The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Advise on turbocharger?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Th3DooM

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2011
Dresden, Europe
So I started to make a list for my turbo setup and now I'm looking for a nice decent turbocharger, but I've no idea where to start. What turbo would you recommend?

basic information:
~200-220hp
T3/T4 flange
internal wastegate wouldn't be bad, but not necessary

I found this Garrett turbo for cheap on the internet, but have no idea which one it is. The badge says:

Model TBO350
P/N 466800-0005
S/N HI18198W

Here is a pic:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I found out that it's a Volvo turbo, but that's it. Would love to hear that this propably is the right turbo for my kind of setup.

thanks!

Last edited:
What kind of build are you planning? If you're doing a basic 8lb build I would recommend something small, either a straight T3 or a small T04E. Do you know any specs of the turbo, or just what is on the tag?

*edit: it is a straight T3 garrett off of a Volvo Penta, with a .48 A/R. It would be great for a basic build, and will have a fast spool time.

Unfortunately Garrett part numbers do us no good- we need wheel specs to confirm it's size. By the tag I could guess that it's a TB03 (Standard T3) center housing with a small T3 50-trim compressor- but again we need wheel specs.

Yeah, first I want low boost like 5-8lb. Internals are stock. So you think I should use the chance and grab that turbo?

Depending on the price and condition, do you have any other pictures of it?

Yeah, here they are:

The guy tried to turbo a Volkswagen with it but never finished the project. No play at all. His words. I wait for an answer with more details.

I would personally switch to an external wastegate, I'm not sure any 420a manifolds come without a spot for an external wastegate anyways.

I try to lower the price to 50€ (~70$).
Is sealing the wg spot with a piece of metal a bad idea?

So what's a good turbo without an internal wastegate for my plans? I made an awesome price on the turbo manifold, so I could possibly spend more money on a turbo. But I still don't wanna pay more than
400$ on that piece. The less the better. And I don't want to use a adapter plate.

sry for so many annoying questions :(

Sealing it off isn't bad, as long as you don't have a leak coming from the area you block off. If you end up running this turbo, make sure your wastegate is set to 7 psi or less.

I would find yourself all the stock turbo setup from any turbo 4g63 since you are in Europe you should have a n/t 4g63 under your hood instead of the 420a unless I missed something.

I would find yourself all the stock turbo setup from any turbo 4g63 since you are in Europe you should have a n/t 4g63 under your hood instead of the 420a unless I missed something.

Nice catch man I would hope he knows but here is the test timing belt passenger side - 420A driver side - 4g63. Crankwalk - 4g63, no crank walk 420A. Don't know which is the easier test. :D

running at 8 psi isn;t going to do you much good with that kind of turbo not too mention all the hardware you'll have to change to put it on... id just grab a 14b or 16g and run it at 5-7psi... you'll need the water lines, oil lines, etc... probably gonna be tricky on that ECU if there is any difference between ECU's if there isnt you can grab a turbo ECU?

hopefully someone else will chime in... im just not real sure on the specs of a euro 4g63 n/t

Any car can crank walk, even a 420a, and crankwalk is not common on a 4g63 anyway. That misinformation should be disregarded by the OP.

Why is everyone in such a bad mood latley? You can't even say one little joke without a bunch of A-holes jumping down your throat. This isn't the place or time to argue crankwalk, however, if you want to know why I believe 4g63 7-bolt's are more susceptible to it than other cars you can read this...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/15307-crankwalk-poll-merged.html

If you don't read it I really don't care cause it was a joke... for the love of god find a freaking sense of humor.

To the OP - The really knowledgeable people hang out in their corresponding forum areas so if it is a 4g63 and you want to turbo post there however even though you live across the pond you could have a 420A (see my post above to tell the difference with timing belt location and disregard "crankwalking" part if its too offensive for you.)
:banghead:

Btw I'm one of a few 420A-owners in Europe, so getting parts isn't as easy as it might be. I drive my car for nearly 2 years now, and believe me, I'm the one on german dsm forums with the most knowledge of 420As, haha :)

I didn't buy the turbocharger I described in the first post but a nearly similar one in good shape. Now I gonna measure the diameters of turbine and compressor wheel to give you more information on the turbo. I can sell it for more than I spend if it isn't the right turbo for my plans :)

Sry for prob bad english :/

Btw I'm one of a few 420A-owners in Europe, so getting parts isn't as easy as it might be. I drive my car for nearly 2 years now, and believe me, I'm the one on german dsm forums with the most knowledge of 420As, haha :)

I didn't buy the turbocharger I described in the first post but a nearly similar one in good shape. Now I gonna measure the diameters of turbine and compressor wheel to give you more information on the turbo. I can sell it for more than I spend if it isn't the right turbo for my plans :)

Sry for prob bad english :/

What are your plans? Drag, autocross or fun weekend car? Do you want a turbo to just get you by or that will work when/if you build the bottom end?

I just want a little extra power for daily driving. There are also a few events with drag strips in summer, nothing serious, just fun.
First I gonna try it with a bone stock bottom end. We'll see how good this works. 5-8psi is the goal, where 8 psi is the absolute max.

a bone stock bottom end.

I love that English is not your first language, and you know our slang! haha!

Any of the straight t3 turbos are probably going to work pretty well for you. Try and stay above a .48 a/r on the exhuast side. The small ones can be restrictive and kill your top end. Since your a 420a and I assume your going to run a FMU, you'll need to stay below 8 psi, or you'll go lean, detonate, and break a piston. I would defiantly ditch ANY internal wastegate for a quality external gate. You'll need to have rock solid boost control for the safety of your engine.

So seeing that 8psi is your max boost lets see how much airflow you'll need.

So (displacement / 1728)*(max rpm/2) = cfmunboosted

(122cu in / 1728)*(7000/2) = 247cfm

cfmunboosted * PR = cfmboosted

(246 * 1.54) = 380

CFM *.07 ~ lbs/min

380 * .07 = 26.6

lb/min * 10 ~ hp

26.6 * 10 = 266hp

In conclusion, you need a turbo that has the point (1.55 PR, 26.2lb/min) fall just to the right of the efficiency island. That will put you in the efficiency island for a good chunk of your RPM range. Assuming you get this thing together, and in a half decent state of tune, it could be capable of making 266hp.

Have fun.

Thanks for the maths, bastarddsm.

Okay, today I got my turbo (finally) :)

Here are some specs:

Compressor Inlet: ~52mm inside, ~60mm outside
Compressor Outlet: ~34mm inside, ~51mm outside

Compressorwheel: Inducer 42mm, Exducer 60mm
Turbinewheel(-outlet): Exducer(?) ~49mm
Flange: T3

Last edited:
Okay, I disassembled the turbine housing. The piece is junk, two fat cracks at the wastegate hole.

Some infos to the to the turbine wheel:

inducer: 58mm
exducer: 48mm

Can somebody tell me how "good" this turbo for a 420a is?

Sry for double posting.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back