The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

a couple of questions involving mitsu turbos and hybrid BB's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghettosmurf

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 28, 2004
phoenix, Arizona
okay, so i have been reading for the past about hour and 45 minutes now. The turbo education thread, the turbobygarrett.com 101 102 and 103 threads...I have read all of these before and I am always on here reading new things that people post. Anyways I have a couple questions

I am building a 6bolt with ross 8.5:1 pistons and eagle rods, hks 272 cams, magnus intake mani, either 880 or 950cc injectors, pump, dsm link, tial external gate, blowthrough with the MAF and MAFT etc. I was planning on the FP3065 with the .63 a/r set up. However right now I am deciding on whether to buy that and not do the 97 bumper/spoiler conversion...or get something cheaper for now such as a 20g or the PTE BB50trim. I know that with those turbos I should still be able to hit 400hp at the wheels with a good tune. Does this sound about right? my ultimate goal is low 500hp at the wheels, at the track mph traps above 120 and e.t.s in the 11.40s and lower...right now i was wondering if the sacrifice is worth it for a less power and having it look what i want it too. i read all the time about people hating to buy something twice, my car is going from stock to almost complete at the same time, so i dont have to do piece by piece. so that instant jump will still be alot

Also another question. My g/f has a 98 GST and for xmas i bought her an intercooler core and BOV...I am having someone build intercooler piping and she will also run a blowthru set up. It has 3" turbo back exhaust also. We have a 14b just laying around that i was going to temporarily put on since anything other than the T25 will need the J-pipe etc. I also have an afc, and she was planning on buying injectors. her goals are to hit a mid to hi 13 on that turbo, until she can upgrade. We are really looking into an 18g. Do you think that with cams and the rest of supporting mods and a healthy tune it can produce the power to be a 12sec car? Im not referring to driver capable, but car capable. Im guessing around 340-385 wheel hp???

Im really looking for info from people with experience from these turbos, or anyone with similar set ups...vendors and wisemen also :) . please dont say use the search function, i just spend hours going through every relevant thread for the last 5 pages. Many similar, but this is just my specific questions.

This should really have been two separate questions, so

1. With the 50 trim and 20g you will be hard pressed to hit 500 whp. The 3065 however has already been proven to be capable of 500+ whp many times, so I would personally go with that. If you are dead set on having a 2gb conversion however then by all means that would work as well, although it comes down to what YOU want to do with YOUR car.

2. Both the 14b will definitely require a j-pipe and the 18g may or may not (I know for sure the GReddy version does not require it and has an outlet pipe towards the passenger side). The 14b will get the GST into the 13's, and the 18g with cams will be 12's capable (if not on pump then race gas).

i know that i will most likely not get 500whp with the 50trim or 20g...i guess i meant for now im debating the approximate 100hp loss for the smaller turbo to do the 2gb conversion...i dont really want something laggy, thats why i was lookin at the bb50trim rather than journal bearing...

on the gurls car, i was always pretty certain, i guess from what i read that anything other than t25 or t28 will need a j-pipe on a 2g..

thanks for the quick reply man. yah it probably should have been 2 questions, i didnt know if i should make a drawn out thread or post twice...

That's fine. Only upward firing turbos will need a j-pipe, of which I know for certain all 14b's and all 16g's are. The 18g as I said before, I'm not sure how the MHI one is but the GReddy one is routed like the T25.

To make 500 whp you'll have to live with lag, there's no question about it. A BB turbo like the FP 3065 will only do so much to alleviate it however. As for your dillema, I would just get the 3065 first before the body conversion, or just the body conversion before the turbo. This way you will not have to buy twice, although it'll end up taking a little longer.

Best of luck with all your installs and such, and feel free to search/ask about any opinions about certain setups and parts.

The MHI 18g WILL need a j-pipe for it seeing as it's the same td05 housing the 14b/16g uses.

Go ahead get the FP3065, it will make the power you want but it will have lag. If you don't want as much lag then get a BB 50trim, but you won't make the power your asking for. Just get the turbo you want either way then do the conversion in a week or two. Don't buy a turbo on a rush decision that your not going to be happy with.

As for your girls car I'd def. lean towards the BB 50trim for her that make more than enough power for her and leave room to grow for a very cost affective price.

Personally im looking at a BB 60-1 from PTE which is considerably cheaper than the 3065 and uses all mitsu housing and down pipe. I am aiming for 500-550whp.

http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=2209&

http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=2198&

my choices are between this two turbos and SBR carries them in a ball bearing garrett cartridge.

well i think that the blowhtrough along with the intake mani, tubular mani and cams should help a little with the spool...what about the 3052, i know it is a tad smaller....On my g/fs car i really want it to be something reliable, i know that mitsu turbos have been around forever. i know that the 50trim is bigger than the 18g but is ball bearing, how will the spool times compare? Ive heard a lot of complaints about surge on the 50trims with quick spooling lately.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back