The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

99 GSX Rebirth/Clean-Up/Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

Weather was super nice and I wasn't skiing this weekend so went over and did some organizing, planning with the car.

I have everything except my subframes, calipers, and rear brake shield/brackets back from powdercoating, so trying to get everything in order so I can just fly with the install.

52673044250_8f28ee133b_o.jpg
Untitled by bradydings, on Flickr

Sort of forgot about the coilover springs though, they are cracked and rusty..... Probably will have to get those done LOL.

I also got a little side tracked with my lock cylinders, I tore them all apart and rebuilt them. They were so gunked up with grease they would barely turn. They now spin soooo easily.
I used graphite spray to lube them back up. I also opted to not use the billet door handles, I will keep them for a rainy day.

52673044205_100f23a389_o.jpg

Regarding all my bolts, I think I'm going to have them laid out on this table while I assemble. That way I can just come over and see what I have and then just grab a bag and go. The bigger bolts are pretty easy to remember where they all go, for the suspension etc.

52672606926_750f5cfec3_o.jpg

I did do a little bit of assembly, but will probably remove these items. I want the car running/driving as bare as it can be. Just to make sure there are zero hiccups or leaks etc, then I will do the FINAL assembly.

But it sure looks good so far....

52672900814_14fdcbaef8_o.jpg

Peace

Hey guys,

Weather was super nice and I wasn't skiing this weekend so went over and did some organizing, planning with the car.

I have everything except my subframes, calipers, and rear brake shield/brackets back from powdercoating, so trying to get everything in order so I can just fly with the install.

View attachment 686524Untitled by bradydings, on Flickr

Sort of forgot about the coilover springs though, they are cracked and rusty..... Probably will have to get those done LOL.

I also got a little side tracked with my lock cylinders, I tore them all apart and rebuilt them. They were so gunked up with grease they would barely turn. They now spin soooo easily.
I used graphite spray to lube them back up. I also opted to not use the billet door handles, I will keep them for a rainy day.

View attachment 686525Untitled by bradydings, on Flickr

Regarding all my bolts, I think I'm going to have them laid out on this table while I assemble. That way I can just come over and see what I have and then just grab a bag and go. The bigger bolts are pretty easy to remember where they all go, for the suspension etc.

View attachment 686526Untitled by bradydings, on Flickr

I did do a little bit of assembly, but will probably remove these items. I want the car running/driving as bare as it can be. Just to make sure there are zero hiccups or leaks etc, then I will do the FINAL assembly.

But it sure looks good so far....

View attachment 686527Untitled by bradydings, on Flickr

Peace
OHHHHH WEEE that hardware and fresh coated parts look amazing! will you be afraid to drive this once its done?

Last edited:
Definitely worried it will get side swiped or something for sure.. LOL Insurance will give me like $2,300 for it.
Ouch! Surely being so old you can have classic insurance with and agree'd value? Worth looking into now you restoring it so far from every bolt onwards etc

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I will absolutely look into it.
Gotta call Haggerty. You can list modifications you want covered and stuff and craft a policy tailored to the miles you drive it each year and the agreed value.

So my original plan was to get the thing up and running before doing any small assembly, but I can't help myself. I'm starting to put it together. I need to have a lot of the parts installed to get the new fusebox harness wired in and setup how I'd like.

It's the little things..

52687008543_50afc68759_o.jpg

52685995297_b61fd56584_o.jpg

52686792844_50cd1cd028_o.jpg

My storage unit is right by my work, so now that it is getting nice out (64°F right now) I'm going to start going over during lunch to work on it. I want this thing done!

I want to get the door handles installed, so that meant jumping the window regulators to get those up. While I was at it I cleaned and installed all the door trims. Just want to start knocking out the little stuff so I don't have so much crap everywhere. Figure they won't have a chance of getting damaged if they are on the car! Put the headlights on just so I can start mounting the fuse box and routing it how I want (again LOL). They have a plastic film on them to protect them in the meantime. I did the taillights and center section as well as the sunroof and got that all put back together.

52687738153_c25f00f796_o.jpg

52687667155_c817d9a80e_o.jpg

52687738188_3a0ee78cdc_o.jpg

Bummed because I bought the SPC balljoint's but I apparently got the positive camber only kit LOL.

I think I'm going to tackle the rear bumper next, then the sideskirts.

Peace.

are you using anti seize on every single bolt? either copper or aluminum? will make you're life a lot easier later on

are you using anti seize on every single bolt? either copper or aluminum? will make you're life a lot easier later on
I'm not using any on these small bolts. I took them all out without an issue and the car is 24 years old. The car will never be in salt/snow again. I'm not worried about it. I'll use it on some of the suspension bits for sure, though.

Also, don't ever plan on removing these in the future anyway hahaha

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back