The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

99 GSX Rebirth/Clean-Up/Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52903127001_5042b1a369_o.jpg
Untitled by bradydings, on Flickr

So I've been planning on moving for quite some time to be closer to family with my wife. This past weekend was our moving day to Minneapolis. I have a bit more things to do to the eclipse, but first goal was to just get the car on a trailer and to its new home.

I buttoned up all suspension/axles/driveline etc. Everything was torqued and marked with a paint marker underneath. Really took my time with this.

52938250863_9fd13b845e_o.jpg

52937957499_f27e71eb05_o.jpg

52937209457_dc666fa549_o.jpg

52938187810_a8528145f4_o.jpg

I didn't have the brake hardware for putting the calipers on, so went full bluetooth caliper mode. Fast and Furious style.

52937198847_796f449726_o.jpg

52937795211_9a9abba3cf_o.jpg

52937795246_3ba106f4b8_o.jpg

Into it's new home!

52937216042_3ee6c1f4e3_o.jpg

Need to organize for about a week or two before I get back to the car.

Peace!

Sup.

I've been unpacking and getting settled in at the new house. But started ordering a few more small things for the car.

Ordered:
-RTM Front Brake lines
-RTM Brake line kit (all 4)
-Zaklee Timing Cover (Tired of the cheap ebay ones)
-New driver/pass window glass
-Speed Bleeders for all 4 calipers

I failed to trim the bumper opening for the huge STM intercooler core, so I wanted to get that done so I could get the bumper to fit perfectly.

52974220404_b718af7343_o.jpg

I feel like I trimmed a whole inch off this thing..

I have to trim the hood a bit where my valve cover fittings hit, the hood doesn't close all the way as it is. Kinda bummed, but that is my fault for not slimming the fittings down/doing research on best fitting placement.

52974220399_4e51dbb139_o.jpg

Car is extremely dirty from the drive, haven't washed it yet.

52974076496_567d16baf9_o.jpg

52974449020_d5eab02b4c_o.jpg

Peace!

Sup.

I've been unpacking and getting settled in at the new house. But started ordering a few more small things for the car.

Ordered:
-RTM Front Brake lines
-RTM Brake line kit (all 4)
-Zaklee Timing Cover (Tired of the cheap ebay ones)
-New driver/pass window glass
-Speed Bleeders for all 4 calipers

I failed to trim the bumper opening for the huge STM intercooler core, so I wanted to get that done so I could get the bumper to fit perfectly.

View attachment 698960Untitled by bradydings, on Flickr

I feel like I trimmed a whole inch off this thing..

I have to trim the hood a bit where my valve cover fittings hit, the hood doesn't close all the way as it is. Kinda bummed, but that is my fault for not slimming the fittings down/doing research on best fitting placement.

View attachment 698961Untitled by bradydings, on Flickr

Car is extremely dirty from the drive, haven't washed it yet.

View attachment 698962Untitled by bradydings, on Flickr

View attachment 698963Untitled by bradydings, on Flickr

Peace!
Ooof - the VC fitting too tall? That is a bummer. The engine needs some room to move around too.

Based on how clean this whole build is going, I dunno mate. I'd start fishing for a replacement VC, while you re-work the one on the car. I can't picture having much gain in removing material from the hood.

Ooof - the VC fitting too tall? That is a bummer. The engine needs some room to move around too.

Based on how clean this whole build is going, I dunno mate. I'd start fishing for a replacement VC, while you re-work the one on the car. I can't picture having much gain in removing material from the hood.
It hits the support within the hood, which is almost an inch thick, not removing from the skin of the hood!

I MUCH prefer straight fittings at the stock locations with the holes opened up. Those sharp 90's flow like absolute garbage and cause the issue you're seeing. And I luck out with more space between the VC and hood on the Galant.

I MUCH prefer straight fittings at the stock locations with the holes opened up. Those sharp 90's flow like absolute garbage and cause the issue you're seeing. And I luck out with more space between the VC and hood on the Galant.

I agree with Justin. I would not be cutting into the hood. This build is just too nice for that.

Not too sure how I can remedy the situation other than completely re-doing the valvecover. Drill out all the new baffles, cut the fittings, patch/weld grind, then re powdercoat, just seems like a huge waste of money. I never even thought about them hitting the hood as I was in a huge rush to get to the shootout a few years back haha. Would probably just get the frontline fab cover anodized at that point.

In other news. I got my Zaklee timing cover in, which fits perfectly compared to those crappy ebay ones that you need to trim. Hopefully this one lasts a while without stress/heat cracks.

52976493437_ed0d940cc3_o.jpg

52977463970_4652760a60_o.jpg

I really have to rebuild both door locking/window assemblies. They are super slow, bind up, make noise, and the lock buttons don't work as the latches are so gunked up.

Not too sure how I can remedy the situation other than completely re-doing the valvecover. Drill out all the new baffles, cut the fittings, patch/weld grind, then re powdercoat, just seems like a huge waste of money. I never even thought about them hitting the hood as I was in a huge rush to get to the shootout a few years back haha. Would probably just get the frontline fab cover anodized at that point.
Yeah that's a tough decision. Cutting the hood is the quickest and most economical solution and that VC is very nice.

OCD is a blessing and a curse.
Oh, oh. heh. This is another way I could have written it:

You will make a good decision. Your OCD Angles will speak to you in your sleep until you get it the way you can live with it. ;-)

My OCD Angles are whiny bastards... Hows the saying go? "I don't drink to get drunk - I drink to silence the voices in my head."

I've been away basically every weekend boating and hanging out at the cabin with my family, but I've been ordering some small odds and ends that always take the most time.

I ordered the 1/8 BSPT plugs for the OFH, since I don't run the two factory sensors, pressure and dummy light.

I also grabbed a new OEM leather knob, which I'm way too excited about haha.

53036862913_2effcbd550_o.jpg

I also decided to do a new engine harness since mine has been hacked up so much in the last 14 years. I used to have an SAFC which always messes crap up. I have a mint 2GA engine harness that I'm de-looming and need to do some minor tweaks (1G CAS / Coil Pack crap) and some relocating plugs. I have the power transistor and fuse box connection plug under the dash currently.

53036862943_72c9ab6684_o.jpg

Going to install this bare, un-loomed and make sure the car is running correctly before I wrap it up.

Peace!

Finally got all the drivetrain filled up with fluids. I wanted to make sure the diff and t case were filled, so I got the nifty little fluid pump on amazon for a few bucks. This thing works so well.. Even when the lid doesn't fit the smaller quart bottles, it still pumps fine.

I replaced all the fill/drain copper crush washers as well as cleaned everything up. I used Mitsu OEM manual trans fluid as well as lightweight shockproof for the diff and t case.

53041318856_5eaf546100_o.jpg

53041700990_1ba4dc1436_o.jpg

Peace!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back