The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

99 GSX Rebirth/Clean-Up/Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you going to start a new build thread? If so post it here so we all can find it.

Id love more information on how you found that new gem and what all went into getting it. Looks amazing.

Congrats btw!

Are you going to start a new build thread? If so post it here so we all can find it.

Id love more information on how you found that new gem and what all went into getting it. Looks amazing.

Congrats btw!

I will be continuing the thread on this one as the shell is the only thing that has changed. Literally everything, glass, wiring, everything, is from my last 99'.

I know a guy with a mint 99 Barcelona with 50k miles who found the white one. He is running into some money problems so he sold it to me since he knew I would take the best care of it.

So my first goal was to get rid of all duplicate parts so I can stop paying for my storage unit. so I have compared every piece of duplicates and kept the one in better shape of the two.

That left me with the "worse" of the two, full black interior swap. Everything. Seatbelts, dash, everything.

50711456022_7f80cf2b26_b.jpg
Untitled by Brady Dingeldein, on Flickr

I've posted this for sale for $500 on facebook. I'm not going to ship this.

50710634703_795a2cc397_b.jpg

Another thing I wanted to do, which I failed to do in the past, is break loose all the axle nuts while the car is on the ground!

I popped the wheel off to be PLEASANTLY surprised with the axle nut looking like this.

50710634323_7daae30f8a_b.jpg

All 4 axle nuts popped off without a hiccup.. amazing...

I then sold the evo 8 enkeis it came with. Someone showed up with $500 within the hour to pick them up.

50710634923_dd8eab45a3_b.jpg

since I had everything out, I wanted to inspect everything and then do a deep cleaning.

50716401488_d7512d5295_b.jpg

Unlike the previous shell, I will be keeping the following:

-Wipers (front and rear) with their motors.
-Washer fluid reservoir, pump, and all hoses/nozzles
-Heater core & blower/fan assembly/ducting.

While I was back here I swapped in my old antenna motor as the new one was broken.

50717139746_2621920e11_b.jpg

I got my dash back installed, with the gauge cluster.

50716401308_ed92056370_b.jpg

I put the trunk area back together completely.

50717140156_0238045880_b.jpg

Attachments

• 50710634703_795a2cc397_b.jpg
    50710634703_795a2cc397_b.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I will keep the spare in the back to support the cargo floor.

50716468183_26d779865e_b.jpg

It is crazy how clean this shell is....

50717207341_27b72784ff_b.jpg

Another thing I did while I had the spare parts was swap my cluster into a 5spd housing so I didn't have to look at the A/T section in the center of the cluster. My car was originally automatic.

50716468623_f1a54f47b0_b.jpg

So now It is in a proper 5spd housing without the opening in the center lower portion of the cluster.

50716468678_cd5b2c0f93_b.jpg

Even though I will more than likely be removing a lot of this in the future prior to some painting/wiring, I wanted to get the interior 100% installed and complete with all correct hardware so I didn't forget or lose anything. I also didn't want things to get damaged, so figured this would be the best route.

I need to figure out how to clean the headliner/visors next so I can swap those and the sunroof.

Peace!

-Brady

Small update:

I got a couple more small things back from powder coating. This includes my bullfab cross member, lower brace, and transmission mount, all in gloss black.

50875250921_a203a861b3_b.jpg

I picked up my built head from Icrave Boost as well.

50874546543_15f23ed3f1_b.jpg

50874546598_113b5a0e99_b.jpg

50875250531_f25df45d93_b.jpg

I have been talking with I Crave Boost about doing a block refresh. Checking everything out, new ARP main studs, new rings/bearings etc. as well. I will probably pull the trigger and have them fully assemble the entire long block.

Peace!

Yo!

So I've still slowly been buying parts for the refresh/resto and slowly cleaning/disassembling the shell getting it ready for paint.

I yanked the OEM long-block and got that sold. I now have duplicates of the full drivetrain. Unsure if I will sell all the duplicates or not....

51081879696_7cec062711_b.jpg
IMG_1323 by Brady Dingeldein, on Flickr

Gutting this thing and getting it how I want it. I'm filling every hole I am not using, and gutting ac/heat/abs/blower/wipers/washer fluid.

You can see on my table I picked up the JDM Galant knuckles so I don't need the adapters anymore also.

51012692535_75a850c366_b.jpg
IMG_1481 by Brady Dingeldein, on Flickr

I wanted to take inventory of all my parts/powdercoated items to see if I was missing anything etc. I can't wait to put all this together.

51081879246_3ea1b01d1c_b.jpg
IMG_1476 by Brady Dingeldein, on Flickr

I finally got my bucket of bolts sent out to get media blasted. This is every bolt I removed from underneath the car all exterior panels etc.

51081879421_a627959f96_b.jpg
IMG_1472 by Brady Dingeldein, on Flickr

I went ahead and had the hood latch blasted as well. All these parts are currently at the plating company getting yellow-chromate zinc'd so they will all look brand new OEM.

