The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

A different take on a 2G................a Yugo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgiaboy

15+ Year Contributor
May 29, 2006
Covington, Georgia
I am new to this site; I read a lot, but don't post a great deal. I would, however, like to share a project that I am working on because I think you guys may like it. I am putting a 7-bolt (don't turn me off, yet!) and an automatic (no, wait!) into the back of a Yugo. The project is in my shop as I am writing this.

Now, the project is for the Grassroots Motorsports $2010 Challenge. Buy it, build it, race it (1/4-miler and cones), and show it, all for under $2010. I enter a car every year but am tired of not winning so I decided to do this project.

1988 (or '89?) Yugo GV is the platform I chose. I originally bought the car and a Northstar (yes, Cadillac) for $500 from a friend of mine that also does the Challenge. I sold the N* because I came up with a RUNNING '95 Talon TSi for $150 (with title, FTMFW). Granted, it has 234,xxx miles on it, but it does run and has good compression (for a 234,xxx-mile engine, that is). Trans. shifts well and the ol' T25 still kicks out about 11~12 psi. There are oil leaks everywhere on this thing, too.

I can recoup up to about $1000 dollars from parts (or parts car sales), so I am at $0 for the car because I sold the engine for $600. I can only recoup the initial amount I paid for the car, even though I got $600 for the engine. I am sure I can recoup the cost of the Talon by scrapping what is left after the donor parts are gone, too.

Now, my initial goal is to get the engine and trans. into race form BEFORE I strip them out of the 2G. This means that all my mods are going to be done on the Talon (tuning, dyno, strip) prior to pulling everything out. My list of proposed mods are as follows:
  • 1. COMPLETE tune-up and lube. BR7ES plugs, NGK wires, OEM timing belt kit, fuel filter, K&N (or other cheap conical) filter, PCV valve, new thermostat, clean out fuel tank (runs fine, but ya never know!) and a good cleaning. Also, I will change all of the fluids (including the trans. fluid and filter).

• 2. After that, add a boost guage.

• 3. Install 1G BOV.

• 4. Add full 3" exhaust (actually, just a downpipe off of the
    turbo. This won't be driven on the street while being modded for the swap).

• 5. MBC to 16 psi.

• 6. Add 255 lph in-tank and re-wire.

• 7. Add FMIC.

• 8. Tune, tune, tune.

I have a couple of AFC's, but thought I'd get a chip from KeyDiver. They seem reasonable, and they can eliminate and enrich certain points and features. My ECU is a '95 ECU, so I am hoping it is socketed? If it isn't and I can't find a socketed one cheap, I may have to stick to the AFC.

The rules state that if I already have the parts, I may add them to my car and assign fair market value to the budget. So, I already have parts like a boost guage, 1G BOV, enough stuff to make a 3" exhaust, an MBC, a used 255 lph pump, and so many intercoolers that my entire shop stays 20* cooler just by having all these contained inside! ROFL

The K&N and the tune-up stuff will have to come out of pocket and I'll show reciepts when I register the car at sign-in.

Other mods that I want to do, but don't know if they are budget-friendly, yet:
  • 1. Have converter re-stalled. I have a friend that owns a trans. shop and he said he *may* be able to re-stall the converter for me. I'd have to pay and add that to the budget, so.................?

• 2. Add new OEM head gasket and ARP head studs. That is about $150 right there, but I think it is worth it. I can freshen the head (yeah, I think it needs it at 234,xxx miles) here during the install.

• 3. Buy a KeyDiver chip like I already talked about.

• 4. Add some bigger injectors (or additional injectors). I know, I know........why not do it right the first time. The thing here is the budget; if I can find a cheaper way to add fuel at the right time I may be forced to try it. I still have suspension to buy, ya know? I have some 660cc's lying around along with an old Essex AFPR with guage.

• 5. I gotta find a small (or big) 16g. I kinda favor the small one for the automatic. What do you guys think? If you have a good one, let me know. I have some cash to buy parts with, I just have to find a good deal.

• 6. Add a manual shift box for the automatic.

• 7. I want to port the turbo, O2 housing, and exhaust manifold. Is there a tutorial posted on this anywhere?

I have some pics on photobucket. Let me get the link and I'll post it here in a minute.

Any thoughts? Good or bad, I don't mind. It helps to have others' input as I can't (and DON'T) think of every great idea that I implement into a build.:thumb:

-Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures by fastasleep_photos - Photobucket

Here are some pics.

