The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Abs

ABS delete

• Like my ABS

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • In the garbage

Votes: 20 66.7%
  • Have no opinion

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • What does ABS do?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

import2nr4g63

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 19, 2009
STATEN ISLAND, New_York
To everyone that has done the ABS delete.
1. What were your reasons for doing?
2. Was it worth the time and effort?
3. What did you gain/lose in the process?

I ask this because I see some people deleting it out of their cars(2Gs). Personally that is all I have owned and have never experienced a problem with braking, until a girl blew a stop sign a second before I was supposed to pass the intersection, end of my first baby.

Didnt remove it, I have a 91 with a LSD. ABS was not available for my car.

N/A

No clutter in my engine bay from the extra lines and module. Definitely easier to work around the engine. Easier to replace lines if they are damaged.

There have been a couple of times this winter when I need to pump my breaks multiple times:D Make sure you have the right tires. I also have 4 piston calipers, and boy do they lock up fast on the snow and ice. I was also driving around in a private lot/course with summer tires.

When I have my winter tires on, minimal amount of lock up. The times that it did, the snow flakes falling were the size of buicks.

Clean up clutter in the bay, replace old lines

Definetly. Took about 3hrs

Gained better under hood appearance, some weight loss, some handling gain

The only negative I've ever seen from an ABS delete is braking in slippery conditions becomes a little unpredictable, and you can lock up the wheels if you're driving too aggressively on loose dirt, snow or in heavy rain. It's not really an issue if you don't drive in ice/snow. The ABS in my 98 needs a new LF wheel speed sensor and I haven't had a single issue in heavy rain, but it'll definitely be getting fixed before next winter.

never experienced a problem with braking, until a girl blew a stop sign a second before I was supposed to pass the intersection, end of my first baby.
This is almost exactly how I lost my 97, only the "girl" was middle aged and drunk. She cut me off, I went into the left lane to avoid rear-ending her, and then she turned left towards the bar 10 ft from the intersection and plowed my pass side door, pushing me right into a utility pole at ~35mph.

The ABS systems on the 1g were a bit inferior compared to the systems on the 2g. I might consider keeping the 2g system, but would ditch the 1g system in a heartbeat (like I've already done), but then again, I road race the car and it's usually fighting me on the track, which was the main reason I removed it. It is nice to have more space without the system, but it depends on whether or not you feel you'll need it - usually it's the one time you need it and don't have it that you regret taking it out. Most people who know how to drive the car at its limit on the track will remove it, but even then, some will leave it in. I don't see much reason for most here to remove it from a 2g unless they're really into drag racing.

I was considering deleting mine until I read Autocross to Win. Now I'm considering relocating it instead.

I deleted my abs on my 91 and swapped in a 4bolt lsd. Best things ive done besides poly bushings.

Eliminated.

Weight in very undesirable location, adds more complication. I eliminated the ABS and factory prop valve in favour of an adjustable proportioning valve setup. ABS on our cars doesn't redistribute braking force based on available grip at each tire, it simply releases braking force on wheels that lock. If you have done any modifications to the suspension and/or tire setup of your car, you alter what is considered to be the ideal brake force split F/R. Since this split is a set value from the factory which cannot be changed (other than with an adjustable prop valve), the ABS will kick in earlier than it normally would, since one end of the car will lock earlier than the other (most often the front). When ABS kicks in like this you lose significant braking power. In addition, if you ever lift a tire under braking, say on a rough braking zone (very common on any car with a coil-over suspension since you lose a significant amount of droop travel and usually have overly stiff rebound damping), you will lose almost all braking force as the ABS system tries to free the tire which it thinks is in a skid (when in reality it is just airborne).

On a heavily modified DSM, a properly proportioned braking system without ABS will easily outbrake an ABS car with the stock proportioning valve, if you have any ability to threshold brake.

With this said, I will always recommend ABS on any car that is driven on the street, especially in any type of weather.

Although the quality of individual ABS systems may vary quite a bit (some of the cheaper systems can be somewhat crude) I have yet to encounter an ABS system that didn't ultimately make the car faster. Even if it weighs 50+ pounds and makes your engine bay all ugly, you will be faster with it there.
-Dennis Grant

Eliminated mine because like most 2g's it needed the Hydraulic control unit replaced. I could think of a bunch of other things to spend the money on.

Makes the engine bay look nicer, as well.

Left mine on because of reading that Dennis Grant article.

My laser was never equipped with abs, but if it was I would most certainly remove the system. I've owned many cars without abs and loved them! I like being able to lock up the bakes and skid and slide and have fun if I want to! Haha! I actually feel more safe driving a car with out abs. I prefer threshhold braking and the trust of my own foot to pedal pressure feel with a properly maintained, mechanically sound, standard braking system. Id rather trust and rely on my own braking judgement and driving abilites rather than a computor controlled slam on the brakes system and hope the car stops in time?

Mine is in the trash. Deleted it for weight, clearing up the bay and less hassle. Also my FMIC kit did not allow it to be there. I think it was worth it, Some of the lines are a PITA if the engine and stuff are still in, if not, then its a breeze. but I had to cut a few of my ABS lines out just so I didnt have to spend 20 minutes twisting and turning and weaving to get it out all in one piece. Well worth it. And mine went on the fritz anyway due to one of the sensors and it was easier to delete it all together.

if you ever lift a tire under braking, say on a rough braking zone (very common on any car with a coil-over suspension since you lose a significant amount of droop travel and usually have overly stiff rebound damping)

Then fix the droop travel and the damping.

"Doctor, my head hurts!"

"OK, we'll cut off your foot then."

Notwithstanding the lack of sophistication on the DSM ABS, the money you save on not flatspotting expensive race tires makes it worthwhile. And in the rain, the ABS will beat any human alive.

DG

And in the rain, the ABS will beat any human alive.

DG

HAHAHAHAHA.......Yea, right. I'll give you a 1g with ABS and I'll have a 1g without ABS. We'll see who stops quicker....

'll give you a 1g with ABS and I'll have a 1g without ABS. We'll see who stops quicker....

I've tested this. Both 1G and 2G.

The ABS car stops WAY quicker.

On race tires, yes, the human will stop faster than the ABS if the ABS driver just smashes the pedal and tries to let the ABS do all the work. But that's not how you do it - you modulate to ABS engagement, then back off. Treat the ABS as if it were wheel lock. The ABS will keep the tire from actually locking (and on a soft race tire, flatspotting) which shortens the braking distance relative to a car that does lock a wheel, however briefly.

In the rain, it's no contest. Not only does the ABS car stop shorter, the ABS car will stay in control, were the non-ABS car typically spins off the corner (this is at corner entry).

Yes, the 1G ABS could be a lot better. It is NOT adjusting grip at each wheel (I've never encountered an ABS that did this, even the C5 Corvette does not) so you cannot just mash the pedal and hope. Having ABS does not absolve the driver of the need to learn to properly modulate the brake pedal.

What it DOES do is remove the penalty for locking a wheel. It keeps the tires round, prevents loss of control associated with tire lock, keeps you on line, and overall makes the car much, must faster.

If your rules allow it, run the ABS.

DG

My 94 Talon has ABS. I just unplugged the power wire to the control unit when it was dry out and I gradually slowed down from doing 20 MPH and my ABS kicked in. I almost rear ended a truck for that crap so it's gone.

Would I take ABS back. YES if I could get it to work how I want it to.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back