The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

99 oz edition 420a swaying

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UCF201101

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 11, 2011
Ocala, Florida
My car's rear end tends to sway really bad when I hit a pot hole or an elevation on the asphalt. It seems to be worse with bald tires. I recently purchased new tires (on the car). The car still sways as if it wants to fish tail. Are there any diagnostics that I can do or figure out which part that is responsible for this? Thank you in an advance for your help. Have a great day.

Check the sway bar end links and the bushings where it mounts to the body. Also, jack up each rear side from the rear jack point, get the wheel off the ground a couple inches, grab it and see if it wiggles in any direction. If it does, you have bad ball joints, control arm bushings, or wheel bearings. If you spin a wheel and it makes a grinding noise, the bearing may be bad. At that point you'd take the wheel off and start wiggling stuff individually until you find out what exactly is loose. For the wheel bearing, grab the hub and wiggle it itself, and try turning it. If the hub spins freely (i.e. you spin it and it keeps going a bit on its own) or you hear any grinding when it turns, the wheel bearing is bad. Wheel bearings should turn as if they're in honey basically. If nothing seems loose and your sway bar is mounted ok and not loose/disconnected in any way, push down on the rear of the car real hard to compress the shocks. If the car KEEPS bouncing when you do this, your rear shocks are bad.

These are just some of the things I can think of that would cause this. Another thing to do since you mentioned getting new tires is to have the rear alignment checked. If the rear tires went bald prematurely there's a huge chance that the alignment was off and that was the cause. That has a huge effect on handling as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back