The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

1G A/C Fittings; How Tight?

Please Support Morrison Fabrication

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackedDSM

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
Google is absolutely useless. I tried every single variation of the words R12, R134a, fittings, tightness, torque specs, and everything else and came up with a goose egg.

The Question:

How tight should R134A adapter fittings be on a 1G DSM? The lines are made of some pretty soft/easily bent aluminum, but A/C systems hold a ton of pressure and I REALLY do not want a leak. The fitting on the compressor(low side) I tightened the hell out of, because it's solid.

But the high side fitting is what I'm mainly curious about. How tight should it be? Tight as hell, or just snug it up? I think it seals by the flare on the end of the actual R12 fitting into the R134a adapter, but can't confirm.

Can someone help me out here? I don't want to overtighten it, but nor do I want to undertighten it.

I figured, but my thing is I'm gonna take it to a shop to have the vacuum pulled onto the system and checked for leaks. I'd rather not have to pay for extra labor to tighten the fitting/find the leak if I can help it.

I guess I could just invest in my own vacuum pump, but that seems silly to spend hundreds only to use it once.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back