The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

A/F meter suggestion/question Wideband

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yhype

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2002
Thurmont, Maryland
While i was driving home today i watched my A/F meter and when i got on the gas some the meter light would stop bouncing around and just be steady and it also did the same thing when i decelerated by riding the gear since i hav a manual. So i was wondering if anyone knew how the A/F meter worked, because my thought is if i can get it to be steady all the time it would act as if it were a wideband(correct me if i am wrong). I was thinking that it runs off volts metered correct? and if the amperage was increasing when i was getting on the gas and/or riding the gears, so if it was the amperage that was controlling the lights not bouncing, i was going to try and figure out how to get my amperage to it w/out giving it more voltage. :dsm: :thumb:

You are very confused.

Go research the terms "open loop" and "closed loop" with regard to the DSM ECU.

A short answer would be "no", but that wouldn't help you as much as reading some of the background material.

The O2 sensor sends a signal from 0-1v to the ecu to give some feed back to the amount of gas is remaining in the exhaust. When you get on the gas the ecu will go into open loop mode which ignores the out put of the O2 sensors and hence making a more rich feul mixtures. This is good to give good acceleration. When you let off the gas and cruise down it also goes into a open loop when there are no demands on the engine as it winds down. The back and forth motion on the O2 guage is from the O2 sensor which acts more like a switch than a sensor. This is done to reduce costs on production, and from what I understand simplifies the adjustment with the ECU. I would not worry about what the sensor reads unless it is lean under a load or switchin too far into the red under normal driving. Getting a wide band sensor would give more accurate readings.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back