The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

AEM AEM ems series 2 does not start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Brevikdal

Probationary Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hitra, Europe
hi, i need some help. Has an Eclipse 1998 GSX. have bought me AEM ems, have installed it. then I have MAP sensor and AIT sensor and 850 FIC. I'm attach some pictures so you can see how it's done. Have tried to get it started but it does not want to. hear it sparks incorrectly.

Need help getting started so I can run it on tuning!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Do you have the stat sync turned on while cranking?
Please make your profile to show what modifications/parts you have and upload the cal file and a log file including the stat sync.
Also let us know, to which pin you wired the MAP sensor, IAT sensor and the O2 sensor.

Thanks for the reply. I have taken some pictures and videos to show what has been done. And a log that I'm trying to start.
What has been done with the car is FMIC, 850cc FIC and AEM EMS. The car goes before I mounted the AEM EMS.
Yes stat sync turns on when I try to start. Failed to upload video.
But Map and IAT sensor I have not connected to ECU, because I bought ECM link speed density cable. It is connected to the MAF connector, so the MAP and IAT are connected to it. Don't know if it works?

Attachments

• 2021-04-13 1022 PC Log.daq
    36.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 2021-04-13 1023 PC Log.daq
    44.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I have taken some pictures and videos to show what has been done. And a log that I'm trying to start.
What has been done with the car is FMIC, 850cc FIC and AEM EMS. The car goes before I mounted the AEM EMS.
Yes stat sync turns on when I try to start. Failed to upload video.
But Map and IAT sensor I have not connected to ECU, because I bought ECM link speed density cable. It is connected to the MAF connector, so the MAP and IAT are connected to it. Don't know if it works?

Please upload a cal file (calibration file), too. If you are not sure how to do that, start up the AEMTuner, go to "File" and select "Save Calibration As..." and the save it somewhere. Then upload the saved file in here.

Unable to upload the calibration file to the forum. How do I get it sent?

Last edited:
I seem to be able to. Click "Attach files" and when the window opens, select the file type as "All". Then probably you would be able to select a .cal file.
I saved it in Notepad, so you'll probably need to open it in AEM Tuner. Failed to send calibration file ...

Attachments

• calibration file.txt
    32.3 KB · Views: 49
Here you have. Hope you find out something!
Is the EMS unit used? Upload the attached cal file to your EMS and see if the engine would start.
The file is just the startup cal file that being set with your sensors and injectors you have. So even if the engine starts, you will need to tune for driving the car.

Attachments

• DSMTuners Startup.02v02.cal.zip
    3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Is the EMS unit used? Upload the attached cal file to your EMS and see if the engine would start.
The file is just the startup cal file that being set with your sensors and injectors you have. So even if the engine starts, you will need to tune for driving the car.
Yes I use EMS, tried the calibration you sent me now. can not start ...

But I read something on the instruction book: If the Engine Load changes when the throttle is pressed this usually indicates that
there is a problem with the MAP sensor wiring or software calibration (when the
EMS detects that the MAP Volts are above or below the min / max limits it will run in
a failsafe mode using the TPS-to-Load table to generate an artificial Engine Load
signal using the Throttle input). This may allow the engine to sputter or start but not
continue running properly.

I do not know if it has anything to do with it, but since it goes in failsafe mode so maybe that's why?

Yes I use EMS, tried the calibration you sent me now. can not start ...
But I read something on the instruction book: If the Engine Load changes when the throttle is pressed this usually indicates that
there is a problem with the MAP sensor wiring or software calibration (when the
EMS detects that the MAP Volts are above or below the min / max limits it will run in
a failsafe mode using the TPS-to-Load table to generate an artificial Engine Load
signal using the Throttle input). This may allow the engine to sputter or start but not
continue running properly.
What I meant was if you bought a new unit or used unit. And as I asked you already earlier, does the stat sync get turned on while cranking with the cal file I uploaded?
Please update your profile or tell us what modifications/parts you have.

I do not know if it has anything to do with it, but since it goes in failsafe mode so maybe that's why?
Failsafe has nothing to do for now if the engine doesn't start with the file I uploaded.

What I meant was if you bought a new unit or used unit. And as I asked you already earlier, does the stat sync get turned on while cranking with the cal file I uploaded?
Please update your profile or tell us what modifications/parts you have.

Failsafe has nothing to do for now if the engine doesn't start with the file I uploaded.
okay, yes the EMS device is brand new. and the car is virtually original. It's FMIC, and bigger exhaust. And the rest I have done are sensors, which I have sent pictures of further up.

Then I tried to put on the original ECU and then it starts.

With AEM EMS: I have checked if there is spark in the plugs, there is spark!
I think it does not get petrol, the plugs are completely dry.

Gasoline comes to the fuel rail. Then I measured current in the socket of the injectors, and in the socket it showed 13 V with the ignition on. And the same when i try to start.

Last edited:
With AEM EMS: I have checked if there is spark in the plugs, there is spark!
Yes because the stat sync is on.

Can you try this cal file (Startup-3)?

Attachments

• DSMTuners Startup-3.02v02.cal.zip
    3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Yes because the stat sync is on.

Can you try this cal file (Startup-3)?
Then I tried the calibration file, it shoots out of the exhaust now. And it smells like gasoline so I think it gets it.
But i got fail on timing 2.
But do I have to do something with plug wire, change order or something?

Then I tried the calibration file, it shoots out of the exhaust now. And it smells like gasoline so I think it gets it.
But i got fail on timing 2.
But do I have to do something with plug wire, change order or something?
Change the spark plug wire ordering between 4123 and 3214. And see if the engine starts.

Last edited:
Change the spark plug wire ordering between 4123 and 3214. And see if the engine starts.
Now it goes! Goes with the last calibration you sent me! Switched on plug wiring as you said.
Does not go completely idle yet but, I think it is because it leaks a lot on the seals on the injectors. So I will put on the 850cc injectors now: D
So I only have one more problem that I saw when it started, it is that AFR gauge shows 00. But when it dies out at idle it shows some numbers.

I thank you very much for all the help, have not made it without!

Now it goes! Goes with the last calibration you sent me! Switched on plug wiring as you said.
I thank you very much for all the help, have not made it without!
Glad to know that the engine started.

Does not go completely idle yet but, I think it is because it leaks a lot on the seals on the injectors. So I will put on the 850cc injectors now: D
As I mentioned above that this file is just to start the engine. So you definitely need to tune to make it stable and drivable. First, set the base ignition timing, then ask some shop to tune.

So I only have one more problem that I saw when it started, it is that AFR gauge shows 00. But when it dies out at idle it shows some numbers.
It would be better with the 850cc injectors and proper base ignition timing. I set it for the 850cc as you mentioned the car has those injectors. But once again, you definitely need to tune, including idle control. The file is only to start the engine.

Glad to know that the engine started.

As I mentioned above that this file is just to start the engine. So you definitely need to tune to make it stable and drivable. First, set the base ignition timing, then ask some shop to tune.

It would be better with the 850cc injectors and proper base ignition timing. I set it for the 850cc as you mentioned the car has those injectors. But once again, you definitely need to tune, including idle control. The file is only to start the engine.
Okay, yes I'm going to fix some small things now before I go to a tuner.
I'm very happy that the car is starting now.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back