The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

99 GSX Rebirth/Clean-Up/Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I got straight to work Friday afternoon getting everything ready to be moved over to the new shop.

52155545574_28f9b02b5c_k.jpg
Untitled by bradydings, on Flickr

Put the wheels back on it and got it loaded up onto the tow truck for the 20 minutes trek.

I got it put into the shop and situated where I believe will be the best spot for assembly. This garage stays pretty cool with the CMU walls on two sides and concrete slab thank god.

52154291857_3a3e6248b9_k.jpg

52154291862_6b2fb4e4ad_k.jpg

52155310373_a6acd9ec1e_k.jpg

There is soooo much room. I will start trucking all the parts over and organize/clean everything once more. There will still be tons of things I need to get sand blasted /coated/ zinc'd, but I needed to have it all laid out to stay organized. I couldn't force myself to work on the car with such little room and parts in 100 different boxes, just would have been a nightmare.

Peace!

I finally got over to disassemble the last remaining items.

I couldn't work on the subframes or suspension pieces while the car was at paint, so that is what needs to be done before reassembly can happen.

52285519633_17a6443e2c_k.jpg

I need to get all the stock bushings out and then get these blasted and powdercoated gloss black.

52286000410_4d3c9f5a73_k.jpg

This is my last bit of items that need to be blasted / coated / zinc'd

52284535447_31db8100b8_k.jpg

I'm going to get the car running / driving 100% before I even contemplate putting anything interior or exterior on. Goal is having it mechanically perfect before doing the remainder of the installation. Just think that makes the most sense!

52240681065_6f6250d36b_k.jpg

52285514061_2ebd97c2c7_k.jpg

Peace!

How big/heavy of a battery are we talking here? Any reason for not wanting it in the trunk?
Just a standard battery, really not worried about weight distribution. Just don't want it in the trunk as I have a full interior. I don't think I can get away with a mini battery setup, though.

You could probably find a way to make a tray to fit a honda half sized battery. I was going to try this on my 2g in the past but never found the motivation.

Just a standard battery, really not worried about weight distribution. Just don't want it in the trunk as I have a full interior. I don't think I can get away with a mini battery setup, though.
I mean it's definitely doable but let's take a look at some of the pros and cons.

PROS:
1. Cleans up engine bay
2. No modification of trunk interior
3. Keeps cables short.

CONS:
1. No protection in a crash or from road debris.
2. No protection from the elements.
3. Need to have a remote terminal to charge/jump.
4. Affects weight distribution which affects braking/handling, etc.

Ultimately it is your car and your decision but if it were me, I wouldn't do it. Judging by your attention to detail, I am certain that it will look incredible whatever you decide to do.

I mean it's definitely doable but let's take a look at some of the pros and cons.

PROS:
1. Cleans up engine bay
2. No modification of trunk interior
3. Keeps cables short.

CONS:
1. No protection in a crash or from road debris.
2. No protection from the elements.
3. Need to have a remote terminal to charge/jump.
4. Affects weight distribution which affects braking/handling, etc.

Ultimately it is your car and your decision but if it were me, I wouldn't do it. Judging by your attention to detail, I am certain that it will look incredible whatever you decide to do.
Yeah I'll just keep it in the trunk. I just want to make a carpet cover, it is currently where the CD changer is, tucked in that area.

Yo!

Wanted to post a quick update.

I had gotten all of my parts blasted and picked them up last week. I then took everything to get zinc plated, which they are not done with quite yet.

In the meantime I am prepping parts for powdercoat.

52442070044_bb3967d48a_o.jpg
IMG_0026 by bradydings, on Flickr

52442320058_4afc845599_o.jpg
IMG_0027 by bradydings, on Flickr

A little bit of me debated painting these parts, but I've come this far LOL, going to powder them. Masking sucksssss for the knuckles for sure.

I removed the OEM rotor shields from the rear bracket. I haven't run these in the past. I mainly wanted to get these apart because a ton of rust hides underneath these. I may blast and coat these, or just clean them up. Thought about making a new shield, or at least making a template to then have them lasered or something, not sure yet.

52441800726_76d63e935c_o.jpg
TUJS9314 by bradydings, on Flickr

One majorrrrr bummer is the paint protection film majorly f***ed up the paint... The paint cured for 6 months before I put it on, but now it has some weird markings.
Basically just expecting to get the whole car cut and polished when it is done anyway, so not too bummed. I want this things paint like glass eventually, so it was going to get it anyways.

52441289592_133a87c029_o.jpg
CDXI5111 by bradydings, on Flickr

HOPEFULLY I will have everything back from plating and coating within a few weeks, then will get assembling everything on the underbody which I'm super excited for.

Peace!

love the detail here. Though I'm curious why you masked off all of the bolt holes etc on the knuckle. Are you worried about hole tolerances or fastening over the coating?

Picked up my second batch of parts from getting plated. Super happy with how this all turned out.

52455788001_c7120e5bed_o.jpg

52458545403_ced6d1f6b4_o.jpg

I got so sorting on the floor lastnight. Kind of do a generic sort of bolt versus washer versus screw etc. Then I will start sorting by individual item to have a pile of identical pieces.

52458282264_2234fa9ccb_o.jpg

52458016271_4685d7626b_o.jpg

Even did the interior clips LOL

52458281774_4301717e52_o.jpg

Peace.

Thats a nice uniform finish. Are they giving them some kind of grit bath to make them all the same and remove all the old excess corrosion?

I know some vapor blast parts before plating and sone use a really strong etch batch before the process.

Thats a nice uniform finish. Are they giving them some kind of grit bath to make them all the same and remove all the old excess corrosion?

I know some vapor blast parts before plating and sone use a really strong etch batch before the process.
I had all of the bolds sandblasted prior to getting them plated. I'm not sure if they do any pre treatment though. Believe they just toss them in a big rotating drum to plate. If I would have polished the stuff I would have gotten the super shiny reflected coating, but that's a little insane to do haha.

I had all of the bolds sandblasted prior to getting them plated. I'm not sure if they do any pre treatment though. Believe they just toss them in a big rotating drum to plate. If I would have polished the stuff I would have gotten the super shiny reflected coating, but that's a little insane to do haha.
When we do plating we get a combo wether its blased or not. Its random LOL some new stuff comes out shiney and some dull i much prefer the dull effect myself.

The amount of parts you got done is awesome and looks amazing! I remember doing my dash brackets as they are plain steel from the factory and ma they made such a huge difference

When we do plating we get a combo wether its blased or not. Its random LOL some new stuff comes out shiney and some dull i much prefer the dull effect myself.

The amount of parts you got done is awesome and looks amazing! I remember doing my dash brackets as they are plain steel from the factory and ma they made such a huge difference
UGH... I thought about pulling all the dash brackets and shifter base and all that crap but I called it quits. Can always do that later on! Just did everything in the engine bay and everything that bolts to the exterior/underbody etc. Didn't really do the interior except for some stuff that I had already removed like the clips/bolts etc.

UGH... I thought about pulling all the dash brackets and shifter base and all that crap but I called it quits. Can always do that later on! Just did everything in the engine bay and everything that bolts to the exterior/underbody etc. Didn't really do the interior except for some stuff that I had already removed like the clips/bolts etc.
Yeah the dash and shifter were to me an eye sore, some of mine are seen now as its all stripped inside but it was really bad looking and no holes but i hate rust inside the car as you can always end up smelling it when you know its there LOL, weird mind trick.

The outside ones you done are far more important for sure. Shocmed none were totally bad wnd heads rounded on any of them

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back