do not underestimate how much work, time and money it will take to get it tuned correctly.

You do not need a MAF translator, AFC, or anything, although you could, but you do not need any of it. I used a speed density type air flow measurment, as alot of others do with the AEM unit. To use it in that mode will require a MAP sensor (GM 3bar or AEM 3.5 bar or equiv) and a IAT intake air temp sensor also a GM unit. You can use almost any type of air flow measurement device, karmen vortex, hot wire, flaper door, ect. with the AEM EMS.

Your best bet is to buy it from a known good local vendor, that has expierence with the AEM EMS. That vendor should also offer product support and tuning, something you need to talk to them about before making your purchase.

I agree that the EMS is a good system but you need the following:
MAP sensor (3 or 3.5 bar)
GM IAT
UEGO

The EMS does not work with the Karmen Vortex MAF. AEM says it will but it doesn't. I tried to get my car to run with the stock MAF and gave up. I was told by AEM that since I removed the small screen in the MAF that the airflow readings would be too erratic to get good results. I converted to MAP and the car was running, idling, and driving within 5 minutes. I will be installing a 0-5v MAF later as I have been told by the Ford guys that they do not have any problems.

Take your time with the tuning. Small documented steps help to avoid disasters. Or try a tuner like TorqueFreaks. Sean tuning a friend’s car and it runs better than ever.

Good luck with it. Don't ever give up on it. It is hard to use but it is worth it.

Chris

I had no problems getting my car to run on the stock MAS. The EMS is great, but it does take a lot of studying. The wideband is also a must. Check out the techedge unit. The V2 uses a $40 VW sensor. The unit is great, and it is much easier to use now than it was when I first started.

I had no problem with the EMS with V0.94. But after I sent the EMS in to have the UEGO resistor fixed they installed V1.03 and it has not worked with the stock MAF since. I tried to convert back to V0.94 but it still did not work.

So if you have the new V1.03 go speed density unless you plan on using a 0-5v MAF. Also, V1.03 is a lot easier to use because of the templates and other changes.

Chris

yes, i will definately run speed density, all the tuning shops have expressed the advantages of this route and the elimination of inline air metering devices that restrict airflow. To my surprise they also mentioned the MAF translators and GM MAFs dont give huge results over stock. at least not enough for them to push the idea over speed density.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back