The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ABS leaking from modulator

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upgrading_86

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2006
East Hartford, Connecticut
i was just wondering if the abs is worth saving or should i start taking steps in getting rid of it

Considering you're in the northeast it is your call... You are in a wet/snowy area so it would probably benifit you.

Agreed it is up to you. Personally, my experience, my 1g has no ABS, 4 piston VR4 calipers and 12.36 rotors, they lock up sometime in the winter. Its also twice as much clapping force as the "bigbrake" and since you have a 90 you have single piston calipers up front.

If the unit is leaking, it is time to remove it and/or replace it. I am just guessing, but I am pretty sure these units new are extremely expensive. An alternative it to check the classified ads, ebay, part out vendors, or junk yard for a working unit.

If you do choose to remove it, its an extremely easy process. The only difficult part might be reaching the portioning valve. You will need an portioning valve, ABS brake lines (from portioning valve to brakes(x2) and from MC to portioning valve (x2)). Mitsubishi no longer make the non-abs brake lines, but there have been several for sale over the past couple of months on the classified ads, plus I am sure any of the part out vendors can help you out.

Brake Fluid Proportioning Valve:
Manufacture dates from 3/1/89 to 6/1/90
MB534829
MB699649
Manufacture dates from 6/2/90 to 10/1/90
MB407576
MB699646
Manufacture dates from 10/2/90 to 6/3/92
MB699646
Manufacture dates from 7/1/92 to 5/3/93
MB895431
Manufacture dates from 6/1/93 to 5/1/94
MB895431

STM also sells a kit:
STM ABS DELETE KIT | 90-94 DSM
This will change you set up to an 4AN system.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/handling-tech/413997-stm-abs-delete-progress.html

goodluck

Yea winters have been harsh and I'd love to keep it as a working peice in the car but finding a replacement has been difficult I have not been able to find one since december 2010 work has been killer and the time I do have to search I've had no luck. I've checked with the dealer and the part is no longer available and if it was it would have ran me 3000.00, money I wouldn't want to spend but all classifieds on this forum are for 2g's but I appreciate the response and will look into the info ### my location and experience with out abs points to a must have .

I'm sorry I just realized I never updated my info my 90 gst was totaled because of someone running a stop sign and not being able to stop I nite have a 91 gsx but your advice should be the same correct?

yea its the same advice, not much changed from the 90-91 as far as brakes go, 90 rear caliper is different.

The front should still be single piston caliper and use the same brake line and similar portioning valve, I gave you the part numbers to make sure you get the right one.

goodluck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back