The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G AC Recharge Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It looks like a NO answer from the few minutes of googling I just did. When I left my dealer job in 2017, a few of the new models were coming with R1234yf and we were receiving all new equipment to use specifically for them. Everything was being kept separate.

If you live near the state line, I recommend making a road trip to stock up. If that’s too far or inconvenient, then I believe you’ll have to have a repair shop look at your AC anytime you have trouble (I’m assuming they can’t completely ban R134a, only the self service kits).

My son that was in Tech School said NO, it does not mix,
Now there will be a run on R134a....oh no!

You can buy the "enviro-safe" 134a substitute refrigerant on ebay. Its technically propane and cools a little better than r12 refrigerant

You can convert r1234yf cars to run on 134a systems

You can run 1234yf in 134a cars, it just wont work as well, its flammable and runs at higher pressures to make the same cooling power. Its not worth it just in costs. I have 1234yf to 134a adapters, they are about $8 on ebay

Im currently running my dsm on the r12a style refrigerant. For reference its mostly propane. There are a few people i know of running their 134a cars on computer air duster cans. If I had to rate how much colder it is, I would say the main difference is the r12a refigerant blows immediately cold, where as the 134a systems seem to take a little while to get fully cold

The R-12a (propane) has similar refrigerant properties to r12, in a 134a system it has lower high side pressures, typically max fill level is 10-15% less refrigerant than 134a.

Youtube r1234yf to 134a conversion. The YF refirgerant is higher operating pressures and flammable. Its really a garbage chemical composition to change the industry standard to charge consumers more in an effort to make them purchase new vehicles. But thats just my opinion.

So why am I running my dsm with propane refrigerant? It is flammable but not explosive, where as gasoline is explosive. It has a lower operating pressures, it works better. Its a calculated risk, just like removing the crash bar to run a front mount, just like removing the air bags to run a racing wheel

Last edited:
You can buy the "enviro-safe" 134a substitute refrigerant on ebay. Its technically propane and cools a little better than r12 refrigerant

You can convert r1234yf cars to run on 134a systems

You can run 1234yf in 134a cars, it just wont work as well, its flammable and runs at higher pressures to make the same cooling power. Its not worth it just in costs. I have 1234yf to 134a adapters, they are about $8 on ebay

Im currently running my dsm on the r12a style refrigerant. For reference its mostly propane. There are a few people i know of running their 134a cars on computer air duster cans. If I had to rate how much colder it is, I would say the main difference is the r12a refigerant blows immediately cold, where as the 134a systems seem to take a little while to get fully cold

The R-12a (propane) has similar refrigerant properties to r12, in a 134a system it has lower high side pressures, typically max fill level is 10-15% less refrigerant than 134a.

Youtube r1234yf to 134a conversion. The YF refirgerant is higher operating pressures and flammable. It’s really a garbage chemical composition to change the industry standard to charge consumers more in an effort to make them purchase new vehicles.
OMG Now I have some research to do. The air duster I’m really wondering how that works. What’s in air duster?

OMG Now I have some research to do. The air duster I’m really wondering how that works. What’s in air duster?

Again youre reading this on the internet from a random guy who is running propane as refrigerant: so

Im not a scientist, and i dont know chemical properties, but at the basic principle level when it goes from a high pressure to a low pressure at gets cold. So you spray the air duster and the can for it is extremely cold. You spray the can upside down and it spews what I can only describe as liquid ice

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I wonder at the lack of oil to keep the compressor lubricated and coat the lines, and any chemical reaction as the air duster stuff mixes with anything left over in the system. Drawing a vacuum boils the water off but it doesn't purge the system of everything. I'd probably put this under the hack category - excellent idea if you're in a bind, kinda like pissing in the radiator or using pantyhose as a belt, but not a good alternative as a permanent solution.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back