The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

'99 GSX - Building my ideal 2Gb

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Sawyer

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 26, 2002
Portland, Oregon
Hey guys,
Was away from the forums for a few years after selling my original '99 GSX that turned into an '05 EVO. Built the EVO for power after having sold a pretty showy GSX and made 599whp/465wtq on a stupidly slow-spooling T4 35R I was coerced into using before burning out on that driving experience, selling it and moving on to a custom fiberglass car project. Wanted to get back into the swing and share what I've got so far on the new to me DSM I bought since.

I purchased this '99 GSX to be my daily after going through several other cars and realizing that nothing other than a DSM would satisfy me for regular driving. Bought it stock save for the Greddy Type S (original owner had a novel of dealer service records) and have since added basic bolt-ons: Injen intake, EVO III exhaust manifold, Walbro 255, A'PEXi N1 TBE, Tein Basics (soon to be on my fiancee's '97 GST), 19" Racing Hart C5 EVOs, Centric slotted/drilled rotors, Centric pads and Extreme PSI SS brake lines installed to date. Have an ETS 4" SS intercooler kit, MAFT setup, Innovate WB, Defi boost gauge, EVO III 16G, tubular O2 housing, Precision 1000cc injectors, a set of Tein Flex and a few other odds and ends laying around to install and tune on E85 once the motor is freshened up. It did just turn over 215,000 miles on all stock engine/drivetrain no rebuilds and runs/pulls great, but after doing its 3rd timing belt and the cam/crank seals we found the crank seal still seeping, so it's getting to be time. I'd really hate to crank it up and put a hole in the block since keeping the engine that came in the car in the car, is important to me.

We (fiancee and I) just recently finished a seriously labor intensive rear hatch and audio system build and wanted to share some pictures of that and the car. Comments are always appreciated!

photo7u.jpg

photo6v.jpg

photo8b.jpg

photo11g.jpg

photo9wm.jpg

photo10y.jpg

Tom

Awsome ride. I got my fiance to help fund my project also. haha
Im new to dsm,but so far it great owning one.

whyadsm;bt7451 said:
Awsome ride. I got my fiance to help fund my project also. haha
Im new to dsm,but so far it great owning one.

Thank you. So who got you into DSMs? It's a sickness I've had for almost 10 years now. I am a part of the 4G63 for life crew at this point I think :) Glad to have you on board! Any pictures of your '99?

broken1g;bt7453 said:
i love those wheels

Thanks! Yeah I have a bit of an obsession with them actually. Spent almost a year looking for a good set of C5 EVOs in 19" before I found these. My fiancee's GST has an 18" set in black/polished on Barcelona Red Pearl. They're getting rare enough that I'm almost to the point of buying any that come up for sale just in case, LOL.

Tom

Nice build im not a fan of dual though...even though i had a dual deck im my car that had 25 more watts then anything else i could find. Nvm i guess i like dual.

Wow, looks great for 200K miles! Good job

All that work on the trunk just to toss some garbage dual speakers in there. I understand money is always an issue but thats like tossin an FP manifold, tubular o2 full 3 inch catback and tossin a t-25 in between it all.

Tinted1gTurbo;bt7467 said:
Nice car. really clean and the system looks really nice.

Thanks!

brassnuts911;bt7470 said:
Nice build im not a fan of dual though...even though i had a dual deck im my car that had 25 more watts then anything else i could find. Nvm i guess i like dual.

I'm not a fan of Dual either, but at $17 each I had to give them a shot. My experience with audio has always been that good, clean power and plenty of it coupled with a properly designed enclosure is most of what makes for good bass output. Tuned to the best of my ability they actually sound very good. The enclosure allows for 1 cube per subwoofer, which fits into the wheelhouse for just about any 10" woofer short of the extreme SPL choices. If I stumble on a good deal for some better woofers I'll jump on it, but these work great. Speakers are Eclipse 4-way coaxial 6x9 in the rear and 6.5" separates in front which sound fantastic with PG power.

Trickstar;bt7476 said:
I just wish it was a dsm

Sure enough, my build sticker doesn't say it and my car wasn't assembled in Normal, IL <1996. Most would let me in the club though I'd think :)

timmy;bt7479 said:
Wow, looks great for 200K miles! Good job

Thanks! After being into DSMs for about 10 years now and knowing how it felt to have sold a prime example, I have every intention of owning this one as long as I live. It's next to impossible to find a clean one these days and I don't really have the time for a restoration. Got really lucky finding this one.

Blaze2gDSM;bt7482 said:
All that work on the trunk just to toss some garbage dual speakers in there. I understand money is always an issue but thats like tossin an FP manifold, tubular o2 full 3 inch catback and tossin a t-25 in between it all.

Haha yeah I agree. I'll upgrade sooner or later. Please ignore the Dual subs behind the curtain, LOL.

Tom

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back