The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

advice from seasoned DSMers

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enriquez2000

Proven Member
Oct 5, 2014
fort collins, Colorado
May have seen some of my posts. I am new to dsm but not new to turbos, having a high horsepower honda in my garage now. My goal for my 93 talon auto awd is a bit different than the 10second honda. I would like a reliable daily with a bit more giddy in her up.

The parts that I have put in to the car so far are simple:

14b turbo
end clutch kit
new valve body
chipped TCU with full line pressure in power mode
(these were all done because my transmission was acting stupid and ended up the tcu)
Prosport electric boost gauge
2g exhaust manifold(because the previous owner broke studs off so had to remove anyway so why not)

Parts that I have started to accumulate:

ecmlink
550cc injectors
bigger O2 housing
manual boost control

Parts that I need to get still:

downpipe back exhaust
bigger fuel pump(thinking a 255lph walboro)
wideband 02
debating on 2g MAF as well still
and of course down the road FMIC

I want this to be a basic fun daily driver. At some point I will pick up a 16g as well but not in a hurry.

With this setup do I need to get a different fuel regulator or will it work with stock one by adjust duties on the pump and injectors?

Also(and I know i need one eventually) does the ecmlink read air/fuel like my hondata? Is it possible to tune without a wideband gauge on these?

Can i swap in the 550cc injectors and control it properly with dsmlink or do I need to get the fuel pump in there first? Im not sure what these things can handle.

If you go with a Walboro 255lph you will need to get a regulator to control the additional fuel. If you stick with the stock pump and want to run some 550cc injectors that is fine for now. I would recommend to rewire the fuel pump to ensure it gets proper voltage at higher RPM's which is a common problem with these cars. With ECMLink is will not read your exact A/F ratio, you will definitely want a wideband and they are good to have anyways to monitor the car at all times instead of having to lug a laptop around all the time.

If you go with a Walboro 255lph you will need to get a regulator to control the additional fuel. If you stick with the stock pump and want to run some 550cc injectors that is fine for now. I would recommend to rewire the fuel pump to ensure it gets proper voltage at higher RPM's which is a common problem with these cars. With ECMLink is will not read your exact A/F ratio, you will definitely want a wideband and they are good to have anyways to monitor the car at all times instead of having to lug a laptop around all the time.

so would i be better with a 190lph for my given wants for this car? It would save me the extra AFPR cost and Id rather use that money on a wideband. Dont get me worng, i wont skimp. Ive seen plenty of ebay hondas blow up.... This definitely is never going to be a "racecar", I have one of those already. Just reliable but fun.

Many have run a 255 with the stock FPR without issue. As long as your FPR is in good shape it should be fine.

the evo 9 fuel pump is somewhere in between the 190 and 255, i would go that route because you can probably get it for cheaper or around the same price too. definitely rewire it. you seem to be on the right track concerning everything else, don't forget to do your maintenance before proceeding to modding

seeing as you're in colorado, make sure to go over your suspension and see what all is rusted and needs replacing, suspension mods have been my favorite upgrade thus far in my build. nothing like taking 110 degree turns at 40mph

I would just get the 255HP. The 190 is just bareley bigger than stock. Order I would do things:
1. 255
2. 2gmaf
3. 550's
4. cat back
5. fmic
6. wideband.
Whatever yo do i wouldnt suggest this at all that is a bad idea

If your gonna follow his guidlines that is fine but do it in a different order
Wideband
550s
2g maf
Fmic
Catback

Always do the monitoring first never mod then get your logging tools that is plain stupid enless you like rebuilding engines

Now if you do the mods listed be sure link is installed first the 3 things every dsmr should buy 1st is dsmlink boost gauge and wideband then go crazy

Wideband so you don't blow up 255 550 2g fmic catback sounds good jesse, and a tuning device link hands down for me the easier and is a investment, more important than a fmic or a catback.

Ill hold off on installing parts until wideband is here other than link... i want that in ASAP LOL. Ill get my wideband and exhaust and a 255 and put em all in at once with the injectors. I feel like 255 is overkill but better safe than sorry i suppose.

Lol, people went for years and years with an AFC and a the stock narrowband. I run 10's on a stock engine with no wideband. There's really no need for it in this guys case. None at all. The conversion to a 2g maf is well doccumented, put those numbers in, adjust your global/deadtime and see how it runs, you might have to adjust things a bit based on your trims, but it's doubtfull. You can lean it out by about a point from stock at higher loads, and it will make a bit more power, but don't go crazy with it.

255 now get it now a afpr anad you wont look back or If your going e 85 down the road get a wally 450 and call it done, I learned the hard way after looking back but now Im on track.

I really only want some fun daily driving. So the safest and reliable way is what i want. Im not looking for 400plus hp at all. 2g maf i still dont know what to do for that. I know its an easy swap but not sure what it entails for tuning either yet[DOUBLEPOST=1417027861][/DOUBLEPOST]
255 now get it now a afpr anad you wont look back or If your going e 85 down the road get a wally 450 and call it done, I learned the hard way after looking back but now Im on track.
No e85 for me on the daily. My honda is on e85 with a 450 wally. Hard as heck to start on cold colorado mornings.

You have ECMlink, all you do is wire in the maf, and put in the comensation shown on the wiki. It's not hard at all. If it isn't hacked you don't need to tune it. The factory did that for you.
Sounds really easy.. guess im sold on 2g maf LOL.. so all i need is maf, pipe and filter, wire in and enter whatever is on the wiki? Sounds tooooo easy LOL

So if not hacked its plug n play?

Last edited:
Pretty much. I went the evo 560 route with the 2g MAF rather than the RC 550 route and the 560's have the exact same deadtime (0) as the stock 450's and it screamed with a e316g. My son ran the 550/2gmaf combo with no issues for over a year

Pretty much. I went the evo 560 route with the 2g MAF rather than the RC 550 route and the 560's have the exact same deadtime (0) as the stock 450's and it screamed with a e316g. My son ran the 550/2gmaf combo with no issues for over a year
So with rc550 and 2g maf and lets say 255lph punp.. what boost would be ran safely?

With a good tune you can easliy run 17-18psi all day! Anything higher and you may start to knock alittle on 92-93 pump. But every car is alittle different, and proper upkeep (Pm's) is a must! Just watch the idc% and you can see how much you have to work with.

I made sure I did all maintenance and I have fixed all issues with this car, even the stupid ones. Everything should be good to go if I get the parts in in the right order. Its easier for me to add a couple parts here and there than take the whole thing out of commission for a week and build. SO if I can add a 2g maf and rc550 injectors with my ecm link to start and turn boost up to say 16 and then add others as a I go, that would be ideal.

run 20 psi when you get the injectors I promise you will not have an issue. Knowledge and experience for years is excellance[DOUBLEPOST=1417057365][/DOUBLEPOST]I would never steer anyone in the wrong direction in just saying from experience

I ran 23lbs on my e316g. Pretty sure that about maxed out my injectors, but the WB never read over 10.5:1, so there could have been some room to grow

I decided to put in a rewired evo 8 pump. that should give me enough fuel for my daily driver needs. With the evo 8 pump, 550 injectors, 14b and 2g maf I am pretty confident in 20psi being a good place to daily drive it at, but we will see what the afrs and knock looks like

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back