-Les

Should be a crazy little car. Might be a PITA though. Keep updated on the post so we can see how it comes out.

So far, it hasn't been that bad. The worst part (and even IT wasn't that bad) was getting it off of the trailer with no wheels. The previous owner had a real set of Chromadora wheels that he wouldn't let go with it. I had to get it off of the trailer by myself with two jacks. Luckily, the thing only weighs about 1.5 lbs. :)

-Les

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of fun man! Good luck and keep us up to date! I think your mod's list is solid with your budget. How many runs do you do at this comp? I'd push that engine to failure if there are only a few runs!

Sounds like a lot of fun man! Good luck and keep us up to date! I think your mod's list is solid with your budget. How many runs do you do at this comp? I'd push that engine to failure if there are only a few runs!

We get 5 runs in the autox and all the runs we want at the strip. The contest is held in Gainesville, FL in October. And yeah, I'd like to push it as hard as I can, but I would hate to oil-down the track and prevent others from getting their runs in just because I wanted to tick off another .10, ya know? BUT, I do have a few nitrous kits lying around, too. I guess a 50-shot wouldn't hurt (or a 100-shot, :sneaky:)

-Les

:hmm: how do you plan how reinforcing or bracing it? Rollcage?

Check out the link. Yes, I had to build a "skeleton" around the inside perimeter to stiffen the car before I ripped out the back. I had a hoop that was tacked into place in one of my Colt GT's. I took it out and cut it down and installed it into the Yugo. I'll have two runners going from the hoop to a rear crossbar and two more going forward from the hoop to a piece of 2"x2" sqaure that I put between the front subframe rails. I will actually sit in the center of the car, like a kart.

-Les

oh no shit! thats just up the road from me! I'll have to check it out. It goes down in october 2010?! thats a long time. I might have to get into this. Do you have to be a shop to participate? I'll google the shop name.

If I may, the entity that sponsors this is Grassroots Motorsports Magazine. They have a website. I don't know if I am allowed to put up others' websites on here without moderator approval, but I am sure you can find it.
It is $125 to enter your car (it doesn't count against your budget). It is the first weekend in October and the host hotel is the Gateway Grand Best Western right there in Gainesville. The contest is held at the Gator.
I bought all of my tune-up stuff tonight. I got them to price-match Summit (which is about 15 minutes from my house) for the spark plug wires and plugs. I bought the oil, oil filter, some Seafoam, 4 NGK BPR7ES's, NGK wires for a 2G, trans. fluid and filter tonight. I may have forgot a few things, but that will keep me busy in the morning. I still have to pick up a timing belt set, a valve cover gasket, and some other stuff that I can't remember right now.
Is the balance shaft elimination helpful in the 7-bolts, too? It seems like it would be beneficial. Where can I buy just an oil pump gasket? AAP doesn't sell it. Anyone?

-Les

dealership should sell it cheap or you can buy a bottom end gasket kit that should have it in it. The one for my RS was only 40 so it shouldn't run you any more than that but I would check it out first.

dealership should sell it cheap or you can buy a bottom end gasket kit that should have it in it. The one for my RS was only 40 so it shouldn't run you any more than that but I would check it out first.

Thanks, man!

-Les

Got the donor indoors today. I put a trans. service, oil change, spark plugs and wires on her; she seems to be doing great! Alternator isn't charging, so I decided to shut her off for the night. I'll replace the alt. in the morning.
From what I could tell, it would boost to about 12~13 psi. She felt about as strong as she did the other day, but without the bucking (bad spark plugs gapped at .060). Tomorrow, I'll start throwing the mods at her. We'll see!

-Les

I went through the spares today and got out an EVO 8 16g and manifold someone gave me. I figure that since I am not using the power steering and I am moving the alternator, that the EVO 8 exhaust manifold and turbo could be used. I also dug out the 660cc injectors.
Now, along with the turbo that I am going to use, the 660cc injectors, full 3" exhaust, the AFPR and 255 lph pump, the 1G BOV, what else will I need to make 300 whp through the automatci? I have decided to make an air to water I/C for it instead of piping all the way to the front of the car and back.

Thoughts?

-Les

I woulda woke it too, maybe wake up the op and give us a little insight on what happened. The event itself was only a few moths ago. Anywho seems like a sweet little project.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back