The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

About to buy a 1G DSM... what to look for?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T10

Probationary Member
May 13, 2003
OntarioCanada
First let me say I am sorry, for asking a question that has probably been answered here a gazzilion times. But I looked around, and didnt find exactly what I wanted to know :p

Anyways, I am interested in a 1G dsm, preferably 92-94 the non pop-up light version. My ideal car would be a FD TSI (talon), since it weighs less, and has less mechanical parts that could breake, but if I see a good AWD TSI, I will still buy it. Anyways what do I look for? Any certain things that I should look for? Obviously I will do a compression test, emissions, and a redline testdrive.

BTW, with the compression test, what is "within the norm".

Also, how easy is it to lower the compression in the NA DSM. NA will cost me a lot less $$$ insurance wise, and slapping a scrapyard turbo on I can manage, but have no idea what so ever how to raise or lower compression, which needs to be lowered, since turbo DSM's have lower compression.

Also, how much money should I set aside, for worst case scenario?

Thank you in advance guys :thumb:

:dsm: :dsm: :dsm:

do it right the first time, get an awd turbo. look for records that the transfer case has been serviced. make sure the turbo is not putting out blue or white smoke from the exhaust, check the spark plugs for any abnormal wear. the rest is used car basics that apply to anything.

model specific wise, you can look for special features like 6 bolt motor/4 bolt rear in the mid 92's, but nothings imperative. just check teht ransfer case, and condition of the motor and turbo. the transmission youll find out on your own during the test drive.

just my2 cents. First things first get the VIN #(on the driver side dash by bottom of window) and check out with carfax or something of that nature to make sure it hasnt beenin any acidents. If you find a Turbo charged DSM you are seriosly interested in I would reccomend removing the hose clamp on the turbo inlet intake pipe and thaking a cloth and wiping the inside of the turbo to check for oil. If there is oil this means there i a leak and the life of the turbo will e shortened. this will take about 20 minutes. other than that a full inspection would be a good idea.

just do a full inspection(look at all of the parts, like turbo and such) and make sure she runs right and the timming belt/tensoner and such has been change if recently(withen like 50k miles or something, they should be changed at 60k)

BTW, don't let these awd junkys(hehe) boss ya around with their awd superoir attitude, if you like fwd better than awd, than get one! Fwd is fun to :p. AWD is good, but I prefer fwd.

You'll have fun no matter what you get anyway. Dsms are fun

i would recommend getting a diagnostic test done to it. take it to a mechanic and pay the $60-$70 to get it done. it will be worth it in the long run. also get a carfax report like R-U-QUIKR mentioned. you will wind up spending about $80 a car or so (if you get multiple diagnostics while checking out a few cars). but that is nothing compared to the $2000 that i just spent (and im sure there have been others) on fixing all the crap wrong with my car. i got a carfax, but the diagnostic would have helped me choose a different car. dont be hooked on one certain car. when you talk to someone or meet up with them to get the diagnostic done, or whatever it may be, dont be afraid to walk away. TRUST ME.

Thanks a lot for replies guys, checking the turbo for oil will be pretty easy if the car is sold by the dealer. But if it is a private sale, not a lot of people will be happy if I start taking engine hoses off LOL, but I will talk to them.

Carfax is good, but the problem is that a lot of accidents are not reported, since it raises the insurance. But yeah, $20 bucks is no biggy just to be safe.

About the Diagnostic, where would I take the car? I havent seen any Eagle dealers around :p , but seriously is there any good mechanics that work on DSM's in Toronto, or should I just take the car to Speedy or something.

Thanks ;)

you can take it to pretty much any mechanic for the diagnostic. just make sure you trust them. i dont have a clue about any shops in toronto. you could check online.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back