51081182578_44b9316a1f_b.jpg
IMG_1471 by Brady Dingeldein, on Flickr

Everything that is bare metal will be blasted and zinc plated.

Peace!

-Brady

Holy crap! Just a huge bucket of bolts?!! That’s going to be a nightmare remembering and figuring out where exactly every bolt goes LOL!! Man I am so jealous of that garage still hahahaha!!

Haha. On a previous post I showed how I kept track. I took pictures of every bolt and where it went, with measurements of the bolt!

Yo!

Yesterday I pulled the trigger on my body shop deposit and drop-off date! Can't wait.

The following is being done:

-Underbody/wheel well are getting scraped/grinded/cleaned and then will be seam sealed and U-Pol Raptor lined in black.
-Glass is all being removed, windshield is getting replaced with new.
-All Jams, entire body and doors getting sprayed as well as bottom of hood OEM Northstar White
-Wiper hole and washer fluid holes are getting shaved and filled (not running wipers)
-Engine bay is getting completely shaved and sprayed

I will have to go and remove the subframes once it arrives at the shop for it to get the underbody completed.

Also, since the pricing for blasting/zinc plating was a lot better than I thought, I will be zinc plating the rest of the bare brackets and metal parts throughout the car instead of powdercoating.

Peace!

I’m sure prices differ according to company/lot size/where your located but I’m curious roughly the cost of that bucket of hardware is costing you to have re plated?

Looking good so far. Been following for a long time.

I’m sure prices differ according to company/lot size/where your located but I’m curious roughly the cost of that bucket of hardware is costing you to have re plated?

Looking good so far. Been following for a long time.

That whole bucket of bolts/brackets. Which is basically every single bumper/body part bolt, as well as every bolt under the car, was $80 to blast. And the plating price isn't confirmed yet, but with zinc plating, you can "batch plate" instead of the typical hooking a wire to each part and charging the part to coat it, so that makes it much easier. They will do that entire bucket in one basket. I will make a post when I get them back from plating. Definitely reasonable. I believe he told me it would not be more than $200.

Sorry I am bombing your thread today but I just noticed you have poly subframe bushings, I have been looking into getting replacement front and rear subframe bushings but unsure about going with solid aluminum inserts. What made you go with the red poly bushing inserts? Are you replacing both front and rear subframe bushings?

You're not bombing! All good information to have.
You're looking at all the suspension bushings in red FYI.

I bought the Torque Solution rear poly subframe bushings and the volk solid front subframe bushings. I only bought the solid because they do not offer poly replacement subframe bushings at the moment or else I wouldn't have gotten the solid bushings! haha.

Solid were cheaper, and the thing already vibrates like a washing machine with a load of bricks haha

I've done some searching throughout the forums but I really can't get any clear reviews on solid vs. poly mounts in the front and rear subframes and how they ride. Are either THAT noisy? Rattle THAT much? Daily/weekend cruising friendly in any regard? Finding a good solution for subframe bushings seems to be a struggle all of us deal with. Solid seem readily available for both front and rear but I can't seem to just find a good inclusive set for both anywhere. My OCD would prevent me from running red poly out back with solid front and vice versa. I just wish someone sold a kit that came with front, rear and diff bushings. All one color and all made by the same company. Struggle is real :rolleyes:

I've done some searching throughout the forums but I really can't get any clear reviews on solid vs. poly mounts in the front and rear subframes and how they ride. Are either THAT noisy? Rattle THAT much? Daily/weekend cruising friendly in any regard? Finding a good solution for subframe bushings seems to be a struggle all of us deal with. Solid seem readily available for both front and rear but I can't seem to just find a good inclusive set for both anywhere. My OCD would prevent me from running red poly out back with solid front and vice versa. I just wish someone sold a kit that came with front, rear and diff bushings. All one color and all made by the same company. Struggle is real :rolleyes:

GSX Dude definitely makes and sells all of them for $390 I believe! Side note, the rear bushings are Black, not red haha.

GSX Dude definitely makes and sells all of them for $390 I believe! Side note, the rear bushings are Black, not red haha.

Props to you on having red fronts and black rears...I wouldn't be able to sleep LOL

I may have reach out to him to get a full set then. Id be curious how they ride and pros/cons of them. Thanks for the heads up!

Props to you on having red fronts and black rears...I wouldn't be able to sleep LOL

I may have reach out to him to get a full set then. Id be curious how they ride and pros/cons of them. Thanks for the heads up!

Haha. I have solid fronts from Volk, and black torque solution poly rears. And red suspension polys. I actually ordered the black suspension polys but they showed up red... haha

Yo.

I picked up my bucket o' bolts from plating. So happy with the results!

51097012736_840e8e5d05_k.jpg

51097090739_8f400e2f90_k.jpg

51097090729_da92137ac6_k.jpg

I thought about possibly tearing apart junkyard dsms and providing this service. Label and tag all the bolts based on the part number. Since a lot of these bolts are not available, or crazy priced per bolt. Not sure yet. I will have duplicates of basically two whole DSMs worth of bolts I will start to organize here soon.

Peace!

-Brady

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back