The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G AC compressor

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98eclipse2015

Proven Member
Jun 6, 2015
tigard, Oregon
Hello i have a 2g eclipse rs and im not sure if im right about this but when i have the ac on drivring down the street and i can hear a spraying sound and the only thing i can think of that i did to my car was recharge the ac. If you over fill it with to much does it slowly spray out? Or what if so is it still ok to drive?

Attachments

• 2015-07-29 20.04.19.jpg
    2015-07-29 20.04.19.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 146
I hope you didn't use a cheap refill kit with one of those click on hoses. The hiss you are hearing is likely the compressor failing from being over charged or air in the system, either is not good. How many cans did you put in?

The proper way to charge an ac is reading the high side, plus low side and some simple math. Goes like this.

Ambient temp x 2 + low side pressure. So 90° x 2 = 180 + 75 (low side example ) should be 255 on the high side.

Could be a leak internal or external. If you hear the sound with the ac off, likely a leak. Have it checked with dye. If it were my car, I wouldn't run it until checked. Compressors are not cheap.

I hope you didn't use a cheap refill kit with one of those click on hoses. The hiss you are hearing is likely the compressor failing from being over charged or air in the system, either is not good. How many cans did you put in?

The proper way to charge an ac is reading the high side, plus low side and some simple math. Goes like this.

Ambient temp x 2 + low side pressure. So 90° x 2 = 180 + 75 (low side example ) should be 255 on the high side.

Could be a leak internal or external. If you hear the sound with the ac off, likely a leak. Have it checked with dye. If it were my car, I wouldn't run it until checked. Compressors are not cheap.
If i did get a new one is it with a cluch or no? Im looking on olrailys websight

How much does the hood sticker say the system holds? That's a pound and a half, seems a bit much. Should be one with the clutch. They do have rebuild kits for ac components. I wouldn't fork over any loot until you can verify the issue. Need to have it UV dye tested. All of this you can do yourself.

A cheap manifold from harbor freight is like $50. I would get a can of PAG oil, could be your issue there. Those cans aren't pressurized, the system sucks it from the can.

For under a hundo you can get everything you need to properly fill your system, a vacuum, a manifold, PAG, some ac UV dye, and 134a. The cheapo vacuum from Harbor freight works if you have a medium size compressor.

I'd say vac the system, add proper amount of oil and 134. Add some dye to the system as well. See if it still sounds like it's dying. Look for the dye with UV light. If all is well return the shit you got from harbor freight.

Just to clarify, you'll be fine driving the car, just leave the ac off until you know whats going on.

If you need to replace the compressor, keep the stuff to fill it properly. I just did a quick seach for a rebuild kit, came up blank. My Tahoe has them for days. Generally, you wanna replace everything at the same time or you will have more issues. The dryer, expansion device, o-rings... etc.

Now, if you have gone through all the trouble of replacing everything I would suggest strongly that you have a pro vac and fill the system the first time. Watch him do it, then watch some YouTube vids. You can do the next one.

Just to clarify, you'll be fine driving the car, just leave the ac off until you know whats going on.

If you need to replace the compressor, keep the stuff to fill it properly. I just did a quick seach for a rebuild kit, came up blank. My Tahoe has them for days. Generally, you wanna replace everything at the same time or you will have more issues. The dryer, expansion device, o-rings... etc.

Now, if you have gone through all the trouble of replacing everything I would suggest strongly that you have a pro vac and fill the system the first time. Watch him do it, then watch some YouTube vids. You can do the next one.
Ok good i can live with out the ac and i need my car for work the amount it says under the hood said 24 oz and i used two 12 oz cans. Im about 90% sure its praying out i did alot of looking around and i did find a compressor at olrylies but they have ones with a cluch and with out so not 100% sure what one i need?

With clutch if you don't mind the extra expense. If the old clutch fails after you put it on the new compressor you'll be back to tearing it all apart. If it is hundreds more, I'd get just the compressor. See if they have those other parts as well. I usually just get the whole thing, no worries then.

And the 24oz is likely too much. That 24oz is with a complete evacuation of the system, and a certain amout of oil as well. If you didn't purge the line of air before hooking it up, you now have air in the system as well, x2.

If you were in Norcal I'd hook up my manifold for nutn.

Oh, and before you order, I love Oreillys, but.... Order from pepboys online, then select in-store pickup. You can get like 35% off and just go pick up the parts local and pay when you get there to make sure they price matxhed the OG price to begin with. Just got new Spider injectors this way, saved well over $100!

How much does the hood sticker say the system holds? That's a pound and a half, seems a bit much. Should be one with the clutch. They do have rebuild kits for ac components. I wouldn't fork over any loot until you can verify the issue. Need to have it UV dye tested. All of this you can do yourself.

A cheap manifold from harbor freight is like $50. I would get a can of PAG oil, could be your issue there. Those cans aren't pressurized, the system sucks it from the can.

For under a hundo you can get everything you need to properly fill your system, a vacuum, a manifold, PAG, some ac UV dye, and 134a. The cheapo vacuum from Harbor freight works if you have a medium size compressor.

