The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Resolved 99 GS to GST

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ventus2geclipse

Probationary Member
Sep 28, 2021
Port St. Lucie, Florida
I have a GS eclipse that's been sitting for a while and the last time it ran the transmission(automatic) blew up and only recently I decided to fix it up and bring it back to life. I have a standard GS-T tranny should i also get the GST 4g63? please let me know if anyone has any tips to get it up and running.

please don't tell me to get a gst or a gsx

Last edited:
Nor will swapping a 4G63T and trans into the GS shell without major fabrication. Your best bet for reviving the 99 GS is to source a replacement transmission either another F4AC1 Automatic or the F5MC1 5-speed that goes with the 420A.

Sell it and get a GST. Im sorry but that this point that's the easiest route. Otherwise, source another used auto trans and call it a day

I have a GS eclipse that's been sitting for a while and the last time it ran the transmission(automatic) blew up and only recently I decided to fix it up and bring it back to life. I have a standard GS-T tranny should i also get the GST 4g63? please let me know if anyone has any tips to get it up and running.

please don't tell me to get a gst or a gsx
Here is how I would answer this question. Do you have the skill set or funds to fabricate mounts for an engine and bolt it into any car. That is essentially what you're doing. The fact that the sheet metal is the same is irrelevant. The only known constant is the frame rails are exactlly the same width but that's not really helpful. In addition you will need to source or fabricate a harness,ecu, axles and Misc bracketry.
That is what it takes to put a 4g63 into a 420a car. If you answered no to the above then the other posted advice remains. Source another 420a compatible transmission.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back