The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Accidentally put power steering fluid on the clutch master cylinder???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstspyder1998

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 6, 2002
San Diego, California
Will anything get messed up if I accidentally put power steering fluid on the clutch master cylinder? I was filling up my car with brake fluid, power steering, and noticed that the clutch was empty so when I was filling it up I noticed that I was putting the wrong one. If anybody can help me out that would be great.

Siphon out all you can, and then bleed fresh brake fluid through the system a few times. Depending on whether the PS fluid got to the master cylinder, you may get away with it.

It'll bzorp the sealing surfaces in the master cylinder's seals. Since the clutch system isn't so crucial as the brakes, I'd say you're okay in flushing it. If you'd done this to the brake system, I'd recommend replacing the master, and then beat upon you with a sizeable piece of timber while saying quite rude things about your mother.

I'm not sure, but I suspect PS fluid would float on brake fluid, so putting a paper towel on it will wick most of it off the brake fluid. If you make sure the towel hits the PS fluid first, it'll soak up that and probably not the brake fluid. Use several towels, and don't drip on the paint. If you've not cycled the clutch a mess of times, and the resevoir wasn't that low, you should have minimal or no mixing below the resevoir. If this is obviously the case, wick out all the fluid from the resevoir and then take it off the master, and just rinse it with brake fluid. You'll still need to bleed the system, but it's not a terrible job.

Don't feel bad, one of the field hands at Christian Brothers Winery filled the gasoline truck with diesel fuel. The smoke cloud, until it died, was glorious.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back