The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

advancing timing on a 1996???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92tsifwd

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 1, 2004
Hastings, Nebraska
how do i do it?

how much do i do it?

the car is a 96 with an exhaust 16g fuel pump blah blah....

12-15psi is what i will run on 91 octane, i might even run less.

if you want to see the full mod list it is the tsi awd in spln_hrd(that the account name it is under

Why do you want to advance timing?

With your mods I don't really see the need to advance timing.

Get a DSMLink, then you will be able to do anything you want with the timing.

The car boggs down and is very rich after fuel pump install and was just curious how to check it first and then advance it if it needed it but, I do not know how to check it on a 96.

Check your base timing with a Timing Light.

Get a Chilton or Haynes Repair manual and it should be able to walk you through it.

One way to be able to change base timing with a 2G is a Cam Angle Sensor (also known as CAS)

www.roadraceengineering.com has a tech article on how to put a CAS on a 95/96 DSM, From what I understand 97-99 DSM's have one but its not adjustable.

Good luck with your issue.

Gsxtacy

the reason i want to adjust my timing is because the car pulls hard (hard as it should) until about 3,500 rpm and then afterwards it hits like a dead spot and wont pull hard for a long while(not many rpms pass cuz it has no balls) then it will back fire and pull hard as hell. and when it back fires it will puff out a ENORMOUS(HUGE!!) cloud of of black smoke. and i think it is because my timing is retarded, i am running 13 psi and a while i ago i had some boost creap problems and i hit fuel cut like 5 times.

I highly doubt it is a timing problem, sounds more like a tuning issue.

If it is a timing problem, it might be becaue of knock or such.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back