The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

a couple fmic questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocker_topper

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 11, 2012
marianna, Florida
Ok I'm looking into changing from my side mount intercooler to a fmic. I've been doing some thinking, and it makes sence that if your intercooler and piping has 2cubic feet of internal volume, and your making 15psi that when you change to more piping and a bigger intercooler your turbo would have to work harder to produce the same amount of pressure in the bigger intercooler system. is my theory correct or am I just overthinking things like I tend to do?

I'm no expert but I would think there would be just a tad bit of lag. But if your using a larger then stock turbo that pushes more air it shouldn't be that obvious. But if it's on the stock turbo would notice it slightly.

From my understanding a 16g pushing 15lbs of boost would be moving more air then a 14b at 15lbs.

I'm no expert but I would think there would be just a tad bit of lag. But if your using a larger then stock turbo that pushes more air it shouldn't be that obvious. But if it's on the stock turbo would notice it slightly.

From my understanding a 16g pushing 15lbs of boost would be moving more air then a 14b at 15lbs.

How much boost is the 14b capable of making? I've heard 20psi I've heard 12psi. also what is the factory turbo for the gst? 14b or t25? And what is the difference between the two? Sorry for all the questions just trying to get my reasoning straight.

The 16 is capable of a few extra psi but it's much more efficient then the 14. At the same psi the 16 is capable of moving more air then the 14.

You can run a 16g turbo to 40psi if you want, but it won't be any more efficient than 22psi, will wear out faster, and will blow nothing but scalding hot air. So there is really no maximum boost, your looking for maximum efficiency. 16g's typically reach peak efficiency between 20-25psi with the Evo 3 flowing the most. Flow is what equals power, not psi so it's important to consider that.

As for the intercooler increasing lag, it would be such a small difference you would barely notice. We're talking maybe hundreds of RPM depending on the piping route and size.

While it is true it takes longer to fill up a larger volume front mount IC with piping, you also have to think about pressure drop. How much longer in spool time does it take to overcome the pressure drop that the SMIC causes? In my experience, bigger is better. Not ever tried a 4" core, but going from a SMIC to a 3" thick full size core there was no noticeable extra lag. You might even see a decrease in spool time.

Don't be afraid of a big intercooler.

While it is true it takes longer to fill up a larger volume front mount IC with piping, you also have to think about pressure drop. How much longer in spool time does it take to overcome the pressure drop that the SMIC causes? In my experience, bigger is better. Not ever tried a 4" core, but going from a SMIC to a 3" thick full size core there was no noticeable extra lag. You might even see a decrease in spool time.

Don't be afraid of a big intercooler.

Ok then what is a decent budget fmic kit that isn't just total crap? I have a busted side mount so its time to go front mount I guess LOL

It seems like a lot of people go with the punishment racing or VRSF kits. The people that own them love them and they wont' set you back too much $. Not seen any tests to figure out when they heat soak, but they are definitely handle a lot more than the SMIC.

If you're planning on making serious hp in the future and have some $ to spend you can't go wrong with an ETS kit. A 3" ETS kit will take you a long way, and you can probably find a used kit for less than the new ones. There are a few others who make nice pieces, but I'm not as familiar with them. The Buschur kit seems to have a lot of research into it.

If you don't have a lot of money, and want an upgrade you can get a larger SMIC. Depends on who made it as to how much hp it can take. The Supra side mount is a bit of an upgrade, while something like the Hahn or Dejon SMIC is going to be well researched to pack as much cooling into that spot as possible. You can typically find those used, I know some people that got them for free or very cheaply from people upgrading to a front mount.

I usually wind up getting an ebay core and make my own piping. Now that I have a TIG I've begun making my own multi-side mount core front mounts like this
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/reliant/reliant_51.jpg

If I were you, I'd get a Punishment or VRSF if you don't know anyone with a sidemount upgrade.

I got a 3" x 11" x 27" FMIC & universal piping kit with various bends and 4 ply couplers & t bolt clamps for less than $300 from cxracing.com That was 5 years ago. I have run up to 35 psi on an HX 35 wih no problems!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back