I'd say vac the system, add proper amount of oil and 134. Add some dye to the system as well. See if it still sounds like it's dying. Look for the dye with UV light. If all is well return the sh** you got from harbor freight.
Well the sticker says 25oz so idk maybe it still had alot in it?

Attachments

• 2015-07-25 16.09.44.jpg
    2015-07-25 16.09.44.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 114
Well the sticker says 25oz so idk maybe it still had alot in it?

Could have had a bunch, could have nothing but air. Either one is not really ideal to add 24oz. Only way to tell is to vac the system to negitive pressure.

Here is a video (best I could find, read the comments) :
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Get these (all can be returned with receipts)

http://m.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html

http://m.harborfreight.com/ac-r134a-manifold-gauge-set-60806.html

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/sh...279-P?un_jtt_v_cookiecheck=on&un_jtt_redirect

Could have had a bunch, could have nothing but air. Either one is not really ideal to add 24oz. Only way to tell is to vac the system to negitive pressure.

http://m.harborfreight.com/air-vacuum-pump-with-r134a-and-r12-connectors-96677.html

http://m.advanceautoparts.com/mt/sh...279-P?un_jtt_v_cookiecheck=on&un_jtt_redirect
ok so what you are saying is to vac everything out and start over and see from there? Cuz i really dont want to buy a nes one LOL

Short answer, yup.

Longer answer:

If you vac the system and it holds negitive pressure for half an hour or so, then your good.

If you do it yourself make sure you watch a couple vids and read the comments. The comments will tell you the problems found in the technique of the person doing the how-to.

Might just need oil in the system or the right amount of 134a, or... both. Using that $20 vac you can get to like neg 20psi or something like that. Make sure when you put together the manifold you use Teflon. 5 wraps at least on the blue and red and only like 2 on the yellow, at the manifold end. The yellow you will loosen a bit at the manifold end when you connect your cans to it, this lets you purge the line of air.

Don't forget the AC-safe dye and the PAG oil. The oil is important shit. Whatever you do, do not open the high side valve at the manifold while charging. Also, do not tilt the can back and forth to often, keep it up-right. Shake occasionally. f*** the cans instructions. The low side is filled with 'vapor' off the top of the can, not liquid. You will see the 134 boiling off in the site glass of the manifold. It will take a while for the system to pull everything in. Don't be surprised by 30-45 minutes or longer.

You should have a pretty good grasp as I've damn near written a tech article. It's always, 'and this.....' and 'do that....'

I don't know if I've helped or made it sound easier than it is, but once you've done it - it will seem easy and you'll wonder why you ever paid anyone. Also feel free to double check my info, I only do this a couple times a year, though I don't think I've left anything out.

So today i just went ahead and let some of the stuff out by pressing the lil pin in and went for a drive with the AC on full blast and did not hear anything at all fo u think that fixed my prob? Or? Or do you think i should still do thos steps in the vid?

If you don't do it now, you could burn that compressor up. You stopped it from making noise, we knew it was likely over filled though. Now, what you don't know, still, is how much actual refrigerant and/or oil is in it. You can keep running it, maybe it'll keep working, or maybe you'll kill it.

Total out of pocket expense to vac and fill the system yourself is about $30, if you bring back the big stuff when finished.

You were looking at the cost of a new unit, you know what they cost. Add that to the above cost if you burn it up.

Get it filled properly or you'll pay.

If you don't do it now, you could burn that compressor up. You stopped it from making noise, we knew it was likely over filled though. Now, what you don't know, still, is how much actual refrigerant and/or oil is in it. You can keep running it, maybe it'll keep working, or maybe you'll kill it.

Total out of pocket expense to vac and fill the system yourself is about $30, if you bring back the big stuff when finished.

You were looking at the cost of a new unit, you know what they cost. Add that to the above cost if you burn it up.

Get it filled properly or you'll pay.
Ya ur right I don't know I'll just do the steps next week on payday pretty broke right now. Couldn't I use something like this ( attached photo) not the size but use the refrigerate pluse oil can? Wouldn't that add the right amount of both instead of trying to figure out how much oil to put in it by hand like he did in the vid ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-01-04-23-06.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-01-04-23-06.png
    174.9 KB · Views: 108
Naw dawg! You want exactly the right amount of both oil and 134a. You need to start thinking less like a 'passenger' and more like a tech. Passengers buy those dumb ass tool sets from the automotive isle at their local pharmacy. They have people at the autoparts store change fuses. Your not that person.

That can has who knows how much oil?!

Can of oil is like $8. 134a is like 20 here in California, but thats with a $10 core.

http://www.techchoiceparts.com/refrigerant-and-oil-capacities/mitsubishi

Naw dawg! You want exactly the right amount of both oil and 134a. You need to start thinking less like a 'passenger' and more like a tech. Passengers buy those dumb ass tool sets from the automotive isle at their local pharmacy. They have people at the autoparts store change fuses. Your not that person.

That can has who knows how much oil?!

Can of oil is like $8. 134a is like 20 here in California, but thats with a $10 core.

http://www.techchoiceparts.com/refrigerant-and-oil-capacities/mitsubishi
Lol OK well I'll have to find out how much oil to add by hand do you know where I can find that out? I looked in my service repair manul but did not find anything on that topic

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back