The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

A couple questions about the 4G64 engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fi3ndx

Proven Member
Oct 5, 2013
Providence, Rhode_Island
Why do the N/A spyders have a different engine than the hard top n/a eclipse's that have the 420A engine? Ive always been curious about this.
Secondly is the 4G64 found in spyders less, more ,or about the same reliability wise as the 420A. I know it depends on a lot of factors like how well taken care of and maintained the engine is but I guess which one is known to have more common issues.
Lastly which eclipse engine out of 1g and 2g would you consider the most reliable. Ive been debating getting a turbo eclipse because I'm young and I cant afford crazy repairs, premium gas also can add up, and there is also insurance. Although 5 speed n/a eclipse/talons that aren't priced outrageously or riced out are hard to come by in my area. Any responses be appreciated.

I can't answer all your questions but the 4G64 is also used in the 3G Eclipse and the 7/8G Galant. I have the 420a 99 GS. I haven't had any issues with it but I haven't had it for too long, only a little over a year. If you are looking for power the 4G64 would be a better option than the 420a IMO. You can find a lot of info and parts for it since it's used in different cars. The 4G63 head can also be placed on the 64 block for more torque. I have no experience on reliability of the 4G63/4 but I know a few people who swear by the 4G64 (Galant guys) and have no problems with them.

Well to answer your second question, reliability depends on a lot of factors one of them being how well you take care of the car and maintain it and also your actual plans for the car. Do you plan to keep it stock or mod it? If you plan to mod it and make serious power I'd go with the 1g or better yet, you could buy a 2g and swap a 1g 6 bolt motor into it

If you want something cool for daily driver driving I would suggest a 3g or a 4g. The newest DSM you can get it 15 years old. Even if you got the perfect car with low miles and 1 owner your still looking at a lot of maintenance in the long run. I have a 1990 gsx and when I bought it I had to put brakes, rotors, calipers all the way around. And if you go non turbo it will probably be riced out. The 3g and 4g v6 is pretty quick too.

I just plan on keeping it stock, I'm really just looking for a cool daily driver.
Like the guy above said, the 3g gts or the 4g would be a good more reliable DD but since you specifically asked about the 1g and 2g models, I'm guessing you're just like the rest of us and love DSM's haha in that case they are both very reliable and will be good daily drivers. You could even get some minor mods like intake, front mount intercooler, exhaust and manual boost controller and still have a good reliable car

If you don't care about power you could get a 420a. Even clean ones are pretty cheap, if you can find one. Not sure about where you live but around here I haven't seen too many clean stock 420a's. Less maintenance since it has less parts (No turbo and supporting parts) but also less power. Good gas mileage and you don't have to use premium.

Just make sure you really don't care about power... when I got my car I thought I didn't care and I could wait but now I'm rushing to get rid of it and find a GST or GST Spyder. LOL

If you don't care about power you could get a 420a. Even clean ones are pretty cheap, if you can find one. Not sure about where you live but around here I haven't seen too many clean stock 420a's. Less maintenance since it has less parts (No turbo and supporting parts) but also less power. Good gas mileage and you don't have to use premium.

Just make sure you really don't care about power... when I got my car I thought I didn't care and I could wait but now I'm rushing to get rid of it and find a GST or GST Spyder. LOL
remember seeing a 2g eclipse along time ago and thought it looked and sounded awesome then watching tons of youTube videos of them and thinking I definitely want one! But when I did save up enough for one I bought a GS because I didn't know the differences haha after what seemed like every car on the road was faster than me that's when I realized I had made a mistake haha I then did tons of reading on them and finally saved up and bought a gsx.
Anyway my point is, if you buy a GS or RS, it'll be cheaper and way easier to maintain and you can support mod it as much as possible but it'll honestly never truly give you the power you're looking for unless you spend tons to turbo it.

remember seeing a 2g eclipse along time ago and thought it looked and sounded awesome then watching tons of youTube videos of them and thinking I definitely want one! But when I did save up enough for one I bought a GS because I didn't know the differences haha after what seemed like every car on the road was faster than me that's when I realized I had made a mistake haha I then did tons of reading on them and finally saved up and bought a gsx.
Anyway my point is, if you buy a GS or RS, it'll be cheaper and way easier to maintain and you can support mod it as much as possible but it'll honestly never truly give you the power you're looking for unless you spend tons to turbo it.
Haha that must of felt terrible. I knew about the GS, GST, GSX differences when I first got my car. I was originally looking for a Spyder GST or a regular GST. I couldn't find any for sale, so I settled for a GS thinking it couldn't be too bad. Once I saw D series Hondas were faster than me I realized I had made a horrible mistake in not waiting LOL

Since the thread is specifically titled with the Spyder GS in mind, it seems like you want the vert. If you can find a Spyder GS or GST for a good price, I think either is fine. Especially if you don't care about being fast. The 4G64 will be slow and heavy (Spyders weight more), but a lot easier to get more power than with the 420a. Plus a Spyder GS is a lot easier to get your hands on.

the 4g64 found in the spyder has a bit more power than the 420. Another consideration is that if you ever want to upgrade someday, you can swap a DOHC head from a turbo car onto the 4g64, as well as the stock turbo components and run a low boost. Or you could run the DOHC head NA. It's nice either way.

The one I'm thinking of buying has had most the things you listed already done by the dealer, and is stock expect for some rice tail lights which id swap out with stock ones. Trust me I don't even bother with the riced Fast and Furious wana be cars, they look awful and I know they're most likely beat on.

I live in Rhode Island, so I look here and in Connecticut and Massachusetts as well, but still it's slim pickings out here and its new England so rust is sometimes an issue. All the well priced eclipses' seem to be automatics which I just cant do, I hate driving them. I test drove a spyder and it had enough power for me but I defiantly want to get a gs-t or gsx when I'm older and money isn't as much of an issue.

Yeah I've read about that before and it sounds like it be a fun project to do in the future if I end up getting a gs spyder.

Just an update, I went ahead and bought a 1999 eclipse sypder gs. I'm happy to finally have my dream of owning a 2g eclipse, even if it's a N/A. Iv'e already been putting this forum to good use in finding info I need and part numbers.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back