The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

*** ACTIVE / OPEN *** 2G Tubular front subframe

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We ready for that preorder group buy now? That thing is looking good. So much cleaner.
I have most of the prices in now and awaiting 1 more but he is in isolation currently so that might be a delay. I can guesstimate it for now so hopefully by next week i would have some kind of price idea for all

I like what you have created. I’m in line for ordering one! That shipping cost to the USA though
In the end it’ll be worth every penny. Awesome design!!!

I like what you have created. I’m in line for ordering one! That shipping cost to the USA though
In the end it’ll be worth every penny. Awesome design!!!
Shipping will be a bugger but i think its managable. Its going to be seperate as each location will be slightly different the way i have to ship these out due to its size

Hey thread. Update time on this as i have now got the car in work for me to work on and i have finished the design and mocking up the 4 point brace and cross member.

(Note the 4 point brace is just mocked so excuse the holes and gaps also cross member brace will be added for support on the actual finished item) I ran out of proper sized bosses so i used smaller ones for mock up but the shape and design will be the same.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So this brace is set to clear very close to 6" down from the oem subframe as when i asked for details from people on average the 3" systems came in at close to 5.5" down! And this was mainly on the GSX so i had to account for that. This will give you 1/2" or close to it clearance.

I may consider doing 2 versions, AWD and FWD as the fwd can be about half the gap as those tend to run higher to the chassis (likely due to no transfer case and prop shaft down the middle) i will think more on this bit shortly.

The cross member is this design and i looked into a few but liked this one the best. Its reinforced in the front unlike any other going. The center front boss is threaded so you can screw in a jack pad if needed or add a tow strap/hook here. Will possibly add a gusset in the middle roll center location for support,
Next is to jig up from this to replicate them as its now fully welded up.

These pictures are of my 4 point brace and i can go like this because i made my exhaust very high up. So mine is straight. This one is now fully welded along with the cross member and i can send this to powder coating in the new year.

Thank you for all of the fabrication factoring going into these new products. Great care and detail from you, as usual.

We are interested in your driving comparisons between the stock subframe, the 2-point subframe, and the 4-point subframe. It may be difficult to quantify the differences, unless you were to compare them on an autocross course, etc., but we look forward to hearing your impressions about road feel and chassis response.

Maybe you could measure torsional stiffness by jacking the car from one side, and measuring cowl flex. Thinking about our Spyder, this is the challenge we have. If you hit a hard bump, you can actually see the windshield frame shudder, until the car settles down again.

Thank you for all of the fabrication factoring going into these new products. Great care and detail from you, as usual.

We are interested in your driving comparisons between the stock subframe, the 2-point subframe, and the 4-point subframe. It may be difficult to quantify the differences, unless you were to compare them on an autocross course, etc., but we look forward to hearing your impressions about road feel and chassis response.

Maybe you could measure torsional stiffness by jacking the car from one side, and measuring cowl flex. Thinking about our Spyder, this is the challenge we have. If you hit a hard bump, you can actually see the windshield frame shudder, until the car settles down again.
The new frame is already alof more rigid then the oem one is.
This 4 point brace is mearly for the road racers and it will add an additional cross support for the lower arms from opposing sides. I would like to say without it the mounting does not move but metal always moves no matter what!

Its triangulated as much as possible but something might still flex even if its 1mm. This brace will just stiffen up those loads going across to the other arm and reduce anything further happening.

As for flex...... Well i will say this. When i placed the oem one on the floor i stood on it and i would use my body weight to make it move! Im not exactly heavy. 80kg ish

When i tried this with my frame on the floor i was not able to get any response from it like i did with the oem frame. So it certainly is more rigid then before. But how much more rigid i dont know as i cannot simulate it so perhaps in the future i can draw it in cad and do a test

Any price or timeline update? Hope everyone had a good holiday.
I have everything and have gone through a bit of it but with working on the car and christmas i got a little side tracked but im going to get back on it all very soon

NOTE to thread, prices will be up by the end of this weekend!

YEEEEAAAAAA

Is there going to be a bushing option? For us that we daily drive our cars to have a smoother ride
Didnt see you edit this reply LOL.

