The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Accidentally bought eagle rods. Forged pistons or no?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88BB8B

Proven Member
Oct 14, 2016
Coldstream, BC_Canada
Hi everybody, sorry if this is in the wring spot. So I while ago I was looking to see if I could find a set of forged pistons and rods for a decent price, and came across a set of eagles so I ordered them. Shortly after ordering them I decided a forged piston rod combo would be too expensive, so I cancelled the rods, or at least I thought I did. And I ordered some oem evo 8 pistons and rods instead for a more conservative upgrade

Fast forward to now and I have recieved and email saying that my eagle rods have shipped :facepalm: .

So I'm now trying to decide, do I just sell these rods once I get them and go with the evo 8 pistons and rods I have coming? Or get the machine shop to fit the evo pistons to the eagle rods.

If anybody has a new or used set of 85mm 8.5:1 or 9:1 compression forged pistons, I would be happy to take them off your hands fir the right price.

They are certainly an upgrade over OEM Evo rods, which are the weak link in the combo. The stock pistons are full floaters that don't use retainers though, I don't think they'll work without modifications.

Last edited:
That's right, the wristpin is pressed into the rod on the stock pistons, so they have no groove for circlips, but that could be machined, I'm not sure what the cost of that would be vs forged pistons. But that reminds me, can I use the wristpins in the eagle rods after they've been pressed out of the evo rods if I decide to go that way? Or do I need to buy new ones?

The thing is E85 is not available to me, but I've got 94 here, I'm thinking 94 octane with a little meth injection possibly in the future, with the evo pistons and eagle rods, I might be more limited by knock, than the strength of my internals? But I'm not totally sure about that.

I'm planning on keeping the tranny stock, but I've got an act clutch good for 415ft/lbs. I'm just thinking the rest of the setup might not be able to push past the capabilities of the evo pistons, on 94 alone I know I won't be likely to break those pistons without knocking bad first.

Last edited:
94 with meth will get your quite far. Depending on set up you can do ok with 94 octane alone. Kind of a shame some places don't have E85 readily available it really is some amazing stuff.

They are certainly an upgrade over OEM Evo rods, which are the weak link in the combo

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back