The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrymerr

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 22, 2002
Vacaville, California
I would like some advice from you guys as far as what turbo to get for my car.
I want to make 350-375hp as cheap as possible. Two choices I have are getting an B16G or a Big T28. I do not know anything about the T-28, other than it is a direct bolt on. The B16G would be nice, but I am not particularly looking forward to getting the pieces needed to install it in my 2g.

I have already checked out the tuning guide, and have basic mods. Just need some suggestions on turbo.

Thanks

Just get a 20G. More flexability in horsepower potential. If you live in Cali, its going to be hard in making that amount of HP numbers with out using race gas on a 16G. No to mention, our gas is crappy. If you are not comfortable in using a J pipe, try to find a vendor that could perhaps rotate the housing and weld a 90 degree elbow on the compressor.

I appreciate the reply. Like I said, its all about money here. I would love 20g but i think it would cost more than I can afford. As far as the T28, im kinda steering away from it because of cost. I do not want to pay the $270 or so for an install kit, but do not wanna go "ghetto style" either.

What about an 18G?

Thanks again,

Hmmm. Well, to be honest, if you go 18, why not just go 20? You can find some steals on the internet these days. If money is an issue, just buckle down and save for it. It will be worth the wait.

You are right. :) Just found 20G for $799. Rated to 440hp. Then all I need is a LIP for $115, and i dunno if I need new oil lines or other stuff, but thats not too bad.

Where in CA you from?

thanks,

If you are getting a 20G you will need some install peices or get the housing rotated like he suggessted above.

I hope you have a few more mods than what's listed in your profile if you're going with a 20g. You don't have an AFC, injectors, downpipe, or even a fuel pump:rolleyes: A FMIC would also be good but not necessary at first but most of all you'll need a way to tune it...logger:D

WHY pay 115 bucks for a lower intercooler pipe? I had an elbow welded onto my turbo so it pointed towards the stock intercooler location, then bought a 12" piece of 2" exhaust pipe for like 7 dollars, and VOILA..lower IC pipe problem solved. Of course I guess it matters how your intercooler is routed and such, mine just happened to go through the stock locations.

I have the fp ported big t28 and its fast, its awsome, its fun, however, top end is almost non-existent! I still beat all the v8s, but a big16 has alot more top end! But the big t28 is the most fun u can have! 18psi a little over 3k rpm and stront pull to about 5600, then it lets off... do it right, get the big 16g, or if it was me, i am getting the eta32 :)

If you can't afford a 20G then I think 350-375hp is out of yoru budget. You'll have to spend an a lot more money then the turbo will cost to get that type of power.

For cost effectiveness I would go with a 20G as it bolts on and you can port your manifold yourself and make up your own intercooler pipes to again save some money.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back