The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Advice on building an early 7 bolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Nicholson

Proven Member
Jun 23, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
My Bottom end is starting to go.. And I’m looking to do a whole fresh rebuild but the block I’m looking at is an earlier 7 bolt (like I have in my car now.) Would it be wise to put money into an earlier block or find a revised one? I’m planning on a higher HP build and have read that you can delete the squirters that feed off the mains helping reduce the chance of CW. I also have an auto trans so not nearly as much stress on the thrust washers like a manual trans. Any input is appreciated!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You don't need to worry about CW at all. The auto trans cranks have never seen a load like the stick cars do on the thrust surface. I built a 95 7 bolt for my son. Bottom end is easy. Take it apart, check what you still have for clearance/tolerance and just freshen her up. You can upgrade the rods and pistons at about $1000 for those or maybe find a used set on the the classifieds.
If you have more specific questions then just ask. :)
I keep the oil squirters on my engines, others have their reasons but I like cooling the bottom of the pistons on a hot turbo motor.
Marty

You don't need to worry about CW at all. The auto trans cranks have never seen a load like the stick cars do on the thrust surface. I built a 95 7 bolt for my son. Bottom end is easy. Take it apart, check what you still have for clearance/tolerance and just freshen her up. You can upgrade the rods and pistons at about $1000 for those or maybe find a used set on the the classifieds.
If you have more specific questions then just ask. :)
I keep the oil squirters on my engines, others have their reasons but I like cooling the bottom of the pistons on a hot turbo motor.
Marty
Thank you as always Marty!

I remove the squirters and block there supply off the mains. I like the extra oil at the bearings. Comes down to use of car and person preference.
I’d like to have a higher revving street/strip motor so more oil volume to critical components would be nice, I’m also going to do a BS delete and have looked into porting the relief on the OFH so oil pressure isn’t through the roof LOL

Not sure if your looking at another block because you want to drive the car while you build a motor or if your thinking the block is toast but that sound could be piston slap, wallord wrist pin hole , or a rod knock from what I'm hearing. It doesn't sound like anything that would make your block not able to be rebuilt tho so unless your going to drive it while doing the build I would recommend just building the block you have

Not sure if your looking at another block because you want to drive the car while you build a motor or if your thinking the block is toast but that sound could be piston slap, wallord wrist pin hole , or a rod knock from what I'm hearing. It doesn't sound like anything that would make your block not able to be rebuilt tho so unless your going to drive it while doing the build I would recommend just building the block you have
No, I do not plan on driving this car at this time.. I’m looking for a new core to start on so that the car isn’t in a million pieces in my front yard and can be moved if needed. I will rebuild the one that’s currently in the car at some point but would like to just have a motor ready to drop in when the time comes to change it out. I already know this motor is only going to get worse

No, I do not plan on driving this car at this time.. I’m looking for a new core to start on so that the car isn’t in a million pieces in my front yard and can be moved if needed. I will rebuild the one that’s currently in the car at some point but would like to just have a motor ready to drop in when the time comes to change it out. I already know this motor is only going to get worse

Ah I understand. You probably live in a neighborhood/town don't you?.... my town is constantly hastling me about cars and stuff. They complain about junk cars and I'm just like all I see is DSM gold but ok....

Ah I understand. You probably live in a neighborhood/town don't you?.... my town is constantly hastling me about cars and stuff. They complain about junk cars and I'm just like all I see is DSM gold but ok....
Yep.. complaints fairly often LOL, just don’t understand that DSM life LOL. Also where I’m at dsms are fairly uncommon let alone parts/ shells so just slowly building up a motor in my garage would be nice in my case. Then I’ll have a core just incase ;) . I’m just worried if I spend dough on an early 95 block it’ll let out somewhere. It seems though that it should be okay if I take proper precautions and make sure everything is CLEAN

2G's one of pros is, it's easier to find a block since you can mount all early 4g63 block on 2g. So you would have more choices than for 1G. I have a 1g non turbo 7 bolt block on my 2g auto which is with flanged main bearing, just like 95-96 block. I've never been worried about the CW.

Boy am I glad that I live in THE COUNTRY...…..ROFL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back