The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

adjusting timing with CAS

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

futurevokiller

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 26, 2008
Selah, Washington
hey i couldnt really find anything on this so i thought id ask..
i recently had some boost leaks fixed up and got a new 2g maf since mine was bad, and also some 550's to compensate for the 2g maf, but i think timing is off. my friend helped me replace my water pump a while ago and adjusted the CAS to change the timing cause it sounded off, but now i know it was the bad maf that was causing the bad idle and running. the timing belt was checked and is correct, the marks line up. i have a timing light, i was just wondering where the marks on the cams should be when im timing it? should they line up in the middle? thanks in advance!

hey i couldnt really find anything on this so i thought id ask..
i recently had some boost leaks fixed up and got a new 2g maf since mine was bad, and also some 550's to compensate for the 2g maf, but i think timing is off. my friend helped me replace my water pump a while ago and adjusted the CAS to change the timing cause it sounded off, but now i know it was the bad maf that was causing the bad idle and running. the timing belt was checked and is correct, the marks line up. i have a timing light, i was just wondering where the marks on the cams should be when im timing it? should they line up in the middle? thanks in advance!

Yeah, you want them to line up in the middle.. Put the two dial pin facing up on the cams, and put some white out on the two marks on the gears, facing each other.. Then put your timing light on 10* advance.. Then start the car and adjust the cas untill the two marks line up..

what the hell are you all talking about? As long as your mechanical timing is set right you don't pay attention to the lines on the cams at all. If this is some new method of setting ignition timing via the cam alignment marks...then wow...never been informed about that. What happened to setting ign timing via the crank pulley?

to set ignition timing you need to make sure the car is idling around 750 RPMS, ground out the timing adjustment pin, losen bolts on the CAS, put your timing light clip on cyl 1, then shine your timing light on the crank pully and set the crank pulley "white dot" at 5 degrees +-2 by adjusting the CAS. When it's set, tighten down the CAS.

Here is the procedure.
Engine Timing

i dont think the timing light i have is adjustable

If your timing light is non adjustable, you need to set ign timing off the crank pulley and timing marks on the timing belt cover

I can see where he's coming from: If the CAS was at TDC, the cam marks would face each other dead on and in line with the top of the block. But if the timing was at our 5*BTDC requirements, the intake mark would be higher - 5* above the horizontal plane across the block.

Prob what can be done with the 420A motor since it does have that inspection cover on the timing cover - that was a Dodge thing with some timing covers to have a TDC inspection access to make it easier to check.

But true, the info above in that link is how we time our mitsu motors.. both the 4G63 and the smaller 4G37 (1.8L) has the same timing requirements, just that the 4G37 has a distributor to roll instead of a CAS.

You can do the timming from the crank pulley and the cams!! I have done it both ways, and the outcome is the same. To do so you have to have a adjustable timming light, if not the crank pulley is where you need to time it..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back