The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Acceleration Issue (stutter/stumble)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoostdDSM

Supporting Member
Feb 1, 2008
West Bend, Wisconsin
So the other day my car started acting up. I noticed the issue while driving under light acceleration. It seems like if i slightly get into the gas it stumbles and feels like a misfire but if i push the gas more it will get through that and hit boost and feel completely fine. When it's idling it will idle for a few minutes fine and then die. I can immediately start up fine but will only idle again for a few minutes and die. I'm not sure if the temperature has any effect on it but i did notice that it started happening when it got cold. But this happens all the time even if the car is warmed up. Here's a short mod list just in case it has any effect on the solution. I have HKS 272's, no EGR, no catalytic converter, full 3" turbo back exhaust, no rear O2 sensor, lightweight flywheel, ACT clutch, most of the vacuum lines are capped. I've replaced the ignition with a Coil On Plug setup and same thing.

I haven't done a boost leak test because I still build boost all the way up to about 13-14 lbs according to my boost gauge. I've checked all the vacuum lines and everything checked out fine. I will try to test for a vacuum leak but what's the best way to find a leak? I've heard the Carb Cleaner trick but i don't know if that's the best way to do it.

I have 4 codes from my CEL. They are P0136, P0141, P0403, and P0300. I know P0300 is a random misfire code but I've had that code since I did the camshafts. I've also read all over the forums that cams will do that a lot.

you can still have boost leaks even though you are reading boost

id check for boost leaks and go from there

alright I will have to see if I can borrow a boost leak tester from a buddy of mine. I will post my findings after I do the test to keep you guys updated. and as always thanks for all the help.

do a boost leak test,even though you are making boost all the way up doesnt mean you dont have a leak,and vac. test....good luck also check plugs and wires,everything clean and in good shape and no crossed wires,check to see that you didnt jump time and coils....

sorry i've been busy with college and working full time and seeing how its park for a few months (i live in WI) i haven't really felt the need to jump on it and figure it out right now, i should have some free time to do a boost leak test here soon, and i have installed a COP setup and the exact same problem after installation so im pretty sure its not the coils, when is a good time to change plugs? i ###### have about 15k on NGK's so i was thinking about replacing the plugs with new ones and seeing how it goes, but i really won't be able to tell since i cant take it out because of the snow so ya but i'll keep you guys posted

Check all of the above 1st. If your car isnt tuned it maybe going wild in this cold weather. My friends car kept sputtering and dieing. The problem was a huge boost leak after the GM maf. After fixing it, it never dies at idle. Even though i fixed all the boost leaks i could, it still sputters at 15 psi, but it doesnt do it as bad as it used to. It still had boost leaks after and before the maf, but i couldnt do anything to fix it, because he wouldnt go buy clamps like i told him. So im stuck between saying its the tune that off on his and the boost leaks.

i would do the boost leak and the plugs obviously.. you could also pull off your injectors and clean them you could have some crap built up on them.

+1 on plugs... I had the same issue, changed the plugs and all was fine.

Changed the plugs today and it ran fine for more than 15 minutes but I didn't take it out because of the snow so i'll have to wait until the snow clears up. But so far so good.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back