The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

A few (very) more OEM driveshaft yoke kits and U-joints.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSSA

Supporting Vendor
Jul 26, 2002
Hatfield, Pennsylvania
UPDATE: 1 Yoke and 1 u-joint left

So, the last post was 01/26 of this year about getting a few of these in: https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/a-very-few-u-joints-and-yokes-back-in-stock-for-the-moment.536591/

While we have these on constant back order status (as noted in previous post above), we've finally got enough to post them up again.

Current availability is (3) Yokes ( https://jnztuning.com/product/updated-yoke-for-90-99-gsx-tsi-and-91-92-galant-vr4-mr111611/ ) and (6) U-joints ( https://jnztuning.com/product/oem-u-joint-spider-kit-dsm/ ).

***************************We will only allow the yokes to be purchased with at least ONE U-Joint. One Yoke per customer, Any orders for yokes without at least one U-joint, or multiple yokes in one order will be cancelled, as will orders with multiple Yokes in it*********************************

We hate to have to do this, and while the U-joints typically sell quickly as well, it ends ups causing issues.

Typical disclaimers about "First Come First Serve", etc. apply. We try to switch it back to "avalable on back order" status as soon as they sell out, but we have to (sometimes) sleep as well.

Last edited:
A side note to this......

We would LOVE to kick Mitsu in the butt with production on these before they discontinue them like they have a lot of other parts for these cars.

*IF* you're just looking to stockpile some away, *AND* you're willing to put in an order ahead of time, please e-mail us at [email protected] about this.

We would reduce selling price, and happily put in some orders to go from having 20-30 on order all of the time to putting 100+ on order to make them realize that people still want them and they should continue producing them (and *hopefully* at a quicker rate).

I wish they would remake so many part numbers.... I had so many larger quantity open orders that corporate notified me that sorry, we deleted your orders because they were open for so long and not fulfilled.

It is infuriating to say the least.

Are the OEM spiders significantly stronger? I spent last week trying to figure out who is supplying aftermarket U-joints for these cars, and I think Moog 389 and Spicer 5-1503X are the right parts, but I am not sure how good they are, as I know these companies have multiple tiers of quality as well. And to be honest, some of the parts catalogs are conflicting or incomplete, or different between Talon/Eclipse applications.

And then of course there are a number of Chinese knockoffs out there that I am trying to avoid.

Bottom line, is the OEM u-joint the only smart play, especially for lightly modified cars (up to say 400 hp)?

Are the OEM spiders significantly stronger? I spent last week trying to figure out who is supplying aftermarket U-joints for these cars, and I think Moog 389 and Spicer 5-1503X are the right parts, but I am not sure how good they are, as I know these companies have multiple tiers of quality as well. And to be honest, some of the parts catalogs are conflicting or incomplete, or different between Talon/Eclipse applications.

And then of course there are a number of Chinese knockoffs out there that I am trying to avoid.

Bottom line, is the OEM u-joint the only smart play, especially for lightly modified cars (up to say 400 hp)?
Short answer is: "Yes".

The aftermarket units are typically much weaker and often snap. I've spent months trying to find suitable replacements that are as strong as the OEM ones. The main issue is that the aftermarket ones are grease-able units which is nice for maintenance, but bad because they're hollow as a result.

The DSM ones are actually a stronger design than the earlier Evo units, which stands to reason as they weigh more from the factory.

Josh, I found 2 numbers that "appear" to be solid u-joints.
Power Train Components #2175-07321222 "PT1601"
and
SKF #2175-07965193 "UJ398"
I only base the statement on the "photos" of those products, they don't show a grease zerk and look solid, but have you seen these before? Any experience with those?

Marty, the Power Train Components ones seem to be copies of the newer-style U-joints from Mitsu (MR196899) that are used in the Outlanders, etc. The cross shaft design profile is pretty thin unlike the OEM "beefed up" version.:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The SKF units seem to be similar. They look more like the Suzuki Samurai units.

Fun fact---we can blame those guys as well for buying up the MR470072 recall kits---or thank them for keeping demand up. I'm not sure which they contributed to more, but they used to buy a ton of them to upgrade their factory U-joints.

The SKF units seem to be similar. They look more like the Suzuki Samurai units.

Fun fact---we can blame those guys as well for buying up the MR470072 recall kits---or thank them for keeping demand up. I'm not sure which they contributed to more, but they used to buy a ton of them to upgrade their factory U-joints.
Maybe we should jump on the samurai boards. Guys probably have a ton of dsm yokes they won't be using.

Maybe we should jump on the samurai boards. Guys probably have a ton of dsm yokes they won't be using.
A lot of them are complaining that they can't get the DSM units anymore. They seem to be in the same boat.

yeah but they just wanted the ujoint and it was cheap. Must be tons of good unused yokes sitting in toolboxes

yeah but they just wanted the ujoint and it was cheap. Must be tons of good unused yokes sitting in toolboxes
Good call.

Unless they're idiots like me when I was using three kits to rebuild driveshafts and throwing 2 yokes in the trash "because they were cheap".

So I have what may be a stupid question. I'm sure I could figure it out with more research, but again worried parts will become unavailable so I'll hope to get the quick answer here. If I plan to replace the front two shafts with an aluminum one from DSS do I need these? It appears they come with a new front sleeve yoke if I'm looking at it correctly (doesn't specify that part in the description and I hate to trust just an image), but what about the spiders? Wouldn't I still need a new one for the far rear where it connects to the rear flange yoke? Should I just get one of each to be safe? Not trying to throw money away but want to cover my bases before it's too late.

So I have what may be a stupid question. I'm sure I could figure it out with more research, but again worried parts will become unavailable so I'll hope to get the quick answer here. If I plan to replace the front two shafts with an aluminum one from DSS do I need these? It appears they come with a new front sleeve yoke if I'm looking at it correctly (doesn't specify that part in the description and I hate to trust just an image), but what about the spiders? Wouldn't I still need a new one for the far rear where it connects to the rear flange yoke? Should I just get one of each to be safe? Not trying to throw money away but want to cover my bases before it's too late.
No. They should provide the adapter yoke. That said, if rebuilding, you'd still need the rear-most Mitsu u-joint if memory serves me correctly.

Side note: All of this batch of Yokes have been sold while I was on vacation (over-sold, in fact).

A couple (3 I believe) u-joints are left.

No. They should provide the adapter yoke. That said, if rebuilding, you'd still need the rear-most Mitsu u-joint if memory serves me correctly.
Thank you. Are the three you have left the same part number as the one you think I will need?

I ordered a yoke earlier today to WA. Hopefully it went through
Alex,

If your order # is 14125, it's about to be refunded. Unfortunately, this will be the third order to be cancelled for this last yoke due to this.

As noted above in this ad, and in the product listing:

"
***************************We will only allow the yokes to be purchased with at least ONE U-Joint. One Yoke per customer, Any orders for yokes without at least one U-joint, or multiple yokes in one order will be cancelled, as will orders with multiple Yokes in it*********************************"

Unfortunately, this will be the third order to be cancelled for this last yoke due to this, which costs us money in Paypal fees each time.

Spicer is a top quality brand. If you get life series ujoints they last a long long time and arent grease-able, that being said if you mess up installing them theyre junk as the cap seals distort to complete the seal. At lest in most of my trucks I've had that came with factory spicers like my cummins still have the factory spicer ujoints at 300k miles no problems and it's towed almost it's whole life.
Didn't realise the 6 bolt timing tensioners are now discountinued....guess I'll be dumping a whole cheque buy everyone I can find.
Now that down to 1 1g I'll probably be selling off several of my nos carrier bearings.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back