The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

99 gst k&n filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoryJNason

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 20, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I'm looking at initial upgrades. Is an intake really going to benefit me when I have a stock turbo? I had an Evo x and didn't really benefit until I went big turbo. Also does these cars require tunes for intakes like evos?

From what I've read you wouldnt want to run an oiled filter on a DSM, but i'm sure other people would confirm that. From what I hear, their flow is reduced so much when they get a little dirty. They just cause more problems than they're worth. And personally I dont think you'd need a tune just for an intake, stock the cars usually run so rich as is that a bit of extra air would only help you. Even with an intake, IC, exhaust on a full stock setup it was still rich.

Lots of people run an oiled filter. I had an accel kool blue drop in when everything was stock. K&n cone with adapter later. Now I run a larger accel kool blue cone filter. My truck has a K&N drop in as well with 100k driving miles with it installed so far.
The only problem I know of with an oiled filter with a car running a mas is over time the sensor can be "fouled" by oil mist. Which a mas can be cleaned. CRC makes a mas specific spray can cleaner. Pretty easy and cheap. Take it off spray it out let it dry and put it back in. Probably not a bad idea to clean a mas in our cars anyways since most have 100k+ miles on them.

You can also check out some of the "free" mods that used to be on here...may be in the faq now.

I've run K&N on all my cars, never one problem.

The only problem I know of with an oiled filter with a car running a mas is over time the sensor can be "fouled" by oil mist. Which a mas can be cleaned. CRC makes a mas specific spray can cleaner. Pretty easy and cheap. Take it off spray it out let it dry and put it back in. Probably not a bad idea to clean a mas in our cars anyways since most have 100k+ miles on them.
No. Do not clean a dsm mas with any cleaner. Dsms do not run a hot wire mas. They run a karmann vortex sensor. Totally different animal.
Not tune should be required of any car to run a filter/intake. Not dsm or evo.

Ok. What's better o2 dump or recirc?[DOUBLEPOST=1407899089][/DOUBLEPOST]Also any good tuners? I'm in fl and am looking for a good 1

I had exhaust, dp, intake pipe and k&n, MBC, 14b, and AEM WB all untuned@ 15 psi no problems at all.

Tuning is not needed until you get injectors and larger turbos at 15+ psi

What would that put me at? I'm looking to be around 350.. I was thinking fp green[DOUBLEPOST=1407899643][/DOUBLEPOST]Do these have ebc or only manual?

Ok. What's better o2 dump or recirc?[DOUBLEPOST=1407899089][/DOUBLEPOST]Also any good tuners? I'm in fl and am looking for a good 1
Stick to recirc unless you plan on doing a proper speed density tune, otherwise your mpg and performance will be affected. As for a tuner, Cobb is my preference. Not sure if they are in Florida though. Hope this helps.

I dynoed mine with a k n n and stock intake pipe ( bov tube hacked off) and the injen intake kit and it made no diff. On the dyno (the k n n filter area is much bigger than the injen filter)

The green will get you there. Make sure all you maintenance is done and the engine is healthily enough to make 350. Stick to what a proven and it'll be a lot easier to meet that goal. Since you have a 99 you can use ECU flash and Evoscan for tuning.

ECU flash is just connecting with a tactrix right? Is their a program i can download and play with myself?

No. Do not clean a dsm mas with any cleaner. Dsms do not run a hot wire mas. They run a karmann vortex sensor. Totally different animal.
Not tune should be required of any car to run a filter/intake. Not dsm or evo.
Oh man I guess I shouldn't do that again then. I haven't ruined mine yet but then again I only cleaned it once. Thanks

I also run a K&N it does get a bit dirty, but I clean mine about every oil change and haven't had a problem yet.

Hi everyone. After installing a k&n filter, i felt my low end torque decrease And it tooke a little but more time for the turbo to spool. I thought i had a boost leak but after checking, they found none. This is my dyno sheet with the filter. Everything else is stock.

Attachments

• 20150221_211311.jpg
    20150221_211311.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 20150221_211549.jpg
    20150221_211549.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 87
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back