The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

A/C temps fluctuates while driving

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizak82

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 24, 2010
palm beach, Florida
Fellas,

Im having an issues that I was hoping to get an answer for or see if this is a common occurrence for these cars.. I have a fully recharged AC system that blows very cold.. I just replaced my a/c fan with a factory one that works perfectly fine as well.. But when Im driving the car the A/C temps fluctuate from cold to hot, to warm, then back to cold any time im not cruising.. Even when Im not driving the car hard.. seems to happen anything over 3k rpms.. Granted today was 96 here in south florida, but thats when I need the ac the most..

Im thinking the compressor is shutting off on acceleration or perhaps just too much heat by the condenser (my headers are wrapped which help the under hood temps drastically) Any thoughts?

well vacuumed out.. checked for leaks.. recharged.. all professionally done because I dont have the machine to do it.. but it blows ice cold in the park position.. I dont think its a freon/r134a issue..

Good point.. No I have not.. The stock temp gauge on my cluster always sits right in the middle once it warms or during driving.. Never seen it go over that.. It was 96 today, which Im sure wouldnt help coolant temps.. If that is the case, would you do like a 70/30 mix with some water wetter instead of 50/50?

Good point.. No I have not.. The stock temp gauge on my cluster always sits right in the middle once it warms or during driving.. Never seen it go over that.. It was 96 today, which Im sure wouldnt help coolant temps.. If that is the case, would you do like a 70/30 mix with some water wetter instead of 50/50?

It couldn't hurt. Maybe flush the system and even replace the t-stat if you want. I can't tell by your pic but do you have an FMIC?

I hear a lot of bad things about the slim fans.. Im assuming you wont have space for the factory fans if you get an aftermarket radiator? as it sits now, the stock fans barely fit with a stock radiator..

I hear a lot of bad things about the slim fans.. Im assuming you wont have space for the factory fans if you get an aftermarket radiator? as it sits now, the stock fans barely fit with a stock radiator..

No you won't have any room from what I've seen. If you get a good set of slimlines you'll be fine, and even throw in a cooler t-stat.

I just googled thermostats..

Mishimoto Racing Thermostat - MMTS-ECL-95T - 2.0L Turbo - Mitsubishi - Eclipse - GSX - From: 1995 - To: 1999 | NextGenTuning.com

OUt of curiosity.. How much would something like this effect engine temps? I understand it starts to cool earlier, but in a longer drive I dont see how this would really effect anything being that the coolant is already going to be flowing around a hot engine for some time.. Wouldnt I be in the same spot that Im in now? Maybe im just cheap, LOL..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back