The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Absolutely NO Lower end power!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sillylepricon37

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2008
Rapid City, South_Dakota
So this is the weirdest thing! I have no lower end power at all.... i have to rev at 3k 3.5k rpms and feather the clutch that high in order to get the car to go a little bit. and as soon as the clutch grabs it bogs down really bad....or it will just die... and takes a while before the rpms start to rise in 1st gear. once the turbo kicks in it has power. but if the turbo is not kicking in the car has no power at all..... it takes like 5-7 attempts before the car actually moves..... An ACT 2100 clutch and lightweight flywheel shouldnt cause this.

here is what i know is wrong about the car

boost leak
no air coming out of the bov.... it still makes noise but no air coming out
idle controle sensor is not plugged in..
it over heats sometimes.... i think its the thermostat.

let me know what you think!!!! thanks

Wow, you have some issues. First, did you just replace the clutch + flywheel?
Fix the boost leak. How big is it and where is it?
How do you know no air is coming out of the bov? If you just revved the car while its sitting and there is no boost (pressure) in the intake track then there wont be any air come out. If its making a noise then it should be opening.
If the idle control sensor is unplugged then why not plug it back in? Someone might have unplugged it because it was faulty and causing idle surge but if its still there then it should be either replaced or blocked off.
If it is overheating then that is a big problem. If it has overheated then you could possibly have blown the headgasket. Fix the thermostat and go from there.

Aside from your other issues, which should be addressed asap, it sounds like your clutch is toast. When you do get the car to move at higher speeds, can you feel the clutch slipping?

i plugged the idle control sensor back in... it is over heating because i have no radiator fan. it wont fit because the intercooler piping is in the way. so i have to buy a new intercooler kit. i kind of rigged this one. and i know there is air coming out of 1 of the cuplets so i will put electrical tape on it.... and we rebuilt the whole engine and tranny. also the clutch and flywheel is brand new.. no it does not slip. its something with the engine. something small.

also its a greddy type s. it should whistle..... it doesnt whistle it makes it sound like a idk how to explain it... its like a dah dah dah dah dah. -whistles

Anything to do with venting the BOV to the atmosphere?

If not, just skip the whole paragraph below.

If it's got good power at boost and your bov is aftermarket, check to see if it has a recirculation line (kind of a bigger hose) going into the intake. If it's not there, then most likely that's your problem. That line is meant to essentially, keep your MAF happy (hard to explain). But, in short, when your car is not at boost, it thinks it's lean and dumps a ton of fuel in there, bogging you down and giving your very little power. When you hit boost, then your car is running right and has no problems, but then once you shift (or the car shifts), it should turn into a total dog again. You will hear the bov, that's normal, but you need the recirculation line going to the intake which some aftermarket bov's don't have.

So, long story short, (I am guessing without looking) but your solution is probably replacing the aftermarket bov with a stock one.

oh it is a massive boost leak, i do need to recirculate the bov. i just dont know if air is coming out of the bov. everyone is telling me its not making the noise its suppose to. its a greddy type s. could a massive boost leak cause this? or is it most likely the bov thats the problem?

it is over heating because i have no radiator fan. it wont fit because the intercooler piping is in the way. so i have to buy a new intercooler kit. i kind of rigged this one. and i know there is air coming out of 1 of the cuplets so i will put electrical tape on it....

What do you mean rigged? I'm guessing you mean a coupler when you say "cuplet", and if so, don't waste your time wrapping it in electrical tape. Do it right.
1. Buy some silicon couplers, along with t-bolt clamps.
2. Before changing your intercooler kit, consider installing a slim rad fan. You definitely need it.
3. You said you think the thermostat might be shot, might as well replace it, along with putting fresh fluid in along with a bottle of water wetter.
4. You need to recirculate that BOV. Go to Lowe's, Home Depot, Pep boys...etc and get some type of tubing that will connect from your BOV to your intake such as flex hose, rubber hose...etc.
5. Do a BLT. You probably have quite a few.

i recirculated the bov. plugged the idle control sensor in. tightened all the clamps and replaced the ripped cuplet... and still a boost leak and it still runs like shattt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back