1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

added a lsd, which gear oil to use

Posted by theamsoilguy, Feb 26, 2020

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. theamsoilguy

theamsoilguy Proven Member

Joined Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    I know something about lubricants :) however I am a bit stumped on this one. I reached out to AMSOIL tech and to Quaife tech and to the vendor who sole me the LSD.

car is a 1g AWD

We all know that we use a gl-4 75-90 gear oil, at least that's the factory spec.
    You can buy some gl-5 oils that say compatible with a limited slip.
    So I am at a loss on what to use, we race the thing, no street use with it.
    When we rebuilt the trans we added the Quaife lsd. After one hour on the track we had the transmission stop shifting, after it cooled down it shifted again. This could be something else, or related to the wrong lubricant ( and heat build up ). It was just removed from the car and we will inspect it soon.

I will report back when I hear from tech support and the tear down, but does anyone have experience with this?
    Thanks

557  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  2. Canadian_CD9A

Canadian_CD9A Proven Member

Joined Feb 10, 2012
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Torsen LSDs do not require any specialized lubricant - there are no friction parts. Go with the usual recommendations from transmission builders.

Black95TSIawd likes this.