1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Road Race Build A street car, but for the racetrack.

Year:
Model/Trim:
Eagle Talon TSi AWD
Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. RWD4G63

RWD4G63 Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2011
    Paw Paw, Michigan

Road Race Build 118  3

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. RWD4G63

RWD4G63 Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2011
    Paw Paw, Michigan
    Well, I guess I should make a post introducing you all to the project now that I've created a profile.

Just a little background on myself, I've been involved with 4G63's since around 2013 when I started working at a shop that specialized in them. Even before I liked the DSM platform, I realized the 4G63 was a very capable engine and started the process of swapping one into my S13 240SX. I had a built 2.3 stroker 7-bolt ready to go and had started to build a compound turbo system for it (inspired by helping John with his compound talon), until I ran into some financial troubles and abandoned the project. I've wanted another 4G63 ever since! Fast foward to 2019. This car was owned by a coworker/friend, who sold it to a friend, who parted some of it, sold it to another friend, who gave it to another friend, and then I acquired the rolling chassis hahahah. So here we are!

The car is a 1997 Eagle Talon, and has been converted to full 2GB Eclipse. I really enjoy Talon tail lights, so I may switch to those.

My goal with this car is to have a fun street car that I can take to the roadcourse or autocross whenever I want. Reliability will be paramount, so some less-than-common modifications will be done so I can have a capable performer that I don't need to trailer everywhere. The car currently has no engine/trans/t-case or front axles, so those are all things I need to acquire.

Here's what I'm starting with:

jyJjdBOh.jpg

n4qvBDuh.jpg

mdgHPnVh.jpg

My first hurdle is the wiring. I actually really enjoy wiring and have recently started building complete harnesses for people. The wiring for this car was/is in really rough shape, so I'm starting with the engine harness.

X73ISq3h.jpg

9liqHVfh.jpg

LPobCXBh.jpg

How I build harnesses:

aPIiVcDh.jpg

The car was already using an Evo 8 ecu, so I'll be using the Link G4+ plug-in ECU for this case eventually. Starting from scratch with all new connectors and pins, and using M22759/32 tefzel wire.

tH7lTUBh.jpg

W7OvatEh.jpg

I'll be re-doing the engine bay harness afterwards as well.

I'll probably be dropping in a stock longblock and transmission to get the car up and running, but here are some things I have planned for the car if anyone feels like discussing:

TRE 12 plate Evo 8 rear diff.
    Rebuilt transmission with Cusco front diff
    Remote oil filter and thermostatic oil cooler
    Eaton MotorWorks coolant swirl pot
    Integrated fuel pressure, coolant pressure, and oil pressure sensors for failsafe functions
    Exhaust manifold pressure sensor
    Flex fuel
    Kiggly crank sensor
    FEAL coilover suspension
    Volk Metal suspension arms
    Bobby's upper control arms
    The car also currently had an ABS delete proportioning valve and such, and I'm thinking about putting ABS back in actually.

My biggest current debate is what to do with the turbo system. I could buy a bunch of stockish stuff to get the car running on, but I eventually want to run a small EFR, and it sort of makes sense to just have Morrison Fab make me a hot parts kit and never spend the money on acquiring stock parts I'm going to have to sell later...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020

Road Race Build 118  3

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. RWD4G63

RWD4G63 Proven Member

Joined Dec 7, 2011
    Paw Paw, Michigan
    Hopefully I'll get to work on the dsm this weekend, for now this Ferrari 348 harness is keeping me busy.

8jM0Cthh.jpg

qa570cSh.jpg

gqnibehh.jpg

Road Race Build 118  3

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    ec17pse likes this.