The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

ACT 2100 clutch, do you NEED a new flywheel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mokkema

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 1, 2005
Chitown, Illinois
Ok heres my question...I've got my ACT 2100lb clutch that I plan to put in my 99 GST, however, the person doing it for me has been talking with a dsm buddy of his...and hes telling my friend that I should DEFINATLY change the flywheel, because "the iron will get so hot it will warp the flywheel" or something like that...

I was never told I needed to get a better flywheel with this clutch...so someone please tell me they're mistaken. At most I figured I'd resurface it...but a whole new clutch for a 2100? C'mon...thanks guys

Why wouldnt you just change it out?? Everything is going to be taken apart anyways. Better to do it once then realize you should of when you had the chance. Make sure to get a new OEM throw out bearing too. :thumb: :talon:

Check this site out, its where I ordered mine for a decent price.

http://www.extremepsi.com

Bigglesworth87 said:
Why wouldnt you just change it out?? Everything is going to be taken apart anyways. Better to do it once then realize you should of when you had the chance. Make sure to get a new OEM throw out bearing too. :thumb: :talon:

Check this site out, its where I ordered mine for a decent price.

http://www.extremepsi.com

thats really not what I'm asking...I need to do this clutch change TONIGHT and I can't get an aftermarket flywheel TONIGHT...so that puts me in a situation...

no you odnt need the fly wheel i didnt need it in my 1g awd so im shure you dont need it. just use your stock one you should be fine. good luck with the new clutch :thumb:

Unless you like jackin up you heavy a$$ trans I would hold off get a a lightweight flywheel or at a minimum yours resurfaced and then hook it back up. What your friend said isn't true you can use the 2100 with stick flywheel I know guys that resurface and use the 2600 just don't go popin the clutch at like 6500 or 7k rpms. I would change out your flywheel for a light weight model you will thank yourself later. :thumb:

You dont need a new flywheel, but I would strongly recommend replacing it while you are in there. After all, they are only about $200 and it would suck to have to pull your trans off again down the road to replace the flywheel. It would be smart to kill two birds with one stone and do them both all in one shot.

At the least, if you dont replace your stock flywheel, just get your stocker resurfaced.

As paul touched on but I will make a bigger deal of it.

If you re-use the stock flywheel you MUST get it resurfaced

Just a quick comment. I reused my stock flywheel when I had my 2100 put in. And so far so good. Took my clutch a while to break in, so just be paitent. Now it's working really well, and I have had no problems what so ever.

Slippi84 said:
Thanks L2RTSiAWD I think he'll listen better to someone with a rep level like yours then us. RESURFACE OR NEW FLYWHEEL it's not worth it trust us.

hey thanks guys

Don't worry I definatly plan to resurface...I assume any shop can resurface a flywheel...u dont need any special machine correct? if so I'm going to resurface...

Any auto machine shop should be able to resurface and check the step.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back