The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

About as NEWBIE as you can get!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SportbikFanatik

Probationary Member
May 13, 2003
FloridaUS
I am a total newbie to imports. I have owned 3 Mustangs since I was 16 and I am on my 4th now. It is time for some change for a little bit.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1990 Eclipse(turbo) for $600. The body needs some work but that isnt the issue. I want to know if it would be worth it to buy and put a JDM swap in it. I am not looking to in the low 13's or anything like that yet I just want a nice Turbo daily driver when I don't feel like hoping on my sportbike.

So the question is should I buy it and how much work goes into doing the JDM swap including $. Thanks for the help!:thumb:

Don't worry about high miles, most of the DSM here have very high miles...Example my Galant has 150k and still pulls strong......Now for the leak on the turbo that is a diffrent story....check the oil lines it can be as simple as that or just replace it with a bigger one....lot cheaper than the whole engine swap....That's my opinion....
Welcome to the DSM world :dsm: :thumb: (I mean in a good way)

i agree just examin the turbo more closely.. it could be a simple fix, and reguardless of if it is or not you can buy a stock turbo or 16G cheap and be alot better off than a swap.

BTW My 90 Eagle Talon TSI has 175,000 miles on it and im not about to swap engines.

Originally posted by SportbikFanatik
I am a total newbie to imports. I have owned 3 Mustangs since I was 16 and I am on my 4th now. It is time for some change for a little bit.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1990 Eclipse(turbo) for $600. The body needs some work but that isnt the issue. I want to know if it would be worth it to buy and put a JDM swap in it. I am not looking to in the low 13's or anything like that yet I just want a nice Turbo daily driver when I don't feel like hoping on my sportbike.

So the question is should I buy it and how much work goes into doing the JDM swap including $. Thanks for the help!:thumb:

again with this JDM crap... will it ever end?

So it would be a good deal?

Sorry about the JDM stuff now that I have read some on this board I understand the issues there. I would feel safer with a lower mileage engine in my car though and it doesnt have to be a JDM but the kid I want to buy it from said he could pick one up for $900. With the car, the new motor and all the exterior work that needs to be done it would be in my budget.

I am sure if I go through with this deal you will be seeing me a lot on this board since I have no idea about imports. If I get the car I will check the oil lines and anything else that needs to be to see if it is a simple fix and then just run the motor till it blows, but I will definetly consult all you guys first. Thanks for the help so far. Especially me being from the "dark side":thumb:

What is the model distinction.... i.e. GSX, GST?

as for the oil/turbo situation, get a mechanic or someone mechanically inclined to look it over and get an idea of how many issues you are really looking at. If it is only the turbo, get a bigger fuel pump, injectors, AFC, and UPGRADE!!

I have no idea would it be on the back? If it doesn't say anything is there anything underneath I can glance at to see the difference?

If you have a rear diff...its a GSX.

If you have a driveshaft from front to rear...GSX.

Might tell you in the doorjamb (not sure, just a fleeting thought) as well.

Originally posted by Defiant

Not yet, you aren't. DSMs are domestics.

Too True. We're kinda half white half black if you think about it.... damn why did I have to make this a race thing? :D The badges on the cars say Mitsubishi, but they fall apart like Fords... what can you do? Ya win some ya lose some!

Well guys, thanks for all the help I tried to switch side but couldn't find anything to do it with. I guess I am going back to the "dark side" I am gonna search for another Mustang. Thanks again everyone!!!:)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back