You will have 2 options for the roll stop and 3 for the mount of the frame to the chassis. Its all detailed previously for those options.

hey everyone watching. if you go to the first page the pricing is near the bottom and i have tried my best to describe the details etc. if you have any questions or i lost you then please reply so i can clear it up or alter my wording

Thanks all

Hey Bobby. Just clarifying, so to my understanding these will be made to order correct? No deadline just something thats available if someone wants it.

Hey Bobby. Just clarifying, so to my understanding these will be made to order correct? No deadline just something thats available if someone wants it.
Thats correct. What i will likely do is have a list and work my way through it. So deposits mean added on a list till its next in line then full payment before proceeding and work my way through that list.
So no deadlines for the frames closing but will be for next on the list to be made.

It means i can keep upto date with colors in stock and also current exchange rates and shipping rates etc. And thats why its going to be in UK pounds since its a long term item im going to be offering up.

What’s the deposits amount? I didn’t see that in the first post, and/or when we should start sending the payment.

Maybe it’s on the list to do and I’m all ready ahead of that:beatentodeath:
I have not decided on a deposit amount as of yet to secure the placement. will likely be a few hundread so the person wanting it is serious on the final order. working this one out is the hardest thing i have done and will do thus far so knowing whats right or best is tricky. a non refundable deposit i have been told to do before but not sure thats doable. if i made the frame and then they pull out then sure but I have time to work the how's and to's out.

when wont be yet either. I still have to build this 2nd one for testing and only once thats done i can open the list up for orders, until then nothing will happen with money or orders till its all 100% tested and im OK with it all.

Last edited:
So the race version is 2905 shipped? In order to use your crossmember, we have to have the race version because of the 4 point brace?

For people that are ready to purchase, are we still at least a few months out till a final revision is ready?

You are making custom compression arms as well?

With the multiple control arm mounting points you offer in the frame itself, how do the different slots affect the geometry of the car?

I'm sure this has all ben covered but I'm just wanting to clarify LOL. Keep up the hard work.

Last edited:
So the race version is 2905 shipped? In order to use your crossmember, we have to have the race version because of the 4 point brace? Thats correct. I cannot compete with the costs of others on the market as a single crossmember item due to shipping costs alone so i likely wont make a normal one. With my version i can fit it in the box nicely with the frame so its more cost effective. Because it is shorter it can only be used with the 4 point brace but that was always my original design idea from straight away.

For people that are ready to purchase, are we still at least a few months out till a final revision is ready? No revisions left. This is now 100% complete. I have mocked up the 4 point brace for GSX guys and the tester will be confirming this fitment when he runs it on his gsx. What you see upto this point is how you will receive it. All you have to do is decide on a color and mounting pad material/rollstop material.

You are making custom compression arms as well? Yes i am. I kind of finished a while ago but the frame was my main concern so i put the arms aside to finish the frame. The comp arms and lower arms are being made.

With the multiple control arm mounting points you offer in the frame itself, how do the different slots affect the geometry of the car? This is for roll center adjustment. Not all will use them but its there for those racers who wish to take advantage of the setup adjustments. Each one is 1/2" spaced and you got 1 lower and 2 higher (from the factory spot which is the 2nd hole up from the bottom! You can speed up turn in or slow it down to make the rear speed up. The compression arm frame mounting will eventually have this same adjustment

I'm sure this has all ben covered but I'm just wanting to clarify LOL. Keep up the hard work. It might have been but its alwaysgood to re ask and re reply to have it logged again. Im always up for answering questions and helping as best as i can

Another newbie question. What what??? What does this mean or relate to?? I dont get this one LOL

Last edited:
Small update.

Those who order a 4 point brace and crossmember (race version) i will also be putting in a front jacking pad also. No extra charge at all.

I decided to make one for my car due to wanting to use a splitter and thought it would be nice to add this into the race kit. Just another little detail on top that i wanted to do and saves people possibky thinking of what to do with the threaded hole in the boss.

Dont mind my pics as im spacing it out to suit my needs but you can keep it flat to the